Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 7/22/07 - Reds vs. Marlins Game Thread

Re: 7/22/07 - Reds vs. Marlins Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    fixing the pen is an imperative. The Indians went about by giving a ton of different guys in the organization a chance. Hopefully the Reds will do that and focus on guys that can miss bats. I would have no problem with Bailey spending some time in the pen. He reminded me an awful lot of Wainwright of St Louis although I think Wainwright has a much better curveball.
    Unfortunately, my knowledge of how good our young pitchers are is limited due to time, so I'm asking. How do some of the minor league gurus see the AAA and AA pitching?

I've maintained, unintelligently, that I'd rather see the kids up here than what we have. How wise is this sentiment?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Just an FYI- if we're expecting Arroyo to average 7.0 IP or more every time out, we need to realize that from 2005 to current only Brandon Webb, Chris Carpenter, and Livan Hernandez have posted a single season averaging that many IP. We also might want to note that Arroyo finished fourth in the NL in 2006 IP per Start at 6.86. Even during a somewhat down season for Arroyo, he's in the top half of NL ERA qualifiers in IP per Start (6.25) and is slightly ahead of John Smoltz, Rich Hill, Matt Cain, Chris Young, and Tom Glavine. He's way ahead of Greg Maddux (5.91), Dontrelle Willis (5.76), and Barry Zito (5.71).

Arroyo isn't an ace, he's not as good as his 2006 ERA, but being pretty good at gobbling up Innings each start isn't really an Arroyo weakness when we view his numbers in proper context.

These magical 7+ IP guys don't actually exist in the NL in any kind of number, and they don't post seasonal averages topping 7 or more Innings with any kind of regularity.
    Exactly.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm surprised some of you geniuses can get out of bed in the morning without your giant heads snapping your necks.

“And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Just an FYI- if we're expecting Arroyo to average 7.0 IP or more every time out, we need to realize that from 2005 to current only Brandon Webb, Chris Carpenter, and Livan Hernandez have posted a single season averaging that many IP. We also might want to note that Arroyo finished fourth in the NL in 2006 IP per Start at 6.86. Even during a somewhat down season for Arroyo, he's in the top half of NL ERA qualifiers in IP per Start (6.25) and is slightly ahead of John Smoltz, Rich Hill, Matt Cain, Chris Young, and Tom Glavine. He's way ahead of Greg Maddux (5.91), Dontrelle Willis (5.76), and Barry Zito (5.71).

Arroyo isn't an ace, he's not as good as his 2006 ERA, but being pretty good at gobbling up Innings each start isn't really an Arroyo weakness when we view his numbers in proper context.

These magical 7+ IP guys don't actually exist in the NL in any kind of number, and they don't post seasonal averages topping 7 or more Innings with any kind of regularity.
    The feeling on here was that the Reds should start thinking about yanking Arroyo after he hits 100 pitches, regardless of situation.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The feeling on here was that the Reds should start thinking about yanking Arroyo after he hits 100 pitches, regardless of situation.
    That seems about right.

Cyclone did some great research on that back about 6 weeks or so ago, to which I was very resistant at the time.

I think he was right, and I was wrong.

Those 129 pitches, on May16th, in San Diego, put Arroyo off his game for about a month.

Once he recovered, his FB was back up to 90-91 with some movement, which makes his offspeed stuff all the better.

Arroyo knows how to pitch. I was all for trading him last week for Salty, and I'm still up in the air about that (mostly because I feel Saltalamacchia is such a rare talent).

Bottom line is that this team needs more guys like Bronson Arroyo.
    sorry we're boring

Well, thanks to all for the play-by-play and commentary. I also recorded the game and watched it this morning. It looked like Arroyo didn't have his good stuff, but gave the Reds a solid effort. I would have pulled him after six innings. The bullpen imploded again (big surprise), though I thought Gosling did OK. The offense blew numerous opportunities that could have changed the tide of game. On a positive note, I thought Keppinger and Dunn looked good at the plate. I would start Keppinger at SS tonight. (Kepp would be the offensive SS, and Lopez would be the defensive replacement.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I guess me taking 2 days off didn't make this team any better

Too bad they got pounded, not just beat. Glad I missed most of it, and only saw the scores on my cell phone. The frustration wouldn't have mixed well with the alcohol consumption Saturday and the recovery process Sunday
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-23-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Dan0 sighting

Turn Off Ads?