Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Update on Former Reds Farmhand

Update on Former Reds Farmhand

Just a little update. Last year we claimed Brandon Watson off waivers, then I believe released him in the offseason. I know he hasn't had Major League success, but he is currently batting .327 in Columbus, with a 25 game hitting streak. Much rather have him up than DeWayne Wise.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Update on Former Reds Farmhand

One word LEATHERPANTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    One word LEATHERPANTS!!!
    What does he have to do with this? He gave up Watson, so did we.

I've seen Columbus play three times this year and in all three games Watson looked completely overwhelmed at the plate by AAA pitchers. The only hits he collected were infield hits and bunt hits. He only sports a .744 OPS with that .329 BA and only 6 of his 51 hits have been for extra bases. He is incredibly fast but I can't see him being much different than a Dewayne Wise at the major league level.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    What does he have to do with this? He gave up Watson, so did we.
    RE: Bowden: Columbus is now the Nationals AAA Club, so if he's at Columbus, he's in Washington's system.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Just a little update. Last year we claimed Brandon Watson off waivers, then I believe released him in the offseason. I know he hasn't had Major League success, but he is currently batting .327 in Columbus, with a 25 game hitting streak. Much rather have him up than DeWayne Wise.
    I'd almost rather have Bubba Crosby up than DeWayne Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I'd almost rather have Bubba Crosby up than DeWayne Wise.
    I think Bubba is still hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    RE: Bowden: Columbus is now the Nationals AAA Club, so if he's at Columbus, he's in Washington's system.
    whoops. missed that one. Thanks. Still thinking Yankees.

Not Laughing

Update on Brandon Watson....the hitting streak is up to 40 games now. Pretty impressive if you ask me, regardless of what level it is.

Watson sparks Clippers
    June 14, 2007 - Brandon Watson went 3-for-5 to extend his hitting streak to 40 games as Columbus took a 3-2 victory over host Ottawa on Thursday.
    Watson led off the game with a double to left field to match Frosty Kennedy's 1953 streak for the 13th-longest in Minor League history. He also singled and scored in the third, and added a base hit in the sixth to raise his batting average to .335.

"It's definitely an honor," Watson said of the streak. "I'm having fun with it."

Next up for the 25-year-old center fielder is Jack Lelivelt, who set the International League record with a 42-game streak in 1912. But that's not Watson's main goal.

"I'm just trying to get on base," he said. "The streak is in the back of my head, but I'm just trying to get on base."

Watson is more concerned with helping the Clippers (30-36) and getting back to the Major League level than superstitions or tinkering with his stance.

"We won, so it's a good thing for everyone," he said. "I'm taking the same approach, I'm coming in the same way everyday, The streak has been wonderful, but it's not all skill."

The Clippers broke a 2-2 tie in the seventh when Juan Brito's bases-loaded grounder to third base plated Kory Casto. Darnell McDonald added three hits and a run scored.

Reliever Alexis Morales (1-0) got the win after yielding one hit and a walk with three strikeouts over 1 2/3 scoreless frames. Luis Ayala and Arnie Munos each pitched a scoreless inning before Chris Booker tossed a perfect ninth for his 18th save, second-most in the International League.

Ottawa reliever John Ennis (3-1) gave up one run on three hits and two walks with three strikeouts in 1 1/3 innings.

Gary Burnham hit a solo shot, his first, in the fifth, and Pedro Swann went 2-for-2 with a run scored and two walks for the Lynx (27-35). --Michael Blinn/MLB.com
    It's pretty impressive that he has had, I think, 19 infield his over the course of the streak. Most of his hits are singles, he has had something like 7 extra base hits over the duration of the streak

I haven't been to a Clippers game for years but if he keeps this up through next weekend when they return home, I might head down.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Not Laughing

Watson is up to 43 games now...
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I went to a Clippers game a few weeks ago and was front row box behind the Clippers dugout. Between innings when Brandon wasnt batting, he would make faces at my 1 yr old and she would be cracking up.

Super nice guy and seemed down to earth. Funny he is doing so well while not studying pitchers but rather making babies laugh, but hey, whatever works.

Turn Off Ads?