Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 8/20/07 - Reds vs Braves Game Thread

Re: 8/20/07 - Reds vs Braves Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That's a little harsh when part of the problem is most likely due to coming back from TJ surgery in less than a year and this is someone who was a good reliever for many years. He shouldn't be pitching this year is the answer, but I think you are overstating the reason for the updates on Guardado. I really don't have an excuse for the Reds giving him this chance, but he was getting minor leaguers out from what I heard reported in his rehab stints.
    He was getting minor leaguers out to the tune of a .355/.429/.613/1.041 OPS against in Louisville. That must be the new definition of effective right there.

Guardado's going to be 37 in less than two months, and his arm is shot. He's had a nice career, but his time is in the past. Unfortunately for the Reds, neither the front office nor Guardado have figured that out.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Kepp walks.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    nor Guardado have figured that out.
    I think EG probably has, he just has several million reasons to not yet admit it.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I don't disagree with you. There comes a point--whether you are winning or losing--when you take your big guns out of the game.
    Just my opinion, but in big-league ball I don't think there's an unwritten rule about pulling your starters. After all, you can't put them back in the game if your bullpen blows the lead. It would have been perfectly sensible for Cox to lift some guys and give them a breather, but he wasn't bound to do it on sportsmanship grounds, IMHO.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

He was getting minor leaguers out to the tune of a .355/.429/.613/1.041 OPS against in Louisville. That must be the new definition of effective right there.

Guardado's going to be 37 in less than two months, and his arm is shot. He's had a nice career, but his time is in the past. Unfortunately for the Reds, neither the front office nor Guardado have figured that out.
    No, I heard reports on his various rehab stints, some were good, some were not so good, but he was not getting rocked in every on of the stints that I heard reports on. That is all I was saying.

I know its a blowout, but this is a game meant to enjoy. Next time, I will certainly base my thoughts on a few innings pitched in a rehab stint than come posting in a game thread with mere anecdotal evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Just my opinion, but in big-league ball I don't think there's an unwritten rule about pulling your starters. After all, you can't put them back in the game if your bullpen blows the lead. It would have been perfectly sensible for Cox to lift some guys and give them a breather, but he wasn't bound to do it on sportsmanship grounds, IMHO.
    I'm not saying that you take them out for sportsmanship. I'm saying that in a blowout game like this, you should take them out to give them a break, to prevent unnecessary injuries, and to give your bench players some PT. And I think that goes for the losing team, as well. If you go back in the game thread, I was advocating taking Griffey out of the game in the fifth inning.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

yea, I didn't have a clue what I was talking about

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=115216

These game logs are consistent with the reports I was hearing, your numbers are inflated by the 1/3 of an inning outing--the old faithful "small sample size". So, they gave him a chance to come back and his career might be over. I don't think that warrants the "embarrassment" rant.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    yea, I didn't have a clue what I was talking about

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=115216

These game logs are consistent with the reports I was hearing, your numbers are inflated by the 1/3 of an inning outing--the old faithful "small sample size". So, they gave him a chance to come back and his career might be over. I don't think that warrants the "embarrassment" rant.
    7.2 innings
    8 hits
    1 home run
    3 walks
    3 strikeouts

That's a 5.31 DIPS ERA with a 1.44 WHIP in those outings excluding the 1/3 of an inning when he got rocked. The reports you were hearing? Hope and prayers, and nothing more.

Not that it matters anyway. His velocity is down, his command is gone, and everything he throws in the strike zone more closely resembles a batting practice pitch than a major league quality pitch. The results so far since he's been back in Cincinnati speak for themselves.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

7.2 innings
    8 hits
    1 home run
    3 walks
    3 strikeouts

That's a 5.31 DIPS ERA with a 1.44 WHIP in those outings excluding the 1/3 of an inning when he got rocked. The reports you were hearing? Hope and prayers, and nothing more.

Not that it matters anyway. His velocity is down, his command is gone, and everything he throws in the strike zone more closely resembles a batting practice pitch than a major league quality pitch. The results so far since he's been back in Cincinnati speak for themselves.
    He had cran and elan.

Those can mask reality for a short time...but sooner or later you gotta have some talent. Ask the French, they've lost many wars with that approach.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

7.2 innings
    8 hits
    1 home run
    3 walks
    3 strikeouts

Again, you are talking about a few innings, which just so happens to fit your argument in this case. All of what you said is evident, I think the Reds are giving a guy a chance to come back from an injury, hardly an "embarrassment" to this fan. But then, I'm not on here nitpicking away at every breath the organization takes.

Turn Off Ads?