Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye REDSZONE

Re: Goodbye REDSZONE

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If this board is so good, why would you want to leave it? You can still post, you can still read, the only thing thats changing is the 'mess' of things that had developed.
    And it's comment's like this that make us "unworthy" posters, feel like it's a popularity contest and that we're direct blame for everything. Reds44, I feel most upset for him. I think I've known him from another forum board and if its the same kid, I have FULL respect for him.

Moving on, I am only commenting on this thread once with my statements. I got the 200 rep points, I posted a joke about getting in to ORG. I stayed in Reds Live!. Why? More conversations, people who you could actually have a conversation with that didnt just ignore you and move on. There were alot of us that did make good posts. We were overlooked or just plain ignored. It happens. It's a internet message board that wants to think it's a Illumanti society where only the "chosen few" can participate in "enlightened conversations" about baseball.

The rest of us..we are what you just called a "mess". So...I have to say this. If we're going to split into two. I'd rather stay where my senses aren't assualted. Where I can be unkempt, unruly and my defenses aren't devoured by spoil bought arrogance. If I have a audience of the most prestigious or not, I'd rather stay with the low and the decadant.

Poverty builds character.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Too subtle?

"We're on the Island of Misfit Toys"

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    ...or we could have just allowed only Old Red Guard members access of any kind and gave everyone else the boot, as was proposed. In fact, that's essentially what Sons of Sam Horn did when they reached a similar dilemma.
    Then go ahead and give us all the boot. Two years ago or whenever you guys did the original split most of us were supportive. We agreed with you something needed to be done. So we went to Reds Live and did what we could to prove our worth. Now for a second time we are being told we are not up to your standards.

Sorry we cant all make donations to message boards. Its like its a game for you guys. You got this tight group that has been here forever and every now and again you get bored so you kick everyone out and set up a new standard to get in. Then when people who have made nothing but positive contributions to this site get pissed we get told to go else where or quit complaning.

I have always bragged to other Reds fans about how great this place is, but you guys really screwed up this time. Thanks for everything before this. kbrake

Well, it's too bad you feel that way. When GIK and I looked at where the site was headed long-term, we were both confident that the status quo wasn't going to work. Whether you agree with the changes or not, (I already know you dont) we felt they were necessary over the long haul. As far as donations, this has absolutely nothing to do with that. We've operated the site for over seven years without making a dime, even though we've had plenty of opportunities to do so. Instead, we founded the site because we're Reds fans and we enjoy the discussions this site offers.

As for this:

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Two years ago or whenever you guys did the original split most of us were supportive
    I was in the same position two years ago and I know that simply wasn't the case. If you think there is a group of people voicing their opposition right now, I know from past experience that it was much more vocal two years ago. I don't expect everyone to agree with the decisions we make (is that possible with 2,500+ people?) but to act as if everyone was on board with the changes two years ago simply isn't true.
    Last edited by Boss-Hog; 05-21-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Personally, I always thought one of the best things about RZ was how different it was--and proud to be so--from the super-elitist sons of sam horn board.

As far as donations, this has absolutely nothing to do with that.

I was in the same position two years ago and I know that simply wasn't the case. If you think there is a group of people voicing their opposition right now, I know from past experience that it was much more vocal two years ago. I don't expect everyone to agree with the decisions we make (is that possible with 2,500+ people?) but to act as if everyone was on board with the changes two years ago simply isn't true.
    To the first part of your post, thats a lie. I am not making this personal so dont take it that way. I disagree with this more than you know but its not on a personal level. Back to my point dont say donations have nothing to do with it because in another post you made today in another thread you said that you guys looked at several things including donations.

To your other point, I was wrong and you are right. Not everyone agreed, but alot of people got over it and did what they could to prove they were worth it. How many times do you expect us to continue to do the same thing?

Do you have any idea how far down the line donations were before they were used a criteria, if they were at all? Go reread my post - I made it clear that it was a one of the last criteria that I personally used and only for the last ~50 users, assuming other criteria were roughly equal. If this was some conspiracy of ours make money off the site, we would have implemented advertising a long, long time ago.

BaseballBum

"Well, it's too bad you feel that way. When GIK and I looked at where the site was headed long-term, we were both confident that the status quo wasn't going to work."

"We've operated the site for over seven years without making a dime, even though we've had plenty of opportunities to do so."

So the status quo wasn't working, but you could have made a profit if you had wanted to? Doesn't really make sense.

Do you have any idea how far down the line donations were before they were used a criteria, if they were at all? Go reread my post - I made it clear that it was a one of the last criteria that I personally used and only for the last ~50 users, assuming other criteria were roughly equal. If this was some conspiracy of ours make money off the site, we would have implemented advertising a long, long time ago.
    Trust me I know its not all about money but it bothers me that if maybe I had made a donation it would have put me over the top and got me into the big kids club.

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballBum View Post
    "Well, it's too bad you feel that way. When GIK and I looked at where the site was headed long-term, we were both confident that the status quo wasn't going to work."

"We've operated the site for over seven years without making a dime, even though we've had plenty of opportunities to do so."

So the status quo wasn't working, but you could have made a profit if you had wanted to? Doesn't really make sense.
    In terms of our mission and reasons for following the site, the overall level of discussion (on multiple forums) was not working in the short-term, nor would it have in the long run. That, however, is independent on if advertising or another form of revenue could have been implemented sometime in the past seven years.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Its a forum. If some of you get so broken up about this, i would HATE to see the drama going on in your lives. Relax folks. Its just growth. Sons of had to deal with it and now its one of the most successful baseball forums out there. We would like to reach those heights.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    To the first part of your post, thats a lie. I am not making this personal so dont take it that way. I disagree with this more than you know but its not on a personal level. Back to my point dont say donations have nothing to do with it because in another post you made today in another thread you said that you guys looked at several things including donations.
    I can vouch for the fact that donations were not an "automatic in" to ORG status. I donated a little bit, I'm not in ORG, and I'm over it.

The name calling today has really irritated me...this thread just proves why unpleasant decisions have been made over the past several years. I don't think I would have made the same choice as the owners, but I certainly would have moved in a similar direction.

LOL

This "new direction" is a joke. I can't believe the moderators are so full of themselves. I am new here so I don't know all the things that have happened in the past, but from my perspective the new changes are no big loss. I will just go to one of the many other boards. No big deal.

If the chosen baseball geniuses don't want to listen to what I have to say then it is their loss not mine.

From I have read on this site I think I know much more about baseball than most of the people in the ORG. They can just continue to dwell in their ignorance while the new blood takes their "business" elsewhere.

I know when I am not welcome.

C' ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If this board is so good, why would you want to leave it? You can still post, you can still read, the only thing thats changing is the 'mess' of things that had developed.
    They can't have a game thread... and that's a big deal on this board.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    It isn't a lie. I know someone who's donated every year and didn't retain ORG status this go around.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?