Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: 8/15/07 - Reds vs. Cubs Game Thread

Re: 8/15/07 - Reds vs. Cubs Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    No, but some imperfections are more forgivable then others.
    Junior's still a joy to watch play the game, and maybe he has earned the respect that you don't remove him for any reason.

Even Ruth got booed, and booed badly.

An aging ballplayer is not a pretty sight.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    I still love Junior. Nobody's perfect.
    Huh? Wow, strange way to show love, Eric.

I prefer to look at the statistics. And no one can doubt his heart is in the right place. So they caught him in a bad moment (as the press sometimes does). So what. He's still far and away the most talented player on this team at 37 years old.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Junior's still a joy to watch play the game, and maybe he has earned the respect that you don't remove him for any reason.
    Or maybe just the benefit of the doubt that everyone has a bad day at the office and says something they shouldn't from time to time.

I dunno.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Or maybe just the benefit of the doubt that everyone has a bad day at the office and says something they shouldn't from time to time.

I dunno.
    I agree.

That's why this is what I first posted over at the thread, "Griffey upset", before I even came over to the game thread.

"I hope this was just a knee-jerk reaction by Junior, and that he's not serious."
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote of the night, from the mouth of Lou:

"It seems like we're in a pennant race," Piniella said. "I'm not too damn sure."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Maybe not...but he should get a fair shake.

Like I said earlier...LET ME SEE. The crap that you spout about nothing in this organization will be any good, whether it turns out to be or not, without ever seeing is just that...CRAP.

Get a look...who has a chance, who doesnt? One may surprise...but you don't know that if you just assume it all stinks because it's the Reds.
    Make a list of all the pitchers on the Reds who have had a modicum of success this year.

What do they all have in common? (Hint: they aren't Reds' farm products).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Make a list of all the pitchers on the Reds who have had a modicum of success this year.

Its a short list, but:

Brad Salmon

[LOU BROWN VOICE]

"I figure it would take 33 wins to give us the pennant. Every day we win a game, we peel one off.

[/END LOU BROWN VOICE]

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I don't care where they come from....whether they were Reds farmhands from the get go or whether they came from another organization and are Reds farmhands now...who cares?

- Coutlanges has been off and on, but he's shown the ability to get people out, but since he came from San Fran, I guess he doesn't count.

- Salmon (as someone said)

- Livingston hasn't hurt himself (again, I guess he doesn't count since he came from another organization)

- I'm not giving up on Bailey, although you might be
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-16-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I don't care where they come from....whether they were Reds farmhands from the get go or whether they came from another organization and are Reds farmhands now...who cares?

- Coutlanges has been off and on, but he's shown the ability to get people out, but since he came from San Fran, I guess he doesn't count.

- Salmon (as someone said)

- Livingston hasn't hurt himself (again, I guess he doesn't count since he came from another organization)

- I'm not giving up on Bailey, although you might be
    Bailey's a bullpen arm if I've ever seen one.

And you should care where they come from. It matters; it says a bunch about their training.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Its a short list, but:

Brad Salmon
    Well, the jury's obviously still very much out on him--some reasons to be hopeful (K rate), but some reasons to be dubious (HRs) and (BBs).

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Well, the jury's obviously still very much out on him--some reasons to be hopeful (K rate), but some reasons to be dubious (HRs) and (BBs).
    The jury is still out on all the young pitchers who have come up this season, to be fair.

Because they struggle now doesn't mean they'll always struggle. Just because a guy is doing well now doesn't mean they'll pan out to be anything.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-16-2007 at 02:05 PM.

High five!

Why? You said "a modicum of success." I'd say he's done that.

My jury's gone home and collected their $13.50/day.

We must not have calibrated our modicumeters the same.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Why? You said "a modicum of success." I'd say he's done that.

My jury's gone home and collected their $13.50/day.

We must not have calibrated our modicumeters the same.
    Twenty innings: tomato, tomahto. Sure, a modicum. But then regarding what he did as "success" begs the question with a sample size that small. But whatever...

Is giving up 3 dingers and 8 BBs in 20 IP a "success?" Hardly.

As I said, I don't think "success" or "failure"--modicum or otherwise--can be declared at this point.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 08-16-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Turn Off Ads?