Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 8/21/07 vs Braves

Re: 8/21/07 vs Braves

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    Cantu should have gone for the walk, boost his OBP.
    If he went for a soda it'd boost his blood sugar too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Cantu would have gotten a hit then his OBP would have been heavy batting avg driven, which I don't like very much. Walking makes me feel better about his numbers.
    forget it..
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-21-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Haunted by walks

If Cantu would have gotten a hit then his OBP would have been heavy batting avg driven, which I don't like very much. Walking makes me feel better about his numbers.
    I'm not sure I understand this. They're all bases. I understand that OBP trumps BA, but if the OBP is there anyway, it's all good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this. They're all bases. I understand that OBP trumps BA, but if the OBP is there anyway, it's all good, right?
    I Like the "Cincy Base Hit" example man on 2nd, one out, batter grounds to the SS, runner breaks for third, SS throws to get lead runner, but fails. Scores would give that a Sacrifice or a Fielders Choice.

In 1913 Enquirer baseball writer Jack Ryder lobbied hard for that scoring to be changed to a "Hit" He lobbied so hard it became known as "The Cincinnati Hit"

It lasted for one season, 1913. The last one occurred in the 1913 World Series, during the last game.

Fred Merkle was left holding the ball and missing the lead runner at home.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I Like the "Cincy Base Hit" example man on 2nd, one out, batter grounds to the SS, runner breaks for third, SS throws to get lead runner, but fails. Scores would give that a Sacrifice or a Fielders Choice.

In 1913 Enquirer baseball writer Jack Ryder lobbied hard for that scoring to be changed to a "Hit" He lobbied so hard it became known as "The Cincinnati Hit"

It lasted for one season, 1913. The last one occurred in the 1913 World Series, during the last game.

Fred Merkle was left holding the ball and missing the lead runner at home.
    That's awesome.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Anytime you see somebody with a high BA and low walk rate, it normally screams "lucky." Most hitters (there are exceptions like Vladdy) can't keep putting balls in play and keep up that high BA.

Walks represent a familiarity with the strike zone. Taking a walk means that the hitter isn't swinging at everything and geting lucky with balls just dropping in.

It's what makes us feel good about Hamilton and makes some uneasy about Brandon Phillips (not me).

The good news is that some can make a living hacking- Howie Kendrick is just going to mash no matter what the sabre heads think- but with a guy like Cantu, who knows?
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 08-21-2007 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    over on Braves.com they're saying "this is a mis-match....the Braves aren't even in the same world as a team like the Reds."
    How quickly they forget the Reds sweep at home in Atlanta.

And, BTW, I don't think it's been mentioned... the Reds beat the Braves by a run tonight (8-7).

Woo Hoo!!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    oneupper made a great point earlier in the thread. The BA (and OBP) is up partially because the team out-makers are either injured or on the bereavement list right now.
    Wasn't on the boards tonight (took a break), but this speaks volumes. For all the love Freel gets, he makes entirely too many outs. The same goes for Gonzo and Ross. And Castro? It goes without saying. Hopper or Hamilton for Freel and Kepp for Gonzo means less outs (many less outs). And almost anyone is better than Ross at not making outs.

This is not a coincidence. Leave Dunn alone and get rid of Freel, Gonzalez, and Ross. I think all but Ross would get some looks.

And no, I'm not crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    He's putting together his best all around season, he'll be a bargain next year if the Reds do the smart thing and pick up the option
    YES!

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Anytime you see somebody with a high BA and low walk rate, it normally screams "lucky." Most hitters (there are exceptions like Vladdy) can't keep putting balls in play and keep up that high BA.

Walks represent a familiarity with the strike zone. Taking a walk means that the hitter isn't swinging at everything and geting lucky with balls just dropping in.

It's what makes us feel good about Hamilton and makes some uneasy about Brandon Phillips (not me).

The good news is that some can make a living hacking- Howie Kendrick is just going to mash no matter what the sabre heads think- but with a guy like Cantu, who knows?
    Thanks for the explanation. You deserve to win a lunch one of these days.

It just struck me as maybe the flip side of Dunn making "the wrong kind of outs" -- complaining because somebody's getting the wrong kind of bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    So, do you want Bruce to stay in AAA a couple of months, have him sit on the bench, or split time with Dunn, Hamilton, and Junior?

There's probably 25-35 starts in Junior's absence. Maybe 8-10 for Dunn. Maybe 25-35 for Hamilton. But, that's not enough. Dunn or Junior could get traded in July and that would work.
    JR should be traded this off season, or even sometime next year.

Also, considering how the Reds are acting with Votto I don't expect them to be in a hurry to bring Bruce up.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    JR should be traded this off season, or even sometime next year.

Also, considering how the Reds are acting with Votto I don't expect them to be in a hurry to bring Bruce up.
    So true. Another thing to ponder is if you want to trade a guys with Dunn's stats for a kid who hasn't proved anything but that he can hit AAA pitching? Remember Brandon Larsen anyone?

Sure, he costs too much. So does anyone who is any good. For too long, the Reds, hiding behind the cloak of being a "small market team" , have taken this philosophy while wasting money on the likes of Alex Gonzalez and Mike Stanton.

Yes. Bring Bruce up and let him earn a spot, but not at the expense of a major part of the offense.

As for Griffey. Did St. Louis trade Stan the Man? Did the Red Sox trade Ted Williams? As long as Junior is productive, leave him alone. And spend money for pitching. And let the Bruce's of the world earn their spots.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    And spend money for pitching.
    Take a look at this year's FA pitching class. Its...well, just take a look at it.

I think we're going to have to make a trade to get better pitching.

Turn Off Ads?