Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 9/27/2007 Reds Vs Astros

Re: 9/27/2007 Reds Vs Astros

Matt Belisle has retired the first 15 hitters...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Sssshhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    That wouldn't be fair of me, I'm just not convinced he will....

He hasn't shown me he's anything getting all ga ga over, but I think he can serve a role on this team somewhere.

He's worth a look, but don't go into spring training counting on him being a key to the rotation...try to improve the pitching regardless.

He's there if you need him.
    Belisle's got a 4.32 DIPS ERA this season; his actual ERA is inflated mostly due to some bad luck (i.e. .337 BABIP). He's given up a few more homers than I'd like to see, but his strikeout and walk rates really aren't bad at all. If Belisle can maintain similar peripherals next season and straighten out the luck, everybody would be happy with the type of performance he'd post.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Belisle's got a 4.32 DIPS ERA this season; his actual ERA is inflated mostly due to some bad luck (i.e. .337 BABIP). He's given up a few more homers than I'd like to see, but his strikeout and walk rates really aren't bad at all. If Belisle can maintain similar peripherals next season and straighten out the luck, everybody would be happy with the type of performance he'd post.
    Maybe he'll get his shot...

Who knows...

I'm always about guys proving me wrong when the wrong is better.

I'm noticing tonight, when the breaking pitches are working...he's rolling. His fastball is good, and his breaking pitches keep the hitters off balance.

I've noticed, if you get in his head...he crumbles...

Sounds like Lohse.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-27-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Two flyouts to Ellison.

17 in a row...

Groundout to Cantu.

18 up, 18 down.

Well...so far, it doesn't get much better

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Thom just asked Jeff if the Dukes of Hazard (one Z or two?) was more popular in the south because it took place in the south when it actually took place closer to Cincinnati than Alabama where Jeff grew up.

I guess neither of them know that it took place in Hazard County, Kentucky.
    But it was supposed to be in Georgia.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Maybe he'll get his shot...

Who knows...

I'm always about guys proving me wrong when the wrong is better.

I'm noticing tonight, when the breaking pitches are working...he's rolling. His fastball is good, and his breaking pitches keep the hitters off balance.

I've noticed, if you get in his head...he crumbles...

Sounds like Lohse.
    If Belisle can keep himself healthy, then he'll be fine and I'll look forward to seeing him in 2008. He won't turn into an ace, but he's got the look of being able to turn himself into a decent pitcher for a bit if he can stay healthy (the Reds still need to somehow acquire a 4ish ERA pitcher to slot between Arroyo and Belisle, however). I don't think it's unrealistic at all to pin a 4.50 ERA on Belisle for next season.

You also have to remember that this is the first time he's ever started throughout the duration of a big league season, and it's the first time since 2004 that he's had a workload this large in either the majors or minors. There's going to be some adjustment period, and part of what we've seen this season is likely that, an adjustment period.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    If Belisle can keep himself healthy, then he'll be fine and I'll look forward to seeing him in 2008. He won't turn into an ace, but he's got the look of being able to turn himself into a decent pitcher for a bit if he can stay healthy (the Reds still need to somehow acquire a 4ish ERA pitcher to slot between Arroyo and Belisle, however).

You also have to remember that this is the first time he's ever started throughout the duration of a big league season, and it's the first time since 2004 that he's had a workload this large in either the majors or minors. There's going to be some adjustment period, and part of what we've seen this season is likely that, an adjustment period.
    Harang
    Arroyo
    (someone)
    Bailey
    Belise....

Or something.....maybe have Bailey and Belisle battle it out for the 4 spot?

The hope is that Bailey eventually climbs up the ladder to the top...

Maybe Cueto gets a shot...and shows he ready...don't forget Matt Maloney who has promise.

I remember back in 2004 people feeling that Aaron Harang didn't have it either. Belisle has a lot of talent, he just needs to put it together. I think he could be a pretty solid starter if he ever does.

Bailey has a long way to go before he's a lock as a #3, even in this rotation.

There it is.

Nice job, Matt....18 in a row!!

Damn. There it goes. I was hoping he would at least lose it to a good player like Lee.

The starting staff doesn't look as bad on paper

The bullpen is the key.

Turn Off Ads?