Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Maybe this should go somewhere else....or maybe we should have a thread for managerial search updates...

I don't know. Not my call

Mods..do your thing

Managerial search update

With Tony LaRussa's decision potentially weeks away, would the Reds be willing to delay their managerial decision that long to see if he's available?

Neither GM Wayne Krivsky nor CEO Bob Castellini would put a timetable on the hiring Wednesday.

"We're going through the process," Krivsky said from the team's facility in the Sarasota, where he's attending the club's organizational meetings.

Krivsky did say he has not talked to interim manager Pete Mackanin any further, and declined to say name names as far as outside candidates.

The Reds have spoken to at least one minority candidate, as is mandated by Major League Baseball.

If the Reds go outside for the hire, it's likely to be someone with major league experience. The club is known to have interest in Joe Girardi and Bob Brenly.

Girardi's agent, Steve Mandrell, would not comment Wednesday. Brenly confirmed his interest in the job in September.

The big-name minority candidate who's available is Dusty Baker, the former Chicago Cub and San Francisco Giant manager. Baker is working as an analyst for ESPN. His agent, Greg Genske, did not return a call Wednesday.

-Fay

Dusty Baker: Lord help us all

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Managerial search update(s)

Knowing that the commissioner's office puts a lid on hiring announcements until after the WS, we shouldn't be sitting around with bated breath waiting for any news on this.

Maybe we can all hope that with the demands of his ESPN analysis gig, Dusty will be far too busy to interview?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Knowing that the commissioner's office puts a lid on hiring announcements until after the WS, we shouldn't be sitting around with bated breath waiting for any news on this.

You're right. I don't know what the punishment is for teams who jump the gun on these announcements but if I were running a team, I'd say screw that and hire someone ASAP. If they fined the team, I'd pay it.

Maybe we can all hope that with the demands of his ESPN analysis gig, Dusty will be far too busy to interview?
    We can only hope. But I think Big Dust is through now and Joe Morgan's taking over since I heard them sign off the other night coming home from work. I don't know if he's doing any in studio work for ESPN TV though. So there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Hopefully Dusty has learned his lessons if he get's the gig. I didn't have a major problem with the other aspects of his work. The pitching part is big enough for me to hope the Reds stay FAR away. But he can lead a team. Maybe all the heat he takes for Prior, Wood, and others would change him. Who knows?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

The after the WS thing isn't that big a deal anymore. With the post season going 'till November and the realization that you can't keep a lid on these things, they do accept and acknowledge that hirings will be announced while baseball is still being played. They do prefer you pick an off day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The after the WS thing isn't that big a deal anymore. With the post season going 'till November and the realization that you can't keep a lid on these things, they do accept and acknowledge that hirings will be announced while baseball is still being played. They do prefer you pick an off day.
    That's what I was thinking. It seems to me several moves were announced last year.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Has Bobby Valentine's name surfaced yet? I wouldn't mind seeing him lead the Reds next year.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Brenly - yuck.
    Baker - yuck.

Ugh.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Has Bobby Valentine's name surfaced yet? I wouldn't mind seeing him lead the Reds next year.
    He's managing a team in Japan. The Japanese baseball season appears to be still underway.

If he's under contract to the team there, would the Reds have to pay millions to his current team for the rights to negotiate? If so, then no thanks.
    /r/reds

I guess this is how Krivsky plays the press, but when the Reds say "we have no schedule", that's a lot of bunk.

What they mean is "we have a schedule, but we aren't going to tell you anything". If they don't have a prioritized list of candidates, potential timelines for them, and the likelihood of each of those timelines playing out all plotted, then they are bozos.

WK and BCast just play their cards extremely close to the vest.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Brenly - yuck.
    Baker - yuck.

Ugh.

We could get Joe Randa back for you.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Brenly - yuck.
    Baker - yuck.

Ugh.
    Girardi - yuck.
    Go Gators!

nm, this was the same article as the OP.
    /r/reds

Lets just hope this is nothing more than idle speculation, because the thought of Dusty Baker coming to town scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Lets just hope this is nothing more than idle speculation, because the thought of Dusty Baker coming to town scares me.
    Probably scares Harang and Arroyo as well.

Turn Off Ads?