Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career Change

Career Change

Have you ever thought about a mid-life carear change?

If so, how did you pull it off?

I enjoy what I do, and if push-came-to-shove I could do it for the rest of my life. However, the idea of changing up carears has been kicking around my mind for a while now, and the urge is getting stronger.

The main problem is what you would expect. I'd basically have to start over again both in terms of experience and money and I've been in my current carear for nearly 13 years. I can take a small hit to trade money for job satisfaction, however, I am the sole bread winner so I can't go nuts. In other words, I'm not quitting my job and going back to college to become a rodeo clown.

So, has anybody pulled off a carear change while maintaining a current job and not taking a massive financial hit? (I know I'm not asking for much).
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 10-02-2007 at 09:58 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Carear Change

I left a good job and moved to a city with no jobs in my former field. I was able to do it because my wife got a great job opportunity in a lower-cost city that paid as much as we were both making when I had the old job. I still haven't caught up to what I was making before we moved, but our household income is still higher and I get to spend more time with the kids.

My dad's example is probably closer to what you're looking for. He changed careers from government employee to self-employed by working long hours at both for a few years until he had built up his business enough to quit the government job.
    /r/reds

I certainly hope you're not a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    In other words, I'm not quitting my job and going back to college to become a rodeo clown..
    ... how about a Lion Tamer?

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I certainly hope you're not a teacher.

Oh...is that a clever jab at my spelling skills?

1.5 years and 4800 posts and it's just now dawning on you that I can't spell for crap? Wow. Certainly hope your not someone paid to be observant. Trust me, I've already removed myself from consideration on jobs such as proof-reading, editing or spelling-B judge.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 10-02-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    ... how about a Lion Tamer?
    Only if I can get an internship with this guy....

Oh...is that a clever jab at my spelling skills?

1.5 years and 4800 posts and it's just now dawning on you that I can't spell for crap? Wow. Certainly hope your not someone paid to be observant. Trust me, I've already removed myself from consideration on jobs such as proof-reading, editing or spelling-B judge.
    If you want to get a better paying job, you might want to consider college. Of course, you would have to get past English 101 and 102.

Btw, the post is meant as a jab, not to offend.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If you want to get a better paying job, you might want to consider college. Of course, you would have to get past English 101 and 102.

Btw, the post is meant as a jab, not to offend.
    Trust me, my spelling skills improve dramatically once I start getting paid for a task. If Redszone paid me what I make at the job, I'd double and triple check everything.

But my original question isn't really about making more money, its about switching carears to something more satisfying, without wrecking the family finances. Frankly, making more money is the least of my worries.

LtlAbner, I have to say, when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was "I hope it doesn't involve spelling". I normally don't comment, but you have to admit, this one just begs for it.

I have no words of wisdom on career changing. I have on what I call "the golden handcuffs", i.e. they pay me too much to consider switching careers. And, I am the sole ox pulling a very large cart behind. Once I shed some of the burden off my cart (i.e. money-sucking children), I may consider a switch. But that ain't for a while.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

High five!

Re: Career Change

Well, the male "exotic dancer" gig might not work out with the name "Ltlabner"...

Ahem.

But, consider things that are currently "hobbies" or "interests". Is there anything related to those that could be turned into a potential career?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Well, the male "exotic dancer" gig might not work out with the name "Ltlabner"...
    Maybe his Indian name is Hung-Lika-Horse ... you never know.

Have you ever thought about a mid-life carear change?

If so, how did you pull it off?

I enjoy what I do, and if push-came-to-shove I could do it for the rest of my life. However, the idea of changing up carears has been kicking around my mind for a while now, and the urge is getting stronger.

The main problem is what you would expect. I'd basically have to start over again both in terms of experience and money and I've been in my current carear for nearly 13 years. I can take a small hit to trade money for job satisfaction, however, I am the sole bread winner so I can't go nuts. In other words, I'm not quitting my job and going back to college to become a rodeo clown.

So, has anybody pulled off a carear change while maintaining a current job and not taking a massive financial hit? (I know I'm not asking for much).
    I just want to point out that the longer you wait, the harder it will become to switch. Your monetary needs and familial obligations (am I correct in thinking you don't have kids yet?) are only going to grow, not lessen. If you feel strongly about it, don't wait.

Explore your options. See what's out there. compare it to what you currently do on all counts, all obligations taken into consideration, but in the end make your decision based on what makes you happy (while also considering what's good for your family). I'm getting older and more jaded by the second, but I still subscribe to the theory that life is short and you have to do what makes you happy. Some people are wired upon the notion that your job doesn't need to be a fulfilling part of your life, that work is just work. These people can leave work at work and aren't brought down by work that doesn't fulfill them. Other people only trick themselves into believing they're wired that way. The fact that you're even kicking around the idea of a career change makes me think you don't fall into the former category. And if that's the case, you need work that makes you happy, and you're going to need it even more as time goes on. You can always learn to live on less money (really), but it's much more difficult to turn unfulfilling work into fulfilling work.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Two things people have said to me come to mind here:

1. Think about what you really enjoy and then do that. That's probably where you'll be the most successful.

2. The one common trait of people who own really nice summer homes seems to be that they all own their own businesses.

Taken together, it would seem that there are rewards to be had for taking a risk. For my part, I can attest that I'm at a point where I could stand to listen to that advice as well. Comfort is nice, but it's better to be striving for something.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

my wife is doing this as we speak...she is going to school part time...its tough on her but I think it will be worth it for her to do something she really enjoys

I also have on the Golden Handcuffs. I made a HUGE mid-life career change while staying within the same company. This wasn't necessarily by choice, but that's another story. I don't know what kind of company you're with but there may be other opportunities there.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?