Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 08/05/2007- Minor League Updates.

Re: 08/05/2007- Minor League Updates.

There is 1 point I wish to make. With Griffey and Dunn set to have expired contracts after next year, we will shortly have room for 2 starting outfielders. It is crystal-clear Bruce will be one of them, but who will be the second? Chris Dickerson may never be better than a fourth outfielder, but we will need someone to start in the outfield. He may never be a starting outfielder, but we will need someone to start in the short term.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thats also like saying at the rate Dunn or Howard strike out they couldn't put up a .350 OBP.... but somehow they do it just fine. He doesn't have the power like they do, but he also plays a premiere defensive position unlike the other two guys I mentioned.
    Dunn and Howard are able to strike out excessively because they hit 40 homers a year. If most of those homers turned into balls in play, "Dickerson", you'd see their averages and OBP drop drastically. Based on what Dickerson has done this year between AA and AAA, here's what his numbers would look like stretched out over 600 plate appearances with a BABIP of .310. The NL average is .298, but I'll give Dickerson some slack based on his speed....

Code:
    600PA  522AB  331BIP  .310BABIP  .220/.313/.343/.656  115H  65BB  180K  12HR  14doubles 7triples
    Unless he cuts back on the K's, I have a hard time seeing Dickerson putting up even respectable OBP's at the big league level. 4th outfielder at best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Dunn and Howard are able to strike out excessively because they hit 40 homers a year. If most of those homers turned into balls in play, "Dickerson", you'd see their averages and OBP drop drastically. Based on what Dickerson has done this year between AA and AAA, here's what his numbers would look like stretched out over 600 plate appearances with a BABIP of .310. The NL average is .298, but I'll give Dickerson some slack based on his speed....

Code:
    600PA  522AB  331BIP  .310BABIP  .220/.313/.343/.656  115H  65BB  180K  12HR  14doubles 7triples
    Unless he cuts back on the K's, I have a hard time seeing Dickerson putting up even respectable OBP's at the big league level. 4th outfielder at best IMO.
    I think this could be accurate, but its time to find out about him. I do think a switch has flipped in the last few months for him. As a ++ defender in CF who can pinch run, he's at minimum a better bench player than say Conine. Waive Conine, let Keppinger get the RH ABs at 1B and call up Dickerson. Start Dickerson for a while in CF and see how he does. Freel and Hopper can play caddies for Dunn and Griffey for late game defense/occasional off days or pinch hit or pinch run.

This team needs to see if it can get by with these lower dollar guys in some roles so higher $ guys (i.e. Freel) can be dealt in the winter.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

My Grandfather and I went to the Dragons game last night (8.5.07).

What a great stadium. All of the staff were very friendly, it was very clean and you were definatley right up on the field. It took a little bit to get used to the slower speed of the pitching and the greatly reduced hitting. That said, the Dragons pitching, in true Reds fashon, surrendered at least 3 homers to the Beloit Snappers IIRC.

We were on the 1b line in row 10 and Logan Parker is one big dude. He may never make it to the bigs, but compared to the other players around him (at least in size) he was a man amoungst boys. Got a couple of hits along the way IIRC.

My new favorite name of all time is Kaltavious Jones. All.Time.

Stubbs had two long drives that ultimatley were long outs.

All in all, a great experience. Suddenly, I'm much more interested in this part of the forum.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-06-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    My Grandfather and I went to the Dragons game last night (8.5.07).

What a great stadium. All of the staff were very friendly, it was very clean and you were definatley right up on the field. It took a little bit to get used to the slower speed of the pitching and the greatly reduced hitting. That said, the Dragons pitching, in true Reds fashon, surrendered at least 3 homers to the Beloit Snappers IIRC.

We were on the 1b line in row 10 and Logan Parker is one big dude. He may never make it to the bigs, but compared to the other players around him (at least in size) he was a man amoungst boys. Got a couple of hits along the way IIRC.

My new favorite name of all time is Kaltavious Jones. All.Time.

Stubbs had two long drives that ultimatley were long outs.

All in all, a great experience. Suddenly, I'm much more interested in this part of the forum.
    Yeah I sat roughly the same place you did about a month ago. I had a very nice experience as well, as always there. I thought the same about Parker as well but Stubbs stood out for his size even moreso too me. Of course he was on base alot more that day perhaps.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Cody Strait Triples and scores his second run of the day off a single by Justin Tordi putting Sarasota up 2-0.

Tordi, with 2 promotions this year, but in a fashion that stats people would go, "what?".

Started at Billings in 70 AB's w/ .214/.295/.329 (.624 OPS)
    Promoted to Dayton 67 AB's w/ .209/.254/.269 (.523 OPS)
    Now up w/ Sarasota 24 AB's w/ .292/.320/.417 (.737 OPS)

Played 3 years at Univ of Miami, and has now had 13 months of Pro Ball. Played Catcher last year and 19 games at SS for Billings this year, at Dayton 13 games at SS, 5 at DH, 3 at 3B, and 2 at C, at Sarasota 6 games at 3B, 1 at 2B, and again today at 2B.

Tordi played at the University of Florida not Miami. The Dragons player who is a Hurricane is Eddy Rodriguez.

Turn Off Ads?