Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Re: Managerial search update(s) Could it be Dusty?

I will seriously question my lifelong commitment to being a Reds fan if Dusty Baker dons with wishbone-C.

The thought of Dusty managing the Reds makes me cringe more than Panic at the Disco.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    If there's good news, Baker likes the mashers. This'll probably get Dunn's option picked up.
    He also likes putting fast scrappy guys at the top of the lineup and sacrificing them over when they do manage to get on base...in the top of the first inning....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He also likes putting fast scrappy guys at the top of the lineup and sacrificing them over when they do manage to get on base...in the top of the first inning....
    He's not an OBP guy....so I hear.

Folks won't like that

Let me get this straight: you've sat through Bowden, O'Brien, and now Krivsky--but it's Dusty Baker who'd get you to jump ship?

Weak.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I forgot about that part. Pitchers and mashers I knew.

I forgot his man-love for Juan Pierre.

Thanks RMR.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I've been a faithful Reds fan for over 40 years. I've been the through the best and the worst of season's and never waivered, but if they name Dusty Baker as manager I may have found my breaking point. I can't imagine a worse candidate! Blech!

Keep Mack..Bring back Narron..Miley... give Hatcher or Oester a sot! Fine! Just for the love of everything holy! NOT DUSTY BAKER!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I hope John Fay gets wrong on this so bad, he'll have to leave town.
    Why would this be any different from all the rest of the garbage he has written??? I mean REALLY?? The truth is the Enquirer has Fay because writers do not want to come here. The paper is in flux and the Reds PR dept is difficult to work with. That torture is almost as Bad as having Narron in the dugout.

Look at how much trouble the Red are having filling simple Player Development roles. We're not talking about Senior level positions here... There is still a lot of issues going on behind closed doors. As a fan I am concerned on a lot of levels.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Well, let's move past the pitching issue and discuss his Joe Morgan like understand of any analytical concepts. This is going to be a really rough off-season if it starts this way...

This would be a clear sign that we have management not interested in joining the 21st century of business practice. I know fandom is somewhat arbitrary based on where you grow up and what team you first root for. I've maintained my fandom despite moving away from Ohio at age 8. But this might be the straw that breaks my fandom's back.
    At least we'll know the secret meaning to The Power of Tradition ... which is nothing more than a fancy way of saying Living in the Past.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Let me get this straight: you've sat through Bowden, O'Brien, and now Krivsky--but it's Dusty Baker who'd get you to jump ship?

Weak.
    There is bad and then there is toxic.

Dusty Baker is toxic.
    Go Gators!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    At least we'll know the secret meaning to The Power of Tradition ... which is nothing more than a fancy way of saying Living in the Past.
    If it's Ok with you I would like to copy that for my signature....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    He's not an OBP guy....so I hear.

Folks won't like that
    Yeah folks who like getting people on base and scoring runs
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    There is bad and then there is toxic.

Dusty Baker is toxic.
    I really don't see it that way.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Take it for what it's worth, from Lance's blog...

Bob Brenly is not a candidate for the job. The Reds would have to move off their "extremley short list" for his name to become a factor. Joe Girardi is not interested in the job. All signs point to Dusty Baker.

Before you rip his sources....remember who had the Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley news well in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

Weak.
    I'm not going to jump ship and not be a Reds fan, but I somewhat understand the sentiment of those who may be hanging on by a few fingers. Eventually it gets to the point that the stupid crap piles up so high that some people just simply stop caring.

To me, the hiring of Dusty Baker would be yet another fresh symbol that this is an organization that just plain out doesn't get it. There's been a lengthy [and pretty good, I might add] discussion in another thread about the Yankees, market size, payrolls, smart organizations, bad organizations, etc. RMR made a point in that thread that if you don't spend a ton of money and you're stupid, then you have little to no chance to succeed in baseball, and that's a point I very much agree with.

We already know that the Reds won't shake the barrel with a large payroll. Of course, they can elect to not hire Baker and remain to be a farce; that's always a viable option too. But if this team hired Baker, it'd just throw another plainly visible nail in the coffin that the Reds' organization continues to be one of the most incompetent organizations in all of baseball. And if this organization continues to be just that, then it's just simply not going to start winning anytime soon.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

If it's one guy that I don't want, it's that pud Girardi--he seems way more interested in showing people who's boss as opposed to managing personalities.

Dusty seems to work with personalities, if nothing else. And like I said, I like that he places a chip on each player's shoulder. That's admirable. I despise pleasantness.

Turn Off Ads?