Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ken Burn's The War Starts Sunday

Ken Burn's The War Starts Sunday

I know there are a lot of folks on RZ that are history buffs and will be watching this series. I am really looking forward to it. Burns has done a great job on the series he has put out in the past and I don't expect anything less on this one. I watch a preview of this series on DC's PBS station last week and it does look terrific. He did it from the common soldiers point of view from what they experienced and did. Below is a link that tells all about it.

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ken Burn's The War Starts Sunday

I'm not even a huge Civil War fan (relative to a number of other time periods) and I can't turn off the Bruns Civil war documentary. Of course the Baseball one is fantastic.

Thanks for posting this, I had kinda forgotten about it.

There was a preview show on here in Minnesota last night with Ken Burns on site talking about his experience making this film. One of the 4 cities they focus on is up here. It looks like a really interesting way to view the experience of WWII and I've been looking forward to this for almost a year now. It's different than other documentaries on the war in that it focuses on the people's experience as opposed to the events. It will be a nice addition to my WWII collection. The British WWII documentary World at War narrated by Lawrence Olivier is still one of the best documentaries of anything I've ever seen.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

USA Today is giving it rave reviews. I can't wait to see it.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...r-review_N.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Thanks for the heads up. I am a huge Civil War buff and loved Burn's series. Can't wait for this one either. I will be taping it.

I still have yet to see his series on baseball. Shame on me.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think it will be fantastic, and I'm actually looking forward to the people focus of it. The only problem with it will be that it will be very US centric. I doubt you'll see a lot about the British, Canadians, French, Russians, or even Germans. I know this isn't what he's trying to accomplish with the film, but it will keep it from becoming the definitive work on the topic.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I am really looking forward to this, I already have my DVR set. Maybe its just me but I often think about how I would have reacted to war had I been alive. My grandfather was in the war and never talked about it and absolutely dispised the military, I have only had the priveledge of talking to one WWII vet about the war itself and his experiences and wish we had a longer more indepth conversation about it just to find out more of what the experience was like.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Most veterans of the war hated the military, but they loved their comrades. My grandfather fought in guadal canal. He had an ammunition depot receive a driect hit when he was standing close by. Miraculously, the only real injury he sustained was to his hearing. Unfortunately, a few of his friends weren't so lucky and were killed when the depot exploded. He was in his early 20s at the time and never recovered emotionally from the experience. When he came home, his hair was almost completely gray where he didn't have one strand of gray before the war.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think it will be fantastic, and I'm actually looking forward to the people focus of it. The only problem with it will be that it will be very US centric. I doubt you'll see a lot about the British, Canadians, French, Russians, or even Germans. I know this isn't what he's trying to accomplish with the film, but it will keep it from becoming the definitive work on the topic.
    That doesn't bother me, since they never claimed "definitive work" as the mission statement. It's just a narrative giving us a sense of what it was like to be an American then. Nothing more. As long as it's done well, I'll be happy with it.

Telling the story of the war from the entire world perspective is for another day, and it would be scratching the surface at ten times the length.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

A quick followup to my own post: It's apparently out of print now, but there was a radio series later sold in audiobook form called "The Home Front: 1938-1945." It was a compilation of historical radio recordings and music, and it was a terrific way for "youngsters" like me to get a sense of living through the war as a radio listener. Much recommended if you can find it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    A quick followup to my own post: It's apparently out of print now, but there was a radio series later sold in audiobook form called "The Home Front: 1938-1945." It was a compilation of historical radio recordings and music, and it was a terrific way for "youngsters" like me to get a sense of living through the war as a radio listener. Much recommended if you can find it.

I would love to get that. If you or anyone else finds where you can buy please let me and everyone else know. Thanks,I never knew about this.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Did any of you watch the first episode last night? If so, what did you think about it. I saw the first two hours and I had to go to bed since I have to get up at 4:30 am.
    I thought it was a typical Ken Burns production. Very well done from common soldier and citizens perspective. He really brought out just how brutal and horrible the Pacific War was. Guadal Canal was the just first in long series of battles that were some of the worst the world has seen. He pulled no punches in showing graphic pictures of dead soldiers. It was also quickly brought out how the Japanese-Americans were rounded up and sent to camps for the duration of the war. I always thought this was a very shameful part of American History just as segration of blacks were too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Did any of you watch the first episode last night? If so, what did you think about it. I saw the first two hours and I had to go to bed since I have to get up at 4:30 am.
    I thought it was a typical Ken Burns production. Very well done from common soldier and citizens perspective. He really brought out just how brutal and horrible the Pacific War was. Guadal Canal was the just first in long series of battles that were some of the worst the world has seen. He pulled no punches in showing graphic pictures of dead soldiers. It was also quickly brought out how the Japanese-Americans were rounded up and sent to camps for the duration of the war. I always thought this was a very shameful part of American History just as segration of blacks were too.
    I thought it was wonderfully done. You're right, it's typically Ken Burns, but it amazes me how he can draw action out of a still photograph shot. Of course, there were several points in the narrative in which both my wife and I would comment that we've seen that shot already (mostly it was a machine gun firing from a foxhole).

I thought they told the story about the war in the Pacific very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I watched it twice since I was slightly distracted the first time. Good stuff. How many "episodes" are there?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?