Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

So, Rooney broke his foot?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's our roster as named by Arena:

US squad for Germany:
    Goalkeepers: Kasey Keller (Borussia Monchengladbach), Tim Howard (Manchester United), Marcus Hahnemann (Reading)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Cory Gibbs (ADO Den Haag), Chris Albright (LA Galaxy), Eddie Lewis (Leeds United), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege), Eddie Pope (Real Salt Lake)

Midfielders: Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution), Claudio Reyna (Manchester City), John O'Brien (Chivas USA), Ben Olsen (DC United), DaMarcus Beasley (PSV Eindhoven), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), Bobby Convey (Reading)

Forwards: Brian McBride (Fulham), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Josh Wolff (Kansas City Wizards), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo).

(Albright is a replacement for Hedjuk, who is injured)
    I'm surprised that Twellman isn't on the roster, but based on the amount of playing time he gets w/the US, I'm not sure he's an "Arena guy."

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    So, Rooney broke his foot?
    Yeh it doesn't look good Sven says he will take him anyway hoping he could make the later stages. This has opened the door for 17 year old Theo Walcott of Arsenal who has yet to make an appearence for the gunners !!!!!

He is seriously quick, rumours are that in a 100m sprint he beat Henry by 10yrds . I think it's worth the gamble in taking him, could be the impact player we need ala Owen in 98.

Crossing my fingers for the Roonmeister but doubt he will be ready in time

By the way, I have booked the first 2 weeks off work games kick off at 2pm 5pm and 8pm BST every day for the first 2 weeks !!!!

FOOTBALL HEAVEN

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK
    Yeh it doesn't look good Sven says he will take him anyway hoping he could make the later stages. This has opened the door for 17 year old Theo Walcott of Arsenal who has yet to make an appearence for the gunners !!!!!

He is seriously quick, rumours are that in a 100m sprint he beat Henry by 10yrds . I think it's worth the gamble in taking him, could be the impact player we need ala Owen in 98.

Crossing my fingers for the Roonmeister but doubt he will be ready in time

By the way, I have booked the first 2 weeks off work games kick off at 2pm 5pm and 8pm BST every day for the first 2 weeks !!!!

FOOTBALL HEAVEN
    Bad luck about Rooney. I'm going to have to call BS about Walcott beating Henry by 10 yards in a sprint, though. Ryan Freel probably can't beat Scott Hatteberg by 10 yards over a 100 yard sprint. On the other hand, Henry can fly, so anyone who can beat him by a stride in a sprint is cooking. How is Walcott in the air? With Beckam delivering the ball, a top notch attacker in the air is a powerful weapon.

Walcott's the reserve. England will more than likely play with a 4-5-1 which means that you'll either have Owen or Crouch up front with Rooney if fit in the midfield. That's why England has only gone with the four strikers.

Rooney wouldn't play midfield !!! maybe just sitting of the main striker but that would be a more 4-4-1-1 than 4-5-1. If Rooney isn't fit you could maybe see Carrick getting the holding role in midfield sat in front of the back four, allowing Lampard and Gerrard to support the front man.

If this did happen I feel the fans would get very frustrated if things didn't go our way early on in games. It would probably be ok in the group games.

Walcott is not known for being strong in the air, but if the right ball is played to him I'm sure he would do the business.

England fans are going crazy. S.G.E. is considered by many to have officially gone insane.

Raw Owl -I agree that its more of a 4-4-1-1 with Rooney playing the Scholes role in the previous World Cup. However, I'm pretty sure thats what the English will go with first up. If it doesn't work the problem is that without a fit Rooney the squad can't really change around. Walcott and Owen are much the same kind of striker and as much as I hate to say it they should have left Crouch at home. Bent would have been the much better option.

The Aussies just announced their squad and no real surprises. Even with all the concern over Schwarzer and Cahill the one guy they need to keep it cotton wool is Hiddink.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    England fans are going crazy. S.G.E. is considered by many to have officially gone insane.
    Hopefully there are no attractive secretaries around to cause another scandal for Sven. God knows that's the last thing England's drama queen squad needs at this point.

Given McClaren's performance in the UEFA Cup this morning I don't think there will be much change in the management style after the World Cup either.

For those interested FA Cup Final this Saturday. The REDS v the Hammers.

Middlesbrough were garbage last night BUT a fine acheivement to reach a major european final . The BIG one is next Wednesday.

ARSENAL V BARCELONA --The Champions League Final.

Maybe for English soccer supporters but the big one is Saturday - REDS to win.

I was more on about his performance after the defeat - could he have been less gracious.

Italian soccer federation is going through a HUGE investigation right now.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...367724&cc=5739
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Walcott's girlfriend probably doesn't know whats hit her at the moment !!!!! She will be in the newspapers everyday for the next few months , poor girl.

How is the build up going over there ? Is world cup fever catching stateside ?

it's not a fever, but there is certainly more buzz than I remember from the last two years.

Gatorade has a commercial with the US soccer squad, and ESPN has been running a lot of commercials for the World Cup.

Definately a lot more attention than in previous years.

But fever, no, I'm considering taking comp time to make sure I can watch the US games. The last World Cup I was unemployed which made it much easier to find time to watch the games.

Stupid Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?