Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: 8/28/07 vs Pirates.....GAME TWO - the answer is no

Re: 8/28/07 vs Pirates.....GAME TWO - the answer is no

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Its a real simple question from someone in the media: How is Josh Hamilton supposed to learn to hit left handed pitching if he doesn't get ABs against left handers?

Or are we prepping him to be a platoon player in CF next year? Because that'd be monumentally stupid.
    That'd be a great question- especially considering that I think Josh Hamilton already knows how to hit lefties.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just wanted to weigh back in here and say, right there with you Steel, CE, and others.

It is mind boggling. In every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yep, and it's the epitome of stupid.

Hamilton has been given exactly 62 AB versus LHP this season. He's produced at a .226 BA/.314 OBP/.306 SLG clip this season. All things Mackanin and Krivsky can turn to to defend the indefensible. But over such a small sample size, Hamilton is exactly five Hits and three Home Runs away from a .300 BA and a .500 SLG versus LHP for the SEASON. The guy's IsoD versus LHP this year is nearly 90 points. That's important. There simply isn't anything to be gained by running Norris Hopper or Jason Ellison out there against LHP versus letting Hamilton learn on the job. The guy is strong enough to randomly grab those five hits and three taters in short order.

The "matchup" lineups we see are all about someone trying to cover their own arse rather than actually trying to win baseball games. It's a demonstration of a lack of understanding about how games are actually won or lost over the long haul. I'm not surprised to see that from the Reds, but I'm completely sick of a management cadre that can't figure it out.
    I understand the issues with Ellison since he is useless. Hopper, on the other hand, I think has warranted some playing time (esp vs LHPs). I think the board (and, more importantly, the team) needs to answer this question. Does this team have a shot?

If the answer is yes (which many believed going into last night), then Hopper had every right playing over Hamilton. Forget "learning on the job." That's for teams who are out of it. In that midset, who's got a better chance to help the team win now? To this point, Hopper has out-performed Hamilton vs LHPs in any way you'd like to measure it. Small sample sizes, of course, but it's the only stats anyone can go by right now and it's ugly for Hamilton.

If the answer is no (which many probably believe right now), then Hamilton should be seeing more time vs LHPs since Ws and Ls don't matter at this point. Let him face LHPs since his future is more important to this team than Hopper's.

You can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I understand the issues with Ellison since he is useless. Hopper, on the other hand, I think has warranted some playing time (esp vs LHPs). I think the board (and, more importantly, the team) needs to answer this question. Does this team have a shot?

If the answer is yes (which many believed going into last night), then Hopper had every right playing over Hamilton. Forget "learning on the job." That's for teams who are out of it. In that midset, who's got a better chance to help the team win now? To this point, Hopper has out-performed Hamilton vs LHPs in any way you'd like to measure it. Small sample sizes, of course, but it's the only stats anyone can go by right now and it's ugly for Hamilton.

If the answer is no (which many probably believe right now), then Hamilton should be seeing more time vs LHPs since Ws and Ls don't matter at this point. Let him face LHPs since his future is more important to this team than Hopper's.

You can't have it both ways.
    Who's trying to "have it both ways"? Norris Hopper is the kind of player who should be filling in for injury or taking an occasional spot start versus LHP when one of the regular OF actually needs a day off. Doesn't matter where the Reds are in the standings. And yes, I understand Mackanin's propensity for voodoo management based on small sample sizes. The problem is that those sample sizes aren't at all predictive. That leaves Mackanin in a place where he can defend playing Hopper over Hamilton even if he can't truly justify such a decision.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I think you CAN have it both ways. (or SHOULD, at least).

Mac would have to understand that the only reason the REDS got back "in it" (theoretically) , is because they played (and he managed) as if they were "out of it".

If he were really smart he'd manage that way all the time.

If that makes sense.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Who's trying to "have it both ways"? Norris Hopper is the kind of player who should be filling in for injury or taking an occasional spot start versus LHP when one of the regular OF actually needs a day off. Doesn't matter where the Reds are in the standings. And yes, I understand Mackanin's propensity for voodoo management based on small sample sizes. The problem is that those sample sizes aren't at all predictive. That leaves Mackanin in a place where he can defend playing Hopper over Hamilton even if he can't truly justify such a decision.
    Small sample sizes, "voodoo management", etc. Awesome. Bottom line is that Hamilton has been flat-out Castro like vs LHPs this season. If you want to win, you don't play Hamilton vs lefties right now if you have a better option. And currently, Hopper is a better option than Hamilton in that situation.

But personally, I don't advocate Ellison ever starting over anyone and don't think that Hamilton should have sat both games. He probably should have hit 7th or 8th one of the games.

And since Hopper was on base 6 times yesterday, it kind of blows my mind that people would still be complaining. I didn't see the games, but that's not a bad double-header.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Jason Ellison was 3 for 23 vs lefties this season going into yesterday I believe....

Josh Hamilton HAS to be better than that whether or not Hopper starts.

If anybody should have sat BOTH games, it's Jason Ellison, not Hamilton.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-29-2007 at 05:40 PM.

Small sample sizes, "voodoo management", etc. Awesome. Bottom line is that Hamilton has been flat-out Castro like vs LHPs this season. If you want to win, you don't play Hamilton vs lefties right now if you have a better option. And currently, Hopper is a better option than Hamilton in that situation.
    I think folks have taken enough time to explain the extreme volatility associated with small sample sizes. They're not useful for projecting much of anything and don't represent who players actually are. You and Mackanin are both making the same mistake.

--Ted Williams

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

That's fine. Jason Ellison isn't a better option than anybody.

Turn Off Ads?