Turn Off Ads?

Thread: BA & BP Positional Rankings

BA & BP Positional Rankings

Don't have subscriptions to either.

But from what I've heard, according to both sources Matt Antonelli is the top 2B prospect in the minors.
    From BP:

(On 7/26/07)

1. Matt Antonelli, Padres
    Hitting: .314/.409/.499 at High-A (82 G); .409/.519/.659 at Double-A (12 G)

The first-round pick of the Padres in last year's draft, Antonelli went homerless in his pro debut, and far too quickly got a rep as a singles hitter with on-base skills and decent speed. One year later, he’s the top prospect in the minors at the position, but that's because Antonelli can hit, has shown very real power potential, and is suddenly looking like the kind of player who could put up 20-20 seasons with near-.400 on-base percentages. That’s all-star territory, and nobody else on the list has shown that kind of potential.

Edit: Antonelli's up-to-the-minute numbers as of 8/8/07: .357/.466/.607 in 84 ABs at AA

It's almost like I was looking into a crystal ball 14 months ago.
    Last edited by 15fan; 08-08-2007 at 01:56 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA & BP Positional Rankings

Antonelli's pretty sweet (I wanted him back in the 2003 draft), but I'd still rather have Tim Lincecum.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Yep, Linecum was a no-brainer.

But if there were concerns (signability, durability, projectibility, whatever), Antonelli would have been a stout 1A.

Seems to me that after pitching, MI depth is probably the second most valuable area for an organization to have depth. Phillips at the ML level and Antonelli on the farm woulda been a nice combo.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Phillips at the ML level and Antonelli on the farm woulda been a nice combo.
    I concur. It reminds me of the Braves with McCann and Saltalamacchia. Even if Antonelli was blocked in the foreseeable future with the Reds, imagine the haul he could bring in a trade.

Turn Off Ads?