Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Re: Managerial search update(s) Could it be Dusty?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I think he's being dismissed as a terrible manager for this team that the Reds are trying to become. The Reds are trying to build a team with a solid pitching staff with young arms. Based on Baker's past record with young arms, many, including me, do not think he is a good fit, unless you have stock in Kremchek's practice.
    I again have been looking at who Baker had with the Giants and there were plenty of young pitchers who came up under him some of whom proved to be decent pitchers in their careers.

One who got his start with Dusty Baker was Jeff Brantley. We then acquired Brantley from the Giants. Anyone recall what Brantley has said about Baker this year?

Again though, I ask folks to name other pitchers who were ruined by Baker. I'm not saying there aren't, but I don't know them off the top of my head. It may well be that Baker's pitcher use hastened what was inevitable with Prior and Wood and now he carries this rep as a destroyer of pitchers.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm not sure I'm buying that. I just spent a little bit of time looking at the Giants rosters through Baker's years there. There were young players who came up with him and did alright. Aurelia, Bill Mueller, Shawn Estes, Russ Ortiz to name a few.

Even the players we consider aged, weren't all that old when they played for him (still in their late 20's, early 30's) - e.g. Barry Bonds.

I remember when Baker left the Giants and went to the Cubs, he was considered a decent manager. I'm not going to do handstands over Baker, but everyone's been clamoring for a "big name" and he meets that criterion. They'll still be my team. I'll hope for the best. I just think folks are freaking out way too much - it's just a game.
    I didn't say he wouldn't use any youngsters, but he's not going to lead a youth movement. In particular, expect some veteran arms for the rotation if Baker gets the gig. BTW, in the short-term, I'm totally for that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I think he's being dismissed as a terrible manager for this team that the Reds are trying to become. The Reds are trying to build a team with a solid pitching staff with young arms. Based on Baker's past record with young arms, many, including me, do not think he is a good fit, unless you have stock in Kremchek's practice.
    With due respect to the Reds, they aren't trying that hard to build a team with young arms or they would trade name players for great young arms. They don't have that many great young arms. Two or three, some maybes, and some kids who just left high school.

Pro sports today is a short-term business. You can't look too far ahead because players move. The Reds can't say they are building for 2010 -- they can't predict where many of their key players will be then. Not sure when the Harang/Arroyo deals end, but can anyone predict if they will be healthy and helping the Reds that far ahead?

At some point you have to try and win or you are forever engaged in rebuilding. It becomes circular -- the Pirates develop Barry Bonds so he can be great for the Giants. The Marlins develop Josh Beckett so he can help the Red Sox. Yes, Beckett helped the Marlins win -- but only when they spent and went for it.

If Baker means that ownership is really going to try and win in the next year or two, that's fine with me, I don't care whether that is consistent with any current philosophy. As long as they follow through on the player side with good acquisitions.

As a Reds fan, I want the team in the Reds unis to win. Whether they are young pitchers or good veterans doesn't concern me. Just don't give me second and third tier talent.

Dusty as a manager was famous for leaving little tokens of interest or friendship at his players locker.. IE say Robb Nenn liked Metallica, Dusty would leave tickets and a backstage pass to see them for Rob.

Being an outfielder he has an outfielders approach to pitching, which often means he only understands how to hit it and the rest is a mystery to him. For a team with big names and vets he's a better fit. But for a team that is transcending hopefully beyond a historic dip I don't see him as a good fit. He's not an Earl Weaver, nor is he he a Booby Cox... he's more like a Lasorda, a cheerleader and a guy who will want to lean on sure things and a set lineup, often despite the results

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Two Words: Neifi Perez

I don't mean playing once in a while, I mean everyday, if you didn't like the veteran scrappiness this year (Stanton, Conine) just wait til Dusty has his say in personnel moves.

Two Words: Neifi Perez

I don't mean playing once in a while, I mean everyday, if you didn't like the veteran scrappiness this year (Stanton, Conine) just wait til Dusty has his say in personnel moves

I'm sure if you look at the record of any manager whose tenure exceeded 10 years that you'd find he relied on some unproductive players somewhere along the way. Sometimes the roster is thin. If Perez had been blocking some young SS now playing productively for the Cubs or some other team, then you'd have a gripe, but I don't think that was the case. If you want to say he ruined the career of the one and only Ronny Cedeno, that's OK, too, but that's not going to convince me Baker is wholly incapable of identifying promising young talent.

The guy's had a year off. Time to reflect on the past and past mistakes. I doubt he'll be the same manager he was.

I'll be happy if the Reds' front office loads up the roster with the profile of a team that Dusty can manage. Baker is like Lou Piniella, you bring him in to push a veteran team up over the edge into the playoffs. I'm all for the playoffs. 1995 is a long time ago.

But Baker managing the roster that was the Reds at the end of 2007 seems a mismatch.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'll be happy if the Reds' front office loads up the roster with the profile of a team that Dusty can manage. Baker is like Lou Piniella, you bring him in to push a veteran team up over the edge into the playoffs. I'm all for the playoffs. 1995 is a long time ago.

But Baker managing the roster that was the Reds at the end of 2007 seems a mismatch.
    Totally agreed. Baker needs to be the first step, not the last.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

A trainwreck, indeed. I imagine Dusty will let them know this in the interview.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    .I'm sure if you look at the record of any manager whose tenure exceeded 10 years that you'd find he relied on some unproductive players somewhere along the way.
    That's one reason I refuse to go crazy about this report. It's also the reason that whomever is selected to be the next Reds manager will be torn to shreds on this board.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Now that Doc and Trent are saying that Dusty is the front-runner, I'm more likely to believe it. I hope that another candidate name or two leaks out before the search is over, because I'd hate to think that Dusty was the best option available to the Reds.
    /r/reds

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Sounds like it has happened more so than imminent.
    That's probably more like it.

Got the "not ready to announce anything at this time" answer from the Reds PR department

Similar to the "Cannot confirm or deny" answer I've gotten before.....like the LaRue trade before it was...."official"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I hated the Dodgers. (still do) I never met a Reds Fan who even liked Garvey,Yeager or Ron Cey.
    It was late...I was being sarcastic and I guess with being so tired I didn't correctly communicate that.

I hate any team in any combination of Blue and any other color.

Go REDS!!!

Go BUCKS!!!

Screw the blue!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Someone put the life-squad in NJ on stand-by. Edabbs might hemmorage.

The hiring of Dusty will mean 3 things:

1) The probability of arm injuries to the Reds pitching staff will go through the roof

2) All of a sudden, the sign above the pro-Krivsky side of the board will read "Vacancy"

3) My new signature will read "Bandwagon's full, please catch another", courtesy of Fall Out Boy.

PS: I cannot stand Dusty Baker. This is not good. Not good at all. It doesn't even matter who the manager is. The roster is still looking like swiss cheese. Fix the roster first.

Turn Off Ads?