Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 playoff predictions

2007 playoff predictions

Might as well get this going and see if FCB can continue his October Kreskin routine.

Wild card playoff - Padres over the Rockies

Jake Peavy vs. Josh Fogg? This is a mismatch for the ages. Suddenly Al Leiter vs. Steve Parris doesn't look so bad.

NLDS - Phillies over Padres, 3-2

Jake Peavy going today is a double-edged sword. It means he can only make one start in the division series. That and 2/3 of the starting OF on the shelf should be enough to do the Padres in.

NLDS - Diamondbacks over Cubs, 3-2

The D-Backs shouldn't be in the postseason. They're as big a fluke as has made October in a long time. Yet the Cubs stand zero chance of beating Brandon Webb. They can't do it and they won't. The Arizona bullpen will be able to salt away at least one other win.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-0

The Red Sox do their homework. Expect the swing-happy Angels to get exposed.

ALDS - Yankees over Indians 3-1

I'm hoping it goes the other way, but the Yankees strike me as a team primed to make a postseason run.

NLCS - Phillies over Diamondbacks 4-1

Philly can hit Arizona's pitching and, barring a bullpen meltdown (which certainly could happen) I expect the fighting Phils to be the superior team.

ALCS - Yankees over Red Sox 4-3

People will claim they're "tired" of New York vs. Boston, but everyone will watch and it will be exciting baseball.

World Series - Yankees over Phillies 4-1

An anti-climactic finish to the season. The Bombers remind everyone why they're the most storied franchise in sports history. Bob Abreu win Series MVP.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2008 playoff predictions

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    World Series - Yankees over Phillies 4-1
    Bob Abreu win Series MVP.

Oh, now that would just be cruel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Wild card playoff - Padres over the Rockies

If Francis were pitching, things would be different.

NLDS - Padres over Phillies, 3-2

pitching pitching pitching

NLDS - Diamondbacks over Cubs, 3-1

Arizonia has Brandon Webb and a killer bullpen. The Cubs are...well...the Cubs. The Dbacks may go against all conventional odds, but they managed to put up the best record in the NL.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-0

The Red Sox are simply a better team.

ALDS - Yankees over Indians 3-2

This will be close (and I will be rooting for the Tribe) but the Yanks have the offense and a pretty deep rotation. They will get it done.

NLCS - Diamondbacks over Padres 4-3

honestly don't know why, but I like Arizona. It could go either way though.

ALCS - Red Sox over Yankees 4-3

fun times

World Series - Red Sox over Diamondbacks 4-1

Red Sox>Diamondbacks

If it is my choice, though, it would be a Colorado-Cleveland World Series.

Wild card playoff - Rockies over the Padres

The Rocks have karma, luck, and momentum on their side. The Padres can't score.

NLDS - Phillies over Rockies, 3-1

It can't last forever.

NLDS - Diamondbacks over Cubs, 3-1

I hate the Cubs.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-1

The Red Sox are the Red Sox.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3-2

Indians have the pitching and the hitting.

NLCS - Phillies over Diamondbacks 4-1

Phillies may have destiny on their side.

ALCS - Indians over Red Sox 4-3

It'll be a struggle, but the Tribe will get it done.

World Series - Phillies over Indians 4-2

Two series that go the distance will wear on the Tribe. Jimmy Rollins MVP.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Wild card playoff - Rockies over Padres
    Jake Peavy has one achilles heel; he doesn't go deep in to games. Fogg doesn't either, but I'll take the Rockies in a late innings slugfest.

NLDS - Phillies over Rockies, 3-1
    The Phillies offense just bludgeons the Rockies despite getting very mediocre performances from pitchers not-named Cole Hamels.

NLDS - Cubs over Diamondbacks
    The Cubs offense is the most underrated and they easily have the deepest team. If Big Z is on, he can outdual Webb, and even if he's not, I'll take Lilly and Hill over the unreliable Davis and Hernanez.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-1
    "The Red Sox do their homework. Expect the swing-happy Angels to get exposed." Yup.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3-2
    Torre leaves his young guys out of critical situations and it bites him in the butt. The Indians starters have the best control of anybody in the playoffs, which will help offset one of the Yankees primary strengths.

NLCS - Cubs over Phillies 4-2
    The Phillies will rue their decision to put Brett Myers in the bullpen. After Hamels, it gets ugly. The Cubs will lean on Carlos Marmol to get them out of jams, and he'll have a Frankie Rodriguez like coming out party. I imagine the Phillies will win a few blowouts, but the Cubs will win the close ones and win a blowout or two of their own.

ALCS - Red Sox over Indians 4-3
    The de facto World Series, the Red Sox will reap the benefits of being careful with pitcher workloads. The bullpen will bounce back and the Sox have the advantage in the middle of the starting rotation. It will be a very back and forth series, but the Sox offensive depth provides a much greater buffer against an untimely slump.

World Series - Cubs over Red Sox 4-3
    I have absolutely no reason to make this prediction. However, I live and Chicago and am so tired of hearing about the poor Cubbies. They will win and it will, oddly enough, be on the strength of guys who they didn't spend millions for -- Ryan Theriot, Rich Hill, Matt Murton, Geovanny Soto, and Carlos Marmol.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I completely agree with M2's predictions. I think the Yankees and Phillies will eventually play each other in the World Series with the Yankees winning in six games. I have a feeling that this is the Yankee's season with all the turmoil that surrounded them early just made them tougher for a playoff run. ARod will finally vindicate himself in the post season and I think Torre will use this championship as his swan song and retire.

For tonights game, Paevy and the Padres will win but it will hurt the Padres in the next series because he won't be available to at least game three.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Rox over Pads: I despise the Padres' offense.

Rox over Phils: better pen in Denver.

D-Backs over Cubs: exuberance beats one of the more overrated big-time arms in Zambrano.

D-Backs over Rox in NLCS (4-3)--should be a very fine matchup between equally matched opponents.

I don't care how it happens, but Cleveland will win the AL.

D-Backs over Cleveland in 6 for their second ring this decade. Brandon Webb wins MVP.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Wild card playoff - Padres over Rockies. Though Fogg has a pretty good record against other teams aces I have to go with Peavy in this matchup.

NLDS - Phillies over Padres 3 games to 1. Phillies offense should have no problem with anyone other than Peavy

NLDS - Dbacks over Cubs 3 games to 1. Webb will dominate the Cubs lineup.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels 3 games to 1 Red Sox just a better team like others have said.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3 games to 2 Toughest series to call for me but I think the Indians pull this out in 5.

NLCS - Phillies over Dbacks 4 games to 1. I think Phillies offense will have no problem with any Dback pitcher except Webb.

ALCS - Red Sox over Indians 4 games to 2 I just think the Red Sox have a better team than the Indians

WS - Red Sox over Phillies 4 games to 3 A real high scoring world series between these teams but I like the Red Sox to win it all.

Wild card playoff - Rockies over Padres San Diego seems to be tanking like the mets

NLDS - Phillies over Rockies 3 games to 1. The Rox are still the Rox

NLDS - Dbacks over Cubs 3 games to 0. Break out the goats cub fans.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels 3 games to 2 The Angels will blow a 2-0 series lead.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3 games to 1 The Indians are just a better team.

NLCS - Phillies over Dbacks 4 games to 0. I see the Dbacks running out of gas suddenly

ALCS - Indians over Red Sox 4 games to 3 Close series.

WS - Indians over Phillies 4 games to 1 The AL is sadly just better.
    Go Gators!

I'd love to see the Yankees pound the Cubs in the Series. More for the symbolism than anything else.

Part of me would also like to see a Colorado-Cleveland series.

Mainly because TV and ad execs would be jumping in bunches from tall buildings.

Wild card playoff - Rockies over Padres - Pitching, pitching, pitching as someone says above. Well maybe but not in colorado. Padres are so bad offensively that the Rockies win.

NLDS - Phillies over Rockies 3 games to 2. This series would be a slug fest.

NLDS - Dbacks over Cubs 3 games to 1. Brandon Webb.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels Sweep. I really like the red sox and the way their team is built. Give me a series with Beckett, Schilling, and DiceK and I take the Sox. The Angles may frustrate the Sox but Boston is just too talented.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3 games to 1 CC and Carmona are a 1-2 punch that will scare anyone. Don't think the Yankees have enough in the tank to beat the indians.

NLCS - DBacks over Phills 4-2. Did I mention a guy by the name Brandon Webb. 2 starts in a 7 games series spell doom for the Phills.

ALCS Red Sox over Indians 4-1. I like the Indians but the Sox are just a better team.

WS - Red Sox over DBacks 4-3. Red Sox IMO are the best team in baseball. Sure they had a bump in the road but taking the division over the Yankees will give them a boost through out the entire playoffs.

I am a little biased. I was at Fenway last friday and it was an amazing experience. As much as I hate north eastern fans and their belief that sports only exist in the north east, they are passionate baseball fans.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I was at Fenway last friday and it was an amazing experience. As much as I hate north eastern fans and their belief that sports only exist in the north east, they are passionate baseball fans.
    I'm sure they'd hate you too if they recognized your existence.

So next year will go just like this year did, huh...

I was a bit confused also. But thought maybe I missed a joke somewhere

And I'm not surprised the Angels are getting no love on this site. Some people just hate that they are such a damn good franchise with their style.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    So next year will go just like this year did, huh...
    Doh! Been doing a lot of 2008 budget planning. If a mod wants to fix that, that would be cool.

Turn Off Ads?