Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 9/5/07 - Reds vs Mets Game Thread

Re: 9/5/07 - Reds vs Mets Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I don't think RZ would be happy if Jesus Christ himself was the Reds manager. I can just hear it now. "Yeah, JC's OK but he just isn't fiery enough. I wish he'd break the water cooler when guys strike out. Plus he's always turning the other cheek when other teams throw bean balls at us"

Honestly, what other direction do you think they'll go? They may well replace Mackanin but if people around here think that they'll be happy with most of the moves the new manager makes they're going to be sorely disappointed. 95% of all managers are cut from the same cloth.
    Would it be a water cooler or a wine cooler?

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

But seriously, I agree. JC would still need to pitch Stanton at some point, as well as get Coffey some innings and all the other all-stars. There's only so much a manager can do with this mess.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This whole notion of JC Himself managing the Reds got me thinking about about the possibilities:

It would give new meaning to a "Miracle Finish"

At least then we'd have a prayer.

I can just hear the first RZ'er saying, "I know that guy can walk on water, but he still doesn't know how to construct a line-up or use the bullpen".

I can just hear in in the stands, "Who does that guy think he is? Jesus Christ???". "No," the reply comes, "he thinks he's Sparky Anderson."

Runs out to the umpire to argue, "Myself! Are we seeing the same game?"

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    This whole notion of JC Himself managing the Reds got me thinking about about the possibilities:

It would give new meaning to a "Miracle Finish"

At least then we'd have a prayer.

I can just hear the first RZ'er saying, "I know that guy can walk on water, but he still doesn't know how to construct a line-up or use the bullpen".

I can just hear in in the stands, "Who does that guy think he is? Jesus Christ???". "No," the reply comes, "he thinks he's Sparky Anderson."

Runs out to the umpire to argue, "Myself! Are we seeing the same game?"
    Not to mention taking three whole days to come back from a serious injury.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That's Hilarious!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Would it be a water cooler or a wine cooler?
    Thank you for your support.

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

"I'm an old-school guy," Mackanin said. "When you first break into the big leagues, you're a No. 8 hitter. You have to know how to bunt and do all those little things, gradually work your way into it. I hope he does well and I can move him up in the order.

So far...so good

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Since I wasn't around today....here we go

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Not to mention taking three whole days to come back from a serious injury.
    If can heal death in 3 days think what he could do with a simple torn rotator cuff!

He could even help Milton!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Many Reds fans may not yet realize it, but a significant chunk of Votto's offensive worth is his ability to take walks and get on base. Votto's not going to hit .325, and he may not hit 30 homers, but he'll take his share of walks and get on base. If Reds fans are going to like him long term, they'll have to accept the premise that his offensive worth revolves quite a bit around the base on balls.

2006-07: Votto's PA/BB is 7.88. Per 550 plate appearances, that's 70 walks. Per 600 plate appearances, that's 76 walks. Per 650 plate appearances, that's 83 walks.
    A while back I compared him to a left handed hitting Kevin Youkilis with a little more strikeouts and possibly a few more homers down the road. And that would be perfectly fine by me.

Big salute from all of Canada for our boy Joey! He even got a excerpt feature on tsn during a break in Jays vs Redsox game.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    No, Arnold Palmer.
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    No, Arnold Palmer.
    Well, yes, that's the original joke, but I was sticking with the baseball manager theme!

I finally watched the film clips from this game just now. The first thing I wondered is how on earth Votto hit that pitch so far - it was way down and away and he put that thing in one of the deepest parts of the park.

The other thing I just noticed, which I liked a lot, and it was unheralded was after Votto's good defensive play throwing Delgado out at third when he tried to sneak around, was that EE was ready to fire the ball to second, I'm guessing in case the runner wasn't out at first. It's good to see that little extra.

Turn Off Ads?