Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 7/17/07 - Reds vs. Braves Game Thread

Re: 7/17/07 - Reds vs. Braves Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    The indifference was the first baseman playing back. In that situation, no throw gets Renteria.

I prefer some more range at 1B in that situation. The runner is irrelevant.
    Thanks. If that's the case then I understand the play. Unfortunately, I had a filet mignon that needed to get off the grill right now! and didn't see that.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oneupper, thanks again for the play-by-play. I wasn't able to be in the game thread during the game tonight, but I enjoyed reading your PBP just now.

Bronson Arroyo pitched a great game, and David Weathers was able to put out the fire. Something has to be done about Mike Stanton, though.

Ken Griffey, Jr. just continues to amaze! I think we are seeing just how good a healthy Junior can be.

I also really like Jeff Keppinger. I think he can really help out the bench as the utility infielder. He is versatile defensively, and he can hit!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Why take EE out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Absolutely Stupid! Why remove your best defensive 3rd baseman?
    It wasn't stupid. It was a double-switch, because Mack wanted to keep Weathers in the game. (The 9-1-2 spots were due up in the top of the ninth, so Weathers would have been scheduled to lead off without the double-switch.) Yes, the Reds' best defensive 3B was taken out, but the best defensive SS (Lopez) entered the game in his place. The Reds could have taken Ross out in the double-switch, but that would have removed the best defensive catcher.

I don't have a problem with removing Encarnacion in this instance, because double-switches are sometimes a necessary part of the game.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

The "baseball guy" mindset continues. After tonight's game, Mac was heard to say:

"I'm going to keep putting (Stanton) in those situations. He didn't pitch as well tonight as he wil in the future."

What? Are you blind, Pete? This guy has nothing but a slow curve that intelligent hitters will figure out the second time they see it. Let him be a positive clubhouse influence and keep him on the bench.

He can't pitch anymore.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    "I'm going to keep putting (Stanton) in those situations. He didn't pitch as well tonight as he wil in the future."
    Pete better keep comments like that to himself and not act upon them or I may have to resign as his campaign manager.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

What's supposed to change all of a sudden for a 40+ year old who clearly has almost nothing left in the tank? The best he'll do is tease you for a short few outings and then blow up like gasoline meeting a lit match.

They can put him in all the 6-0 games they want, I don't care. He won't give up 4 or 5 runs every time. Just keep him out of the close ones.

The wind was blowing in hard from left earlier. Wonder if it wasn't a factor.
    I was in the front row of the right field stands last night. I can guarantee that wind was not at all a factor last night.

The oppressive humidity, on the other hand...

The indifference was the first baseman playing back. In that situation, no throw gets Renteria.

I prefer some more range at 1B in that situation. The runner is irrelevant.
    Along the same lines...

With the Reds up 2-0 in the 5th, Jo Jo Reyes (the pitcher) singled to put runners on first & third with one out and the top of the Braves lineup coming up.

With Phillips and Keppinger at DP depth, and Conine holding...the pitcher.., LH Willie Harris had a monstrously huge hole to hit through on the right side.

Seems to me that you forget about Reyes - he's not gonna try to swipe second under any scenario. He's a pitcher. It's basically going to take a triple to get him home. Instead, you pull Conine off the bag to close the gaping hole on the left side of the diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    They can put him in all the 6-0 games they want, I don't care. He won't give up 4 or 5 runs every time. Just keep him out of the close ones.
    As long as "those situations" means blowouts and not the 8th inning, I can live with it.

However, I don't think we've seen the end of Mike Stanton in a close game.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Along the same lines...

With the Reds up 2-0 in the 5th, Jo Jo Reyes (the pitcher) singled to put runners on first & third with one out and the top of the Braves lineup coming up.

With Phillips and Keppinger at DP depth, and Conine holding...the pitcher.., LH Willie Harris had a monstrously huge hole to hit through on the right side.

Seems to me that you forget about Reyes - he's not gonna try to swipe second under any scenario. He's a pitcher. It's basically going to take a triple to get him home. Instead, you pull Conine off the bag to close the gaping hole on the left side of the diamond.
    I'll have to disagree on that one. JoJo is a young guy, who was used as PH the night before. He can probably run a bit.

Pull Conine off the bag and Jojo's taking second. I don't want to put the tying
    run at second with one out.

With a wider lead...you can do that. Up only two, no way.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Wrong thread.

I love the Braves announcer on that last KO he said well if he didn't go around on the last check swing he sure didn't swing on this one and they showed the replay and he goes well he did. Yes, he did. It was funny. he was so sure of himself.

opps wrong game.

Dammit, wrong thread again
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-18-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Wow. What a blast.

Turn Off Ads?