Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What's more difficult to accomplish in the NFL: To go winless or to go undefeated?

What's more difficult to accomplish in the NFL: To go winless or to go undefeated?

Both seem really difficult to do... teams are vying to do both this season... which is more difficult? Parity is supposed to rule the day in the NFL these days...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's more difficult to accomplish in the NFL: To go winless or to go undefeated

It's more likely that a team will go winless than it is that one will go undefeated, in my opinion. Once teams get to 13-0 or 14-0, there is a great likelihood that they have sewn up home field advantage for the playoffs, so they're likely to rest players near the end of the season. The only way I see it happening is if their schedule is stacked at the end with weak teams, so that they win regardless of who rests.

As for the other, it will take a lot of bad luck for a team to go winless. There have been some pretty bad teams since the '76 Bucs, and all have found a way to win at least one.

Re: What's more difficult to accomplish in the NFL: To go winless or to go undefeated

Apologies to Chip, but I think it would be neat if the only organization with an undefeated regular season also had the only season with an 0-16 record as well
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Apologies to Chip, but I think it would be neat if the only organization with an undefeated regular season also had the only season with an 0-16 record as well
    :thumbdown
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

Chip is a Dolphins fan? I didn't know! Poor guy!!

If Ronnie Brown's knee ligaments are indeed torn, the Dolphins have a great shot at 0-16.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    It's more likely that a team will go winless than it is that one will go undefeated, in my opinion. Once teams get to 13-0 or 14-0, there is a great likelihood that they have sewn up home field advantage for the playoffs, so they're likely to rest players near the end of the season. The only way I see it happening is if their schedule is stacked at the end with weak teams, so that they win regardless of who rests.
    Opposite is also true, though -- scheduling will often work out that a really bad team will meet one of these teams that is "mailing it in" for Week 17 with no starters playing.

Thats a good way to get a W in an otherwise winless season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If Ronnie Brown's knee ligaments are indeed torn...
    ESPN confirms.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Any Cam Cameron lead team has a good shot to go winless. The Dolphins deserve going winless just for hiring that guy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

16-0 is way more difficult than 0-16, IMO.

There's too much pressure to try to go undefeated, so a team would slip up in that pursuit, whereas winless teams seemingly have no pressure to win, but doesn't mean that'll guarantee a W.

Turn Off Ads?