Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 9/12/07 Redlegs vs Redbirds

Re: 9/12/07 Redlegs vs Redbirds

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Well, I'd like Slowey or Baker and something else but a Slowey/Baker combo is, IMHO, asking for a bit much. Too bad Jesse Crain turned up so lame. Boof Bonser would be pretty interesting if he projected to keep his HR rate down. But he doesn't. Sigh. But there is Glen Perkins. Hmn... I also wouldn't mind the inclusion of Anthony Swarzak in that deal.

And don't even get me started on a sign-and-trade option including Hatteberg or an addition of Alex Gonzalez if the Twins were to include Jason Bartlett. Double ditto on that if the Reds could grab Joe Nathan in his walk year...and even if it's only for his walk year.

Man, is the Twins' offense offensive. They have exactly two players who've produced as many as 10 Runs Above Position (Hunter- 13.6, Mauer- 15.0). They've got pretty much nothing in the pipeline to enhance the offense due to poor recent drafts (go figure) but they do have pitching to swap for it.
    I'd be all for EdE for Slowey and Swarzak. Its the kind of deal that needs to be made. I just don't see much pitching coming back for the high dollar guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

TOBTTR.

Series Win.

Harang tomorrow for the sweep!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Votto swings at an awful pitch.
    CB would have called it a strike anyway.

Ankiel 2 for 22 since being outed for HGH.
    On Friday morning September 7th, the NY Daily News broke the story on Rick Ankiel of the Cardinals getting a 1 year supply of HGH through a Florida drug store in 2004, the year before the substance was banned.

Since that time, the Cardinals are 0-6.

Rick Ankiel is 2 for 22, both singles, since the allegations came out. Fans in Cincinnati and Chicago have reportedly been yelling "HGH, HGH" when Ankiel comes up for bat.

My take on it: Ankiel’s problems have distracted the Cardinals and Ankiel from their pursuit of the NL Central crown.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 09-12-2007 at 09:54 PM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post

My take on it: Ankiel’s problems have distracted the Cardinals and Ankiel from their pursuit of the NL Central crown.
    A convenient excuse. Their starting pitching has sucked pretty bad also.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd be all for EdE for Slowey and Swarzak. Its the kind of deal that needs to be made. I just don't see much pitching coming back for the high dollar guys.
    That's a lot to ask. One of those guys (or Baker) would probably be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Agreed. The Birds were playing dominant baseball just over a week ago and now they look like someone keeps punching them in the stomach.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    That's a lot to ask. One of those guys (or Baker) would probably be enough.
    You're probably right, but EdE is an established 3B now and since he's still cheap he should get more than just a prospect. Maybe EdE for Baker is fair, but since Slowey could still be a bust, I think the team should get some type of "kicker." You're probably right that Swarzak is too much.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agreed. The Reds are desperate for pitching and the Twins, at this point, should be desperate for offense.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Agreed. The Reds are desperate for pitching and the Twins, at this point, should be desperate for offense.
    The Twins should have been desperate for offense all season long.

And just as I predicted, no postseason for them. Santana's gone soon. The bloom may well be off the Twins' rose before long.

A nice, but somewhat unexceptional, run, if that's the case. A run scuttled by inaction, as so many teams discover after it's too late.

My guess is that even with Wayne's connections to Minny, Ryan won't deal any pitching. Not even for a significant offensive upgrade at a premium position.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Agreed. The Birds were playing dominant baseball just over a week ago and now they look like someone keeps punching them in the stomach.

Not much different than the Reds. Sometimes we look great, othertimes very bad.

The Cards don't have a very good team. Their starters are putrid, absolutely rubish. Other than wainwright.

They aren't capable of playing well for extented streaks.You can't when you are running out guys like Reyes/Pineiro/Mulder/Maroth/Looper on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Out macines in the 2 and 4 spots? who doesn't love that?
    You know. I've been reading this all summer long.

Did a little research and found something interesting.

Here's where Red's #2 hitters, collectively rank in the National League:

OPS (3rd)
    SLG (4th)
    OBP (3rd)
    BA (2nd)
    Runs (t-2nd)
    Hits (2nd)
    HR (4th)
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

TOBTTR.

Series Win.

Harang tomorrow for the sweep!
    I don't care how bad the Cards are right now, it's sweet to see the Reds take a series from them. A sweep would would be outstanding.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

OPS (3rd)
    SLG (4th)
    OBP (3rd)
    BA (2nd)
    Runs (t-2nd)
    Hits (2nd)
    HR (4th)
    There you go, letting facts getting in the way of entrenched perceptions. Of course, the truth is, even the best hitters are "out machines" - the very best ever still failed 60% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

OPS (3rd)
    SLG (4th)
    OBP (3rd)
    BA (2nd)
    Runs (t-2nd)
    Hits (2nd)
    HR (4th)
    The bulk of those at-bats have went to Phillips and Keppinger. That certainly helps. Looking at the splits for Gonzalez shows he's raked in the 2 hole this year as well. I still wouldn't expect him to continue that trend for very long though.

Turn Off Ads?