Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Re: Managerial search update(s) Could it be Dusty?

In case any of you still don't know what I think about Dusty Baker,

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Go for it, TC.

Just know that if the Reds do eventually hire Baker, I'm sure I'll be able to provide you with a whole bunch of worthy signature quotables.
    Good times!! Thank you!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

This from Trent's blog:

Thursday, October 11, 2007
    Manager stuff

Like everyone else, my sources have told me Dusty Baker interviewed for the Reds' manager position and has been in Sarasota in recent days.

One source who didn't tell me that was Baker's agent, Greg Genske, who told me he wasn't commenting on anything and when I asked a follow-up question, hung up on me.

Pete Mackanin said he doesn't know much more than his golf game stinks. He's not talked to anyone.

Wayne Krivsky hasn't returned my calls, and tonight the call went straight to voice mail.
    Sounds immenent to me.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    This from Trent's blog:

Sounds immenent to me.
    Sounds like it has happened more so than imminent.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Over/under on words before Krivsky says that Baker "knows how win" or that he gets his guys to "play the game the right way"?

I'm setting it at 20 words in to the presser.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If all the rumors are true, I can't say I'm too keen on Dusty being the new manager, but I'm not going to slit my wrists or anything.

Come spring, he'll be our guy and let's hope he can find some good mojo somewhere. Not that anyone cares, but he'll get a fair shake from me. It's either that or whine for months on end.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Ken Rosenthal is also reporting this:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7323872

BAKER interviews with Reds
    "Former San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker has interviewed with the Cincinnati Reds for their vacant manager position and could be emerging as the leading contender for the job, major league sources tell FOXSports.com.

Baker's discussions with the Reds were also reported on the Web site for the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The Reds have been seeking a high-profile manager to replace Jerry Narron, who was fired by the team in mid-season. However, interim manager Pete Mackanin is still considered to be a candidate for the vacancy.

Baker is a three-time NL Manager of the Year and took both his previous teams to the brink of titles, leading the Giants to the World Series in 2002 and the Cubs to the NLCS in 2003.

Baker currently serves as an analyst for ESPN, having been fired in Chicago after going 66-96 during the 2006 season."

The move is another step in the steady aging process the Cubs have undergone since Dusty Baker arrived 15 months ago. Bobby Hill lost the second-base job that was to be his to Mark Grudzielanek and was traded; Hee Seop Choi lost his first-base job to Eric Karros and was traded. Now Maddux replaces Cruz. Only Corey Patterson has been able to establish himself under Baker, and his 2003 season was cut short by an knee injury before he had a chance to fall out of favor. The Cubs may win a championship, but there's no question that Baker's impact has shortened their timeframe for doing so. I'll stand by what I wrote after last year's NLCS: the Cubs will never again be so close to a World Series under Baker.
    Frankly, canning Hill, Choi, Cruz and eventually Patterson turned out to be a generally correct set of decisions.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

When future baseball archeologists find this stratum in Reds history, I want it noted for the record. My opinion is that Dusty Baker may be the second worse choice that the team has for hiring a field manager. Joe Girardi being the worst. It really doesn't matter much to me what the current thought might be of the pitchers in the Reds organization, I don't want either of those two guys anywhere close to them.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Here is a poll. Looks likw we aren't alone.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...040/1071/rss08
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post

I just don't understand the wailing and moaning over this move. The guy is a winner and brings some legitimacy to this team that is sorely lacking. You hire a Dusty Baker and you're making a statement that you're not the Pirates or the Royals. That's important.
    His more recent record with the cubs speaks more then his Giant years, the cubs got steadily worse.

A winner? not in my opinion, a winner has rings.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Here is a poll. Looks likw we aren't alone.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...040/1071/rss08
    While I'm in no way a Dusty booster, the results of this poll are hardly scientific.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    While I'm in no way a Dusty booster, the results of this poll are hardly scientific.
    It is funny though, enquirer polls this year included results saying the Reds needed to bench Dunn, start Hopper, trade EE and call up Bailey.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Frankly, canning Hill, Choi, Cruz and eventually Patterson turned out to be a generally correct set of decisions.
    Yep, but neither Mark Grudzielaneck, nor Eric Karros were that great a shake for the Cubs either. Do you really want to trust Dusty Baker's hand when it comes to Votto, Encarnacion, Bruce, Bailey, Cueto, etc.?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    His more recent record with the cubs speaks more then his Giant years, the cubs got steadily worse.

A winner? not in my opinion, a winner has rings.
    Billy Beane isn't a winner? Bobby Cox is just BARELY a winner?

Dusty has won at two different places. The Prior/Wood stuff is overdone in my opinion. It's more about the organizational attitude that allows pitch counts like that to happen. Krivsky was schooled under Terry Ryan. He isn't going to allow any manager to threaten young arms.

And I've never seen a manager blamed for pitching injuries than Dusty Baker. Why is that? There is nothing more than random correlation in my opinion. Everyone knows how risky young arms are anyway.

One more thing. Anyone seen Kerry Wood and Mark Prior lately? They are completely different looking than in the past. Not saying they 'roided themself into injuries. Wouldn't be shocked though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?