Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 9/21/07 vs. The Soon To Be Bondsless

Re: 9/21/07 vs. The Soon To Be Bondsless

TOBTTR.

Good night Mrs. Kallabash and all the ships at sea.

Good game even though Dandy Don refused to sing.

This is a bonus with this lineup!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds scrubs beat Giants scrubs with a comback from 5 down in the 8th. (shrug)

Rem

It wasn't a HR, Matt, but this win deserves some jumping smilies.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    It wasn't a HR, Matt, but this win deserves some jumping smilies.
    Matt's asleep.

Great finish. Way to play.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Tonight Brandon Phillips made me love him even more than I did before. I follow the numbers as much as anyone, but he's worth the price of admission.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Tonight Brandon Phillips made me love him even more than I did before. I follow the numbers as much as anyone, but he's worth the price of admission.
    I definitely agree here. I am probably one of Phillips' bigger critics because his plate approach drives me crazy, but you can't argue witht the excitement he brings to the game. He's one of the few guys that really seems to be putting his all into every game. You have to admire that.

Great game -- how many times has Phillips electrified in big moments late in the game? For as much as people rag on him for not having a certain hitting approach, it should be recognized that this kid has very, very good baseball instincts. He hasn't peaked yet.

For my money, late in the season when the team's out of the race, I like seeing the Coatses and Ellisons on the field....

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I definitely agree here. I am probably one of Phillips' bigger critics because his plate approach drives me crazy, but you can't argue witht the excitement he brings to the game. He's one of the few guys that really seems to be putting his all into every game. You have to admire that.
    What you talking about, Willis?

Hack, hack, hack. But he's successful with it. It's also the reason he goes through dry spells, too. I guess he is what he is and that's OK by me.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    What you talking about, Willis?

Hack, hack, hack. But he's successful with it. It's also the reason he goes through dry spells, too. I guess he is what he is and that's OK by me.
    Well it's the thing that seperates him from being great. IMO, he's good and not great. Nothing wrong with that at all. He's been a very nice guy to have around.

I'm just not sure how much I'm going to appreciate his game when he's making the big bucks in a few years.

And it's 'watchu' not 'what you'

Perhaps Phillips would not be effective if he were more "disciplined" at the plate. There seems to be this little OBP prototype that every offensive player is supposed to fit and if he doesn't, then he garners a lot of criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Perhaps Phillips would not be effective if he were more "disciplined" at the plate. There seems to be this little OBP prototype that every offensive player is supposed to fit and if he doesn't, then he garners a lot of criticism.
    Look I'm not neccessarily saying that he needs to change his approach. I don't have the slightest clue if that would actually help him. I assume Phillips is using the approach that makes him the best player he can be.

I'm basing my opinions on his total abilities. If he had a SLG of .600 I would forget about the OBP because his other abilities more than make up for it. Phillips is often made out to be a premiere player, but IMO, because of his OBP problems, he is not. His other abilties simply don't make up for it.

I think Phillips is an above average 2nd basemen (I'd rank him as having around the 10th best season), but lately I'm hearing tons of people saying he's the 2nd best in baseball. I think his total game is overrated, and is probably going to be overpaid by quite a bit eventually.

I truly like Phillips and enjoy watching him play, but I think it's getting to the point where the expectations are too high for him. He's a terrific asset to have especially considering how barren the middle infield has been other than him, but his lack of OBP simply can't be ignored IMO. He is who he is, and that's a very fine 2nd basemen. Just not elite level that he's made out to be.

Turn Off Ads?