Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/30/07 - Reds vs Pirates Game Thread

Re: 8/30/07 - Reds vs Pirates Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Look this is exhausting. If the inning ends in a force out then NO runs score in any instance? Is that the rule?
    RFS is right, and you're wrong.

Fred Merkle and the New York Giants had a very similar play happen to them in a late September game against the Cubs. The Giants had Merkle on first base and Moose McCormick on third base in the bottom of the 9th inning in a tie game. Al Bridwell singled to score McCormick to apparently win the game, but Merkle just turned around and ran off the field without touching second base. Fans stormed the field, but Johnny Evers retrieved "a ball" (nobody knows if it was the actual game ball) and touched second base on an appeal. The umpires ruled Merkle out on a force out, which in turn erased McCormick's winning run and left the game tied.

Since fans had stormed the field, the game was called a tie. Shortly thereafter, the Giants and Cubs finished the regular season tied (including the Merkle game being ruled a tie), and they had to play a one-game makeup game. The Cubs won the game, they won the NL Pennant, then they went on to beat the Detroit Tigers in the World Series. And ironically that's the last time the Chicago Cubs have won the World Series.

Had Merkle touched second base, the Giants would have finished a game up on the Cubs at the end of the regular season without a makeup game being necessary, and the Giants would have won the NL Pennant.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice job by Kepp there.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Thank you, Keppinger

For a Level Playing Field

REDS in games in which the bullpen has recorded a blown save... 8-14 record.

Last 10 games with a blown save... 7-3 record.

I LIKE country Kepp...
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Dumb rule that it takes an appeal. If he misses the base, the ump should call him out. Without an appeal.

I can agree with that. The ump should rule the runner outside the "base paths" as he missed the base. It should be automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    EE should be 3 for 4. Very clutch tonight.

?
    He is clutch.

.333 w RISP

I'd like to see him batting 4th next year like they tried this year before he flopped miserably. He's sure turned that around and taken the next step.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

High five!

Nice bounce back by Burton there.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    EE should be 3 for 4. Very clutch tonight.

Despite the controversy over THE PLAY, seems like EE should get credit for the hit. We need a category for baserunning errors. THis should be scored a hit, and a two run error on Dunn for missing third. I know EE can't get the RBIs if the runs don't count, but he should get the hit.

C.Trent says it was scored a 1-5 force....weird. The ball was hit to left.....why not 7 to 6 to 1 to 5?
    ???????!!!!! Then truly the Griffey run should have counted if they're calling it a subsequent play.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    RFS is right, and you're wrong.

Fred Merkle and the New York Giants had a very similar play happen to them in a late September game against the Cubs. The Giants had Merkle on first base and Moose McCormick on third base in the bottom of the 9th inning in a tie game. Al Bridwell singled to score McCormick to apparently win the game, but Merkle just turned around and ran off the field without touching second base. Fans stormed the field, but Johnny Evers retrieved "a ball" (nobody knows if it was the actual game ball) and touched second base on an appeal. The umpires ruled Merkle out on a force out, which in turn erased McCormick's winning run and left the game tied.

Since fans had stormed the field, the game was called a tie. Shortly thereafter, the Giants and Cubs finished the regular season tied (including the Merkle game being ruled a tie), and they had to play a one-game makeup game. The Cubs won the game, they won the NL Pennant, then they went on to beat the Detroit Tigers in the World Series. And ironically that's the last time the Chicago Cubs have won the World Series.

Had Merkle touched second base, the Giants would have finished a game up on the Cubs at the end of the regular season without a makeup game being necessary, and the Giants would have won the NL Pennant.
    You should be a diplomat

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Are you even serious

Dead serious, but I've had a few beers.

I guess my point his that if it's that obvious he missed the base, it should not need an appeal. He is out. Force play, right?

Based on what I saw it was close. He may have put his foot down by the bag and appeared to not touch it, but who knows? He scored easily and would have also had his foot been one atom closer to the bag to "show" Mr. umpire that he touched it.

Taking two runs away (and possibly more -runner on 2nd) from a team there is extreme.

Maybe MLB should put sensors on the bags to determine if a player touched a bag or not.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Umps look the other way all the time in "in the neighborhood" tagging 2nd base double plays.
    Exactly.

And I understand as Puffy said it's to prevent injuries.

I just think with a bases loaded single it's perfect time to look the other way.

Maybe MLB should put sensors on the bags to determine if a player touched a bag or not.
    Sounds good, less influence the umps have the better
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

Right underneath the Spiderman logo!

Turn Off Ads?