Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete's Bonus for finishing 3rd?

Pete's Bonus for finishing 3rd?

anyone else hear this rumor?

it would explain why the guys called up from AAA for the pen are not pitching.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete's Bonus for finishing 3rd?

It all depends. What rumor are you talking about? I have never heard of a bonus for a manager to finish third, but it does not mean it could not happen.

There is bonus money from the league for teams that finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in their division. At least there used to be, before it went to three divisions. Maybe that is what the talk is about. It usually isn't much, but for an interim manager, it could be significant.

The reason we call them rumors is they are idle speculation, general talk, or opinions of uncertain reliability.

Believe me, even if there is any kind of "bonus" for third place, it is not motivating Pete to win. Pete has an inner drive to win and to put a respectable team on the field against teams that are in contention.

It is wrong to put AAA players out against teams in contention.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeIndicator View Post
    anyone else hear this rumor?

bailey will pitch against the Giants, a team obviously not in centention.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeIndicator View Post
    As ThirdBaseCoach has alluded to, I think the explanation for that is that Pete has said that he wants to be fair and throw his best at the contending teams - Chicago and Milwaukee. Expect to see the "AAA guys" pitch against the Giants and the Astros.

I want to call attention to the unstable mental condition of WK. check out one of his comments about the recent protest....

"Pete filed it on the field and I followed it up," Krivsky said. "It's out of Pete's hands and out of my hands."
    Krivsky said the matter is now up to the league office after he officially filed it with the league office on Tuesday.
    An apparently agitated Krivsky was asked about Mackanin's comments and dismissed them.
    "How do you know it didn't have an affect on the game?" Krivsky said."

WK refuses to believe that he is not the smartest person in MLB. This protest should be dropped and he can drop it. It is not out of his hands. Pete realized that it did not affect the game, after the fact, and that is why he made that statement. WK has to loosen up and let his manager manage the team.

how many games has WK managed?

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    WK refuses to believe that he is not the smartest person in MLB. This protest should be dropped and he can drop it.
    Well, for some reason you left out the part where Trent said, "Wayne Krivsky is the one who has to drop it, and that's expected to happen later."

While Trent noted Krivsky was a bit defensive when speaking to the media (seems just about all head of Cincinnati pro sports teams are right now), it seemed like the only reason Krivsky went ahead with the protest was because Pete filed it in the first place, and WK wanted to back him up. IMO, this doesn't show that WK believes he is the "smartest person in MLB," but rather someone who is willing to publicly act to back his manager, regardless of the fact he isn't sure it affected the game or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    While Trent noted Krivsky was a bit defensive when speaking to the media (seems just about all head of Cincinnati pro sports teams are right now), it seemed like the only reason Krivsky went ahead with the protest was because Pete filed it in the first place, and WK wanted to back him up. IMO, this doesn't show that WK believes he is the "smartest person in MLB," but rather someone who is willing to publicly act to back his manager, regardless of the fact he isn't sure it affected the game or not.
    Pete wants to drop it, WK wants to show everyone that he runs the show. Pete does not need this type of "support" from WK. Pete knows that Lou's blunder did not materially affect the game.

When was the last protest upheld? 20 years ago?

Wayne's still waiting on his "protest" from 8 months ago on the Majewski claim to be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    Wayne's still waiting on his "protest" from 8 months ago on the Majewski claim to be heard.
    Yeah I saw that too. According to Fay:

In light of the Reds protest of last night's game, a lot of you have asked about the status of the Gary Majewski grievance with the Nationals. Patrick Courtney, one of Major League Baseball's spokesmen, happens to be sitting right behind at Wrigley tonight. So I asked.

There's nothing new to report. Courtney said he's not sure what the holdup is, but the case, which was filed months ago, is still pending.

I can't believe they haven't ruled on the Majewski grievance yet.
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by Marge'sMullet View Post
    I can't believe they haven't ruled on the Majewski grievance yet.
    why not? Its not like the Bud Selig regime has done much.

I believe I've seen plenty of AAA pitching the last few month..unfortunately out of necessity.

I've got no problem with seeing a ton of Bray, Burton and Weathers in win situations. Then Maj, Coffey and Eddie E in other situations. Salmon, McBeth, etc..have had a full year in AAA as well as Reds, they'll have thier shot next year for spots on the squad.

Also, Votto has been in the lineup a lot at the expense of Cantu and Hatterburg. I don't think seeing 3/4 of his at bats in AAA is retarding his progress either. Bruce skipped AA all together and finished strong in AAA. That feels very defendable as well. I just don't see much of a problem with how the young kids have been handled this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    I believe I've seen plenty of AAA pitching the last few month..unfortunately out of necessity.

I've got no problem with seeing a ton of Bray, Burton and Weathers in win situations. Then Maj, Coffey and Eddie E in other situations. Salmon, McBeth, etc..have had a full year in AAA as well as Reds, they'll have thier shot next year for spots on the squad. .
    They should have had a better look at these guys this year
    preferably from the All Star break until the end of the season.

Pitchers have a much different situation than hitters, due to the fact that the MLB baseball is different than the ones used in the minor leagues
    This is why when Roger Clemens made his midseason comeback with the Astro's, Houston got special permission for Roger to use the MLB ball for all of his minor league appearances.

Pitchers say that the ball has a totally different feel and that you can't just switch balls and have your "same stuff" immediately.

Turn Off Ads?