Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone else rather be in the Sun Deck?

Re: Anyone else rather be in the Sun Deck?

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    GREAT!!! Then, my life will be complete! I can die a happy man!!

I've been on MANY Boards, including SteelerNation, that are run the EXACT SAME WAY - by a couple dudes in their spare time. Guess what - it looks EXACTLY LIKE THIS SITE, except for a few advertizements. Donation is OPTIONAL, and there's no Freakin' Elitist BS Zone you have to "APPLY" for.

Other than that, I see your point.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Thanks for the sarcastic response to my good faith effort at commiseration.

Look, I'm not questioning your membership on other boards. I never assumed you were a novice, although posting on other boards by no means makes you qualified to immediately jump to the ORG. The fact that you just joined in February and have 41 posts suggests that you are relatively new by any measure. It takes awhile to understand how things work, and IMO that is for the best.

In my experience, the quality of posts on RedsZone (or at least on the ORG) tends to be higher than the quality on other sports boards I've been on. That's a product of the vision of Boss, GIK, and others. That's what attracted me to this site initially, and that's what keeps me coming back. As I understand it, they wanted to try something different, to try for a Reds community that could be held to a higher standard of analysis and politeness than your run-of-the-mill sports board.

If that's not something you aspire to, then so be it, but calling it an "Elitest BS Zone" is not constructive for anyone. If you don't like it, feel free to post elsewhere. No one is stopping you.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

We have a lot of inexperienced posters on The Sun Deck who tend to post from their heart-there is nothing wrong with that, but it sometimes affects their posts. I would assume as long as you are civil to your fellow posters and try to have a good, reasonable discussion of Reds issues, you will join ORG. I will survive if my application is rejected-I will simply continue to post and enjoy the forum I am in.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    We have a lot of inexperienced posters on The Sun Deck who tend to post from their heart-there is nothing wrong with that, but it sometimes affects their posts. I would assume as long as you are civil to your fellow posters and try to have a good, reasonable discussion of Reds issues, you will join ORG. I will survive if my application is rejected-I will simply continue to post and enjoy the forum I am in.
    That's been my experience. I understand that it can hurt to feel like you are on the "outside" of some superficial boundary, but I've also come around to appreciate the philosophy behind the changes.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

For a Level Playing Field

"Mirror, mirror on the wall... why did this happen? What? I am looking at the reason?!!?" Imagine that.

PEACE.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 06-28-2007 at 09:45 AM.

No one is required to be here, there are numerous Reds forums out there if one doesn't like the way this forum is ran. Although I don't necessarily fully understand the purpose of the changes, this is the way it is. (Or as WK likes to put it, it is what it is...) The great thing about the internet is that if one isn't a fan of the forum, he or she is completely free to create their own site and run it any way they would like. So in the mean time, you might as well try to make quality posts that contribute to the board and enjoy it while you can..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I've been on MANY Boards, including SteelerNation, that are run the EXACT SAME WAY - by a couple dudes in their spare time. Guess what - it looks EXACTLY LIKE THIS SITE, except for a few advertizements. Donation is OPTIONAL, and there's no Freakin' Elitist BS Zone you have to "APPLY" for.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Big Steeler fan, eh?

Why am I not surprised by that?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    The ORG has pretty good posters who uses pythagorean theorem and a lot of seemingly useless baseball stats to prove to me Adam Dunn is a good defensive outfielder. It seems the posters in the Sun Deck are younger and don't understand the game as much as the ORG does. But the ORG has posters who are completely shortsighted who are negative about every little thing a person, especially WK, has done.
    Yes, but the hot tubs and five star service on the ORG are to die for....

Seriously, I don't think anyone has argued that Dunn is good defensively. Some argue that PBP data indicate Dunn's defense dramatically mitigates his value while the other camp argues that while Dunn is bad defensively, the impact that his poor glove has on his value is dramatically overstated.

Concerning a general comment on the typical ORG member's perspective, i'd say the ORG is a very diverse place that may have some prolific posters but really doesn't have a prevailing viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Overall, I like how you have separated the good from bad. But having to vote on a poster is ludicrous to get into the ORG. The reputation system is still in place and I feel like I have to agree with a lot of "important" people on this board or research those same old meaningless baseball stats for 3 hours before I can be considered a "good" poster
    IMHO, neither stats nor the eyes tell the whole story and only through reconciling both can the whole truth be revealed in alot of cases. There seems to be alot of room in that equation for the opinions of old schoolers, statheads and just general baseball fans who don't think of themselves as either. It's each member's unique viewpoint and their ability to express it respectfully that is credited as valuable.

This is a content driven environment. While I can't speak for other ORG members, I personally don't evaluate other posters by consdering whether they agree with me or not. I'm drawn more to other posters that have opinions and an ability to explain/justify why they think the way they do while displaying a willingness to debate their beliefs without becoming defensive. I can most likely learn something from just about everyone who posts here at redszone. Besides the fact that debating/discussing baseball is fun (at least for me), I almost always come away being smarter. That's a neat thing. In the end, the criteria I use when voting is simply this: does the person in question consistently display a willingness to participate in/further a discussion while having something to say?
    Last edited by jojo; 07-07-2007 at 02:17 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Wheels, took the words right out of my mouth.

Never would have pegged this guy for a Squealer fan.

(training camp starts in almost two weeks, btw!)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Big Steeler fan, eh?

Grew up in Cincinnati in the 70's. Born wearing Steeler PJ's.

Just because I knew Good Baseball, doesn't mean I had to deal with bad Football in the same city.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

Wheels, took the words right out of my mouth.

Never would have pegged this guy for a Squealer fan.

(training camp starts in almost two weeks, btw!)
    Yup, and the Steelers are in a real bad way.

Can't wait.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Big Steeler fan, eh?

So am i by the way...just sayin'
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?