Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tom Shearn Thread , or "Is 30 too Young?"

The Tom Shearn Thread , or "Is 30 too Young?"

I realize my thread title is a little silly, but let's give Tom Shearn some love. He is 2-0 in 3 starts, 14 hits allowed in 17 1/3 IP, 6 runs , 6 earned, 7 walks, 8 strikeouts, and a sparkling era of 3.12. I am not saying Tom Shearn is a long term answer in the rotation, but certainly he is good enough to hold down of the 3-5 rotation slots next year. I concede it is a small sample size, and I will be watching how he does the rest of September. For right now, however, Tom Shearn is doing just fine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Tom Shearn Thread , or "Is 30 too Young?"

I Agree It Is Called Maturity.

Unfortunately....there is hardly any competition for the 3-5 spots.

1. Belisle's plus 5 ERA
    2. Ramirez off major arm problems
    3. Livingston just having career dooming labrum
    4. Bailey...nobody knows what happened to him after July
    5. Cueto....appears to need another 1/2 year in minors before we know for sure
    6. Phil Dumtrait....terrible looking in handful of starts and not all that impressive in minors to begin with.
    7. Do the Reds have any money to sign even a cheapie starter off the re-tread pile or elsewhere?

Shearn is probably pitching himself into rotation as we speak by default almost. Sad state of affairs in Red's rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    but certainly he is good enough to hold down of the 3-5 rotation slots next year.
    He is? He might be one of the top 5 currently, but if the Reds are planning on him being one of the 5 starters next year then they're in big trouble. Hopefully, Shearn will only make a spot start or two next year.

For right now, however, Tom Shearn is doing just fine.
    He is doing fine and it's nice to see someone do well after waiting so long to reach the majors. I hope he finishes the season well. I just don't see him being one of the starters next year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Im glad he pitched well, but lets not pencil him into next year's rotation after 3 starts. You might remember Chris Michalak initally pitched well before the league caught up to him.

Tom Shearn For a job well-done yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    He is? He might be one of the top 5 currently, but if the Reds are planning on him being one of the 5 starters next year then they're in big trouble. Hopefully, Shearn will only make a spot start or two next year.

He is doing fine and it's nice to see someone do well after waiting so long to reach the majors. I hope he finishes the season well. I just don't see him being one of the starters next year.
    Who else is there? We can not count on Bailey or Cueto being ready by next year. EZ has not been impressive and Dumatrait is not even in the discussion. Belisle is good enough to have one of the spots until someone else shows up, and Livingston will not be ready because of injury. Maloney is a possibility, and we do not know if the Reds will pick up any SP in free agency. I did say it was a small sample size, and that I wanted to see how he didin the month of September. I really hope Cueto, Bailey or Maloney can make the rotation in spring training. Otherwise , we might all see Shearn in the starting rotation next year.

Can he be stopped?

Tom has a NASTY 12-6 drop on his curve and spots his other balls decently. I like him, lets see what he does. He might want to work on his game planning if he's going to keep pitching in the bigs, however. Sounds like he was completely reliant on Javy to call the game. Not bad, since thats a catcher's job, but he needs to know his opponents as well.

I like what he has done, and his approach. I am all for cheering the man on and seeing what else he can do!

Interestingly enough Shearn came up through the organization as a reliever. As recent as last year over half of his appearances were in relief. I'm rooting for the guy but as Redhook said, if the Reds are counting on him to be in the rotation next year we have a serious problem. Shearn had an ERA over 4 in Louisville and has been pretty lucky up here thus far (8:7 K:BB ratio). But you have to give him credit for a great job thus far and he has earned some more starts this September.

Maturity can make a big difference. Thats what makes the difference between Harang and Lohse. I think this guy could be a contributer out of the pen. If he is in our long term plans we have a major problem. What would that say about the direction of this franchise?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Shearn seems to have his head on straight and feet on the ground. He was quoted in the Dayton Daily as hoping to work his way into the picture for next season as the long man/ spot starter. From what we have seen so far, he sure beats Victor Santos/ Mike Gosling all to heck for that job.

I have read and heard it said that aside from the sure fire prospects on their way up, AAA is largely populated by guys like Shearn. Just who gets the shots at the big show and who never really does can often be decided almost as much by whims, luck, and organizational politics as by distinction in performace. I think Shearn was categorized as at his ceiling and they kept passing over him at AAA becasue they had guys they felt had higher ceilings.

However, I don't think he would necessarily be a disaster as a #5. He looks like he can eat innings and keep them close. What more can a team ask from a #5? That is cerrtainly more than the Reds have gotten with consistency from their 3 and 4 spots (and at spells even Arroyo) this year.

As for next year a lot probably depends on how the Reds see themselves positioned. If they feel like they are legit contenders in the NL Central, they will probably go with a vet like Shearn in the #5 slot and hold one of the kids down at AAA for more development (to be brought up later if need be). If they see themselves a year away from contention, they will probably use the kids at the big club to fill out as on the job training.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 09-06-2007 at 11:45 PM.

I hate to rain on the proverbial parade, but a pitcher like Shern won't usually last longer than 3-5 starts in the bigs. There's an old poem my grandpa used to tell me...

In the minors through 20? your arm must feel funny

Not there by 25? Stop throwing ball five

A rookie at 30? My glove is sure dirty

Big leagues at 40, Jesus I'm old...

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I'm rooting for the guy but as Redhook said, if the Reds are counting on him to be in the rotation next year we have a serious problem. Shearn had an ERA over 4 in Louisville and has been pretty lucky up here thus far (8:7 K:BB ratio).
    Agree.

The sad thing is that the Reds have no one younger with some upside to gets major league experience in September.
    Livingston was showing some promise. Now with him down we are looking at EZ, Belisle, & Bailey as candidates for spots 3-5 in 2008.
    IMO the Reds need TWO decent starters ( along with Harang and Arroyo ) if they want to win in 2008. One could be gotten via free agency ( ie Silva or Schilling on a 1-2 year deal ) and the other gotten via a trade of Griffey ( with Bruce taking over in RF ).

I will say that I was at his debut, sitting right by the bullpen. Before the game, he took his time coming out. He looked around, seemingly taking it all in. He appeared calm and confident, went through his warm up, and went about his business on the mound. I was impressed with him. I wish him continued success!

Turn Off Ads?