Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Gangster

Re: American Gangster

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I really liked it as well.
    *SPOILER*
    I think the movie would have been a little bit better if you had really wanted Russell Crowe's character to catch Lucas. They didn't do a good enough job building up Crowe's character as the "cop with something to prove". I think they needed to explain further why he was the cop he was or they could have made Lucas more of a bad guy. There was a very short scene where the mom was high and the baby was crying next to her that I thought was very powerful. If they would have extended that scene or added a couple others like it, it would have made Lucas less likeable and showed what his business was really doing to people.
    But overall I thought it was a great movie and Denzel will be right in the race for best actor this year.
    You didn't want Crowe's character to catch Lucas? It was pretty clear to me who the bad guy was.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    You didn't want Crowe's character to catch Lucas? It was pretty clear to me who the bad guy was.
    Its not so much that you didn't know that Lucas was a bad guy, but he was a "likeable" bad guy. They spent a lot of time showing his success and development and I think it would have been better had they shown what cost that success came for a little more.

Saw the movie. Thought it was damn good. I didn't think it was the GREAT movie some here did, but it was definitety very good. I thought it dragged at times and focused a little too much on certain things at the expense of others. I get why they brought Crowe's whole divorce and custody situation into the plot, but I didn't think it was necessary to develop Crowe's character. His experience as an honest cop was enough, IMO. I would have rather seen more of his affiliation with the mafia, which was much more extensive in real life. I also would have liked to see more about his rivalry with Nicky (Cuba Gooding Jr's character). In real life these two were big-time rivals. But no movie is perfect. This is a very good one, which I think very few movies released these days are.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?