Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sampson at it again

Re: Sampson at it again

I will say one thing, if the Tubby change had been made a year sooner, we might have seen Darius Miller, Bud Mackey, and Scotty Hopson in Kentucky blue, regardless of who was coaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sampson let a lot of people down -- and he let them down hard. In the end, I don't think it's a fireable offense. But it's not absurd to think it. And I think it makes the leash he was on even shorter than it once was.

The only saving grace in this mess is how IU's AD Rick Greenspan handled this situation. I now have the knowledge that our Athletic Director is not only proactive on matters of compliance, he's also brutally honest, by the book, thorough, and fair. I can't imagine how he could have handled this matter any better than what he did.

I know I am late to the conversation but Sampson is an embarrassment to Indiana University and should be fired along with the AD who hired him ASAP.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I know I am late to the conversation but Sampson is an embarrassment to Indiana University and should be fired along with the AD who hired him ASAP.
    A friend of mine back there tells me this is the general sentiment around southern Indiana.

Indiana knew exactly what they were getting when they hired this guy. No one should be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Sampson let a lot of people down -- and he let them down hard. In the end, I don't think it's a fireable offense. But it's not absurd to think it. And I think it makes the leash he was on even shorter than it once was.
    If ...
    1) IU had not been an NCAA team last year
    2) Sampson did not have a top recruiting class coming in
    I am pretty sure that IU would have taken this opportunity to cut and run.

If you can recruit and win a lot of sleaziness will be tolerated.
    Last edited by flyer85; 10-18-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    His leash should already be down to an inch long because of violations at his previous job. Since Sampson repeated the SAME violations that got him sanctioned at his previous school, the AD would be completely justified if he fired him immediately.

Ya can't teach speed...

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Amen to that.
    I'm a Purdue grad and for many years while traveling on business; I got asked just because I live in Indiana "what's up with Bobby Knight, why is he such a jerk (expletives deleted)? Now it's starting all over again, albeit a different reason, but I'm getting asked "What's with Sampson's cheating".

Frankly, I didn't and don't care for BK's attitude but I will give the guy credit that he never cheated; and I don't recall his assistants every having to take the fall for anything that happened in the IU Basketball program.

I would never say bring Bobby back, heaven forbid I would have to see his ranting and raving on the 10pm news again; but it could be that Sampson's spots aren't going to change either. The one thing that I believe can wreck a successful athletic program is a reputation for cheating. If you have a strong enough desire to remain clean you find a way to make sure everyone is. No excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    His leash should already be down to an inch long because of violations at his previous job. Since Sampson repeated the SAME violations that got him sanctioned at his previous school, the AD would be completely justified if he fired him immediately.
    ... and he would have if he didn't think Sampson was going to produce consistently good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    The one thing that I believe can wreck a successful athletic program is a reputation for cheating.
    The one thing that will wreck a program is losing.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The one thing that will wreck a program is losing.
    Sadly, losing is probably worse than cheating in the eyes of the most influential fans- the ones who pony up the bucks to support the athletic programs.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Rob Senderoff has decided it is in his and Indiana University's best interests that he voluntarily resign," the school said in a statement.
    Rarely in college athletics does the real person who is responsible take the fall.

Turn Off Ads?