Turn Off Ads?

Thread: #12 pick scenarios...

#12 pick scenarios...

I have the 12th pick in a draft tomorrow morning. This is in a pretty standard yahoo league. QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, Flex (WR/TE), K, DEF. This is my 1st time ever picking at 12.

25 yds passing, 10 yds receiving, 10 yds rushing = 1 pt.
    TDs = 6 pts

If you had the following choices, which would you do.

At 12 and 13 take best available RB and Carson Palmer (this of course assuming Manning goes before 12) and hope Thomas Jones and Andre Johnson or Roy Williams are there at 36 and 37.

Or at 12 and 13 take the 2 best RBs available (Henry, Maroney, maybe Rudi or Bush) and then hope Brees, McNabb, Bulger, or Brady are there at 36/37 and add the best WR to go along with QB.

I really think once you get past the 1st 6 QBs you might as well wait until the 8th round or so and get Romo or Roethlisberger. QBs always go quicker than I think they should and that is the only reason I am debating Palmer at 12/13.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    uoduck1017

Re: #12 pick scenarios...

I have heard it said that it always makes sense to go RB RB in your first two rounds. This is because the drop-off from higher-tier QB's to lower-tier QB's is not as significant as it is in RB's. If those 4 RB's you mentioned were still on the board, I would go for 2 of them. (Mine would be Rudi and Laurence Maroney)

It depends on who is available, but I tend to think it's more important to get 2 RBs, especially if you're picking 12th. 2 good RBs and a decent QB (Rivers, Romo) will outscore a great QB and 2 mediocre RBs. Peyton Manning is the only exception, but he's sure to be gone before you pick.

If I were you, I'd take the best 2 RBs on the board in the first/second rounds, then the best two WRs available in the third/fourth rounds. Shoot for a mid-level quarterback and a 3rd RB in the fifth/sixth rounds.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It depends on who is available, but I tend to think it's more important to get 2 RBs, especially if you're picking 12th. 2 good RBs and a decent QB (Rivers, Romo) will outscore a great QB and 2 mediocre RBs. Peyton Manning is the only exception, but he's sure to be gone before you pick.

If I were you, I'd take the best 2 RBs on the board in the first/second rounds, then the best two WRs available in the third/fourth rounds. Shoot for a mid-level quarterback and a 3rd RB in the fifth/sixth rounds.
    I ended up with the 11th pick because of a commish error but I went with the 2 RB theory. I got extremely lucky imo and got Westbrook at #11 and Travis Henry at #14. Manning, Palmer, AND Brady went before #11. I said thank you many times to those owners.

I went with Wayne in the 3rd and probably made a mistake and jumped early and took McNabb in the 4th. I believe there are 6 elite QBs available and decided I wanted one. I still ended up with Romo in the 9th round.

If I would have skipped McNabb I could have ended up with Roy Williams to go with Wayne but oh well.

Here is my team:

QBs - McNabb, Romo
    RBs - Westbrook, T. Henry, J. Jones, C. Brown
    WRs - Wayne, Coles, V. Jackson, Bruce, B. Marshall
    TE - B. Watson
    K - Rackers
    DEF - San Diego, Minnesota

Not thrilled with my RB depth. Also not sure why I picked 2 defeneses.

Would anyone drop Marshall for Patrick Crayton? I think I'm going to.

Any other thoughts?

uoduck1017

I would keep Marshall and try to trade one of your defenses. Minnesota does have a pretty good D, and if you would keep them and trade San Diego, you could probably get some good value. I've been in the same boat with two defenses and I just ended up dropping one for an offensive player.

Turn Off Ads?