Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here like Blues?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Does anyone here like Blues?

Just curious...

Not commercially successful music, at least as a whole..., but I love the sound...the jams, the riffs...the emotion, the feeling.

Down and dirty instrumentalization (if that's not a word, I just created it)....down and dirty raw talent.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does anyone here like Blues?

TeamBoone and I both love it.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Absolutely! I wish there was a local radio station that played it on a consistent basis. I also like jazz (some of it anyway) and miss The Wave.

It would be really nice if we had a station that played a mix of "off-beat" music or had specific segments that feature different genre... like blues and jazz for instance.

I don't want to hear either all the time, but it would be nice to know that there was a place to go on the dial where I could always rely on it being available.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I love it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I guess it depends on what kind of blues it is. I like listening to guys like Elmore James and BB King. I really like alot of rock blues. Earlier albums by Clapton and Allman Brothers for example.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm much more into jazz, but the distinction between the two can get somewhat gray.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Yes. And my favorities are delta blues - Charlie Patton, Son House and Bukka White. For more recent releases - Fat Possum is a good label - RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough released good music in the 90s on that label before they died.

I'm a big jazz and blues fan. My favorite blues artists are B.B. King and Stevie Ray Vaughan by far. As far as jazz goes, I like Dizzy Gillespie, Oscar Peterson, Sonny Stitt, and Stan Getz, among others.

Love it, love it, love it...

Love Jazz, too.
    In addition to the ones mentioned above, I like listening to Robben Ford, a good west coast type blues with some jazz undertones. Or Ronnie Earl for that soulful Chicago style blues.

Love Mike Stern too on the jazz side, more fusion if you will.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

I'm really into Lightnin' Hopkins and Howlin' Wolf.

I used to have a nieghbor growing up that claimed to have known Hubert Summlin (Wolf's main guitar player), but I think he was lying.

The guy would play songs for me after I finished mowing his lawn.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Eleven posts in and no one's mentioned Robert Johnson. That stuff will rip you up. Absolutely amazing, but I think you have to be in a certain place to listen to it. That's how I feel about a lot of the blues. I love it, though.

Old country, blues and folk is a lot of what I listen to anymore. It's either a phase or a sign of decline.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Love it, love it, love it...

Love Jazz, too.
    In addition to the ones mentioned above, I like listening to Robben Ford, a good west coast type blues with some jazz undertones. Or Ronnie Earl for that soulful Chicago style blues.

Love Mike Stern too on the jazz side, more fusion if you will.
    Try west coaster Tommy Castro. Top notch stuff.

Love me some Blues and I've been digging some of the Zydeco style here recently.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Some blues is boring to me, mostly the highly produced stuff. Hate to say it, but SRV did nothing for me.
    What I like is stuff that is more raw, like one guy and a guitar. Lightening Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt, older stuff I guess. I could listen to old recordings of Delta blues for hours.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Ever since Brett Hull left, the Blues just aren't what they used to be. I know they tried with Gretzky and all, but it's still not the same.

Oh, you aren't talking hockey? My bad.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan. Yeah, I like it.

Turn Off Ads?