Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geez, this stinks

Geez, this stinks

To tell you the truth, I kinda actually feel bad. I just feel like the carpet has been ripped out from under me???? I mean don't get me wrong I am not boo-hooing or feeling like I just lost my best friend, but I am quite bummed out by this whole thing.

At 1st I just thought oh well no biggie I'll just post on the Sun Deck I'm sure it will be fine and everything will work itself out in the end. But as I carried on with my usual business I just noticed that this new situation has stuck with me and I feel like I am being cheated somehow. Not because I can no longer post on ORG but because I can no longer post on ORG.....AND if I do get to ever post there again I can't post on the Sun Deck anymore. It just doesn't seem to make any sense too me.

So I have a few questions maybe someone who has some answers can help me with.

1.) What if you are nominated and voted into ORG, do you have any say in not going? Not that I wouldn't necc. want to go but perhaps some (who it might take awhile to get there) would rather stay where they are comfortable.

2.) If someone is nominated and voted in, is there a Veto process by those with the power? Should/Shouldn't there be?

3.) How long does/will this Nomination/Voting process take? (Approximately of course).

4.) Why would you want to split us all up, has it been that bad babysitting us?

5.) At any point (preferably sooner than later) will consideration be given to allowing those with ORG status to post on the Sun Deck. And if not, why?

6.) Where/why the Origin of the name Sun Deck?

Again I am posing these questions just out of some slight degree of shock mixed with a little emotion. I have been here for only a couple of years but I feel like I am now being forced out of my comfort zone (which if I wanted I would post on Reds.scout or something), which is why I come here to a large degree. I know the people and their expected reactions (to some extent) to Reds related material, and whether I agree or disagree with them I appreciate certain things about them all. I mean afterall I come to Redszone as much for the people as I do the news, etc.

I feel like I just got barred from Cheers and told to go down the street to that new bar that just opened up until I can learn to hold my liquor a bit and once I do, I can come back but I can never go to that new bar again. The only difference is I can't sneak into the Sun Deck every now and again and catch up with a few of my new pals. And furthermore I can't bring them into Cheers w/o permission from the whole Daggone bar.

I mean I can live with the idea of not coming back until I can hold my liquor, but not going back occassionally to the new place might just force me to quit drinking alltogether!

Am I alone here, or am I just too damn drunk right now?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Geez, this stinks

Some great words from a fellow Springfielder. Lets go grab a drink together.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Some great words from a fellow Springfielder. Lets go grab a drink together.
    Sometime very soon we need to do that. You, Me and whoever else wants to do it we need to catch a game and a cold one Brother!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Recovering Cubs Fan

Jeez, it's like the Island of Misfit Redszoners around here. Seriously, guys, it's nothing personal. If you're truly ORG material, you'll be there soon. If not, why would you want to be there?

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Jeez, it's like the Island of Misfit Redszoners around here. Seriously, guys, it's nothing personal. If you're truly ORG material, you'll be there soon. If not, why would you want to be there?
    Well actually it is kind of personal. They are personally telling us that our thoughts aren't as good as other peoples. Now its their board and they can do what they want, but people tend to not like being told they aren't as good as others when there is really nothing to base that on.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Think of it as small-time separation anxiety.

We've all grown to love something(this board) over time and suddenly there's a drastic change. There's bound to be a lot of people who don't like it. Personally, I never really saw the need for it, but I was also never here for the so called "glory days" of the board. I guess being here a year I'm still fairly new. But it is what it is, so make the best of it.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Think of it as small-time separation anxiety.

We've all grown to love something(this board) over time and suddenly there's a drastic change. There's bound to be a lot of people who don't like it. Personally, I never really saw the need for it, but I was also never here for the so called "glory days" of the board. I guess being here a year I'm still fairly new. But it is what it is, so make the best of it.
    Yeah, those are my thoughts too. I guess i have noticed some things that appeared to be out of the norm with what RZ used to be (hot chicks, Alyssa Milano videos in the game thread, etc...) and I feel that with time, we'll accept the board as it currently is. Hey, its not like we got shunned by our families, it's an internet forum. Let's be happy we get the privilege to talk baseball with folks all around the globe.
    Witty signature.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Well actually it is kind of personal. They are personally telling us that our thoughts aren't as good as other peoples. Now its their board and they can do what they want, but people tend to not like being told they aren't as good as others when there is really nothing to base that on.
    Well, they kind of do have the overall quality of our posts to base that on. It may seem subjective, but they have a definite feel for what they're looking for of people who "get it" and can contribute in that way. Maybe I'm not taking it so hard because I haven't been here that long and I should just shut up about it, but I guess I'm feeling a need to differentiate myself from the whiners. I really do understand and agree with these changes. I remember reading that "Classic ORG Post" about old-time ballplayers vs. modern athletes and thinking, "whoa, I am so out of my freaking league here".

Now, I can continue to read and learn from the high quality ORG stuff without feeling like I should be trying to contribute on that level, and meanwhile, throw my occasional two cents into the Sun Deck whenever I feel like it. Like I said elsewhere, it's a bit disappointing to be "rejected", but at least they're letting us stay. It's very much like the minor leagues and quite frankly, not everyone is cut out for the bigs.

Since they don't know me personally, I am not taking it personally. However, it kind of feels like grade school when you are the last kid picked.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Yeah, those are my thoughts too. I guess i have noticed some things that appeared to be out of the norm with what RZ used to be (hot chicks, Alyssa Milano videos in the game thread, etc...) and I feel that with time, we'll accept the board as it currently is. Hey, its not like we got shunned by our families, it's an internet forum. Let's be happy we get the privilege to talk baseball with folks all around the globe.
    Oh really?

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Oh really?
    Well, our whole families Mr ORG big man!
    Witty signature.

Hey Boss, how about it? Can you give us/me any feedback on these issues? I think #'s 3 and 4 have been addressed in other threads to some extent, but what about these other questions?

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Hey Boss, how about it? Can you give us/me any feedback on these issues? I think #'s 3 and 4 have been addressed in other threads to some extent, but what about these other questions?

Haven't you read the posted guidelines listed in every forum?

Have you privately asked Boss or GIK by using the PM function to have a discussion.

Or, are you just full of sound and fury, signifying nothing?

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Mario, I'll try and answer as many of these as we can. Boss and I haven't had the chance to discuss some of these as the chang was just implemented. We'll need to spend some time going through a number of items that have been brought up the past day+.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

1.) What if you are nominated and voted into ORG, do you have any say in not going? Not that I wouldn't necc. want to go but perhaps some (who it might take awhile to get there) would rather stay where they are comfortable.
    Honestly, I'm not sure how we'll handle this. If you submit an application, then obviously you'd want in, but if you're nominated without your knowledge and don't want to leave The Sun Deck, then it's something we'll have to discuss. Again, I don't know. Looks like policy that Boss and I need to write.

2.) If someone is nominated and voted in, is there a Veto process by those with the power? Should/Shouldn't there be?
    All members who are nominated first go through Boss and I before a vote takes place, so in theory, the Veto process would have already taken place. So, after a vote is over and if that member "makes it", then they are in. Boss and I would not overturn a vote at that point.

3.) How long does/will this Nomination/Voting process take? (Approximately of course).
    Once a poll goes live, the voting runs for a minimum 72 hours and must have a minimum of 50 votes (either 'Yes' or 'No') before it is classified as an official vote.

4.) Why would you want to split us all up, has it been that bad babysitting us?
    To me, The Old Red Guard is RedsZone. We could have decided to boot the second baseball forum altogether, but The Sun Deck is very useful and I do like the idea of allowing MORE baseball talk. The model we have implemented here is very similar to the one used by the Son's of Sam Horn (SOSH), a Red Sox baseball forum. It has worked well for them and I think it will work well here.

To address you babysitting comment, in all honesty, moderating is not fun. It's VERY time consuming and no one here gets paid. So, if this helps both me and my mods to cut down on our adminstrative work, then that to me is a good thing.

5.) At any point (preferably sooner than later) will consideration be given to allowing those with ORG status to post on the Sun Deck. And if not, why?
    Again, The Old Red Guard (to me) is RedsZone. It IS the baseball forum. ORG members should post in the ORG. It also allows for those in the Sun Deck to rise to the top of the forum and contribute more - because there are less people posting.

6.) Where/why the Origin of the name Sun Deck?
    It's a reference to Crosley Field and also a great area of the stadium to catch a game. We wanted to use a baseball reference and I was never partial to "RedsLive".

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Haven't you read the posted guidelines listed in every forum?

Have you privately asked Boss or GIK by using the PM function to have a discussion.

Or, are you just full of sound and fury, signifying nothing?

Actually I thought he had legitimate questions that someone should answer. And maybe if there was one place to go FAQ for the changes you wouldn't be seeing all of these questions pop up.

/sound and fury off.

Turn Off Ads?