Turn Off Ads?

Thread: General Observations

New here

Hello everybody, I grew up probably like most of you a Big Red Machine fan. I have been a fan for life. I live in Virginia and work for the Railroad there. I watch just about every game on MLB extra innings. It hurts me to see the team in such a mess. I dont know how to fix it but I got a couple of ideas.
    First, I keep Dunn, Phillips, Hamilton, Gonzales, EE, Hopper, Freel, Harang, Bailey. With what is left I dump---yes Arroyo.
    Second, if we finish with the worst record and get the first pick in the draft. Draft a MLB ready power pitcher and build the Bullpen.
    Lastly, I go get a real manager. Not a cost-cutter type but one you can count on( Davy Johnson, Giradi, Mazzoni, Baylor,Baker,etc.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: General Observations

I was in Virginia the other day. I was wearing my Reds cap. It surprised me how many people there saw my hat and wanted to talk about the Reds. The Nationals have cut into it somewhat, but the Reds seem to have a very large following in Virginia. Good.

I agree with most of what you said. I wouln't feel the need to keep Hopper though. Arroyo should be kept.

With the first pick in the draft I would take a college pitcher or a super-stud hitter. I believe there is a can't miss shortstop from Florida in the ARod mold. That would be nice. The first pick can be a real franchise-turning moment, but sometimes the guy never pans out. It is a great opportunity though.

Re: New here

Quote Originally Posted by nstom45 View Post
    Hopper,
    You'd go out of your way to keep Hopper? I certainly wouldn't hold up any trades over him.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Whoever they hire to be manager, I would go balls out to bring Leo Mazzone in here from Baltimore to run the pitching staff. He only went to Baltimore to be with his buddy Perlozzi. Hell, I'd even hire Perlozzi as a bench coach just to get him here. Wasn't Perlozzi a coach in Cincy once?

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Whoever they hire to be manager, I would go balls out to bring Leo Mazzone in here from Baltimore to run the pitching staff. He only went to Baltimore to be with his buddy Perlozzi. Hell, I'd even hire Perlozzi as a bench coach just to get him here. Wasn't Perlozzi a coach in Cincy once?
    Yes, under Piniella.
    Xavier University Football - undefeated since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I can't see Mazzone wanting to get within one thousand miles of this dreadful pitching staff. He is going to pick a team with a current staff or potentially better staff than what the Reds have to offer.

Sam Perlozzo was a coach in the early 90's for the Reds.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?