Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obscurity, popularity, and taste

Re: Obscurity, popularity, and taste

What's all the racket in this thread about? Can't everyone keep it down a little bit...I'm trying to listen to some Nickelback right now!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Snobbery. Hate it.

On work outings for management, I tend to order vodka martinis (Stoli, if avalable). Up. Stirred rather than shaken (James Bond was a wuss). No olives. I like a good vodka martini and it's got a kick. But, I always get a look from some guy who proceeds to order a Samuel Adams because he saw it ordered in a commercial by a guy who wore a suit. Dude looks at me like I'm a snob and then orders what might be the ultimate snob beer. Yeah. Good one.

Music. My wife does an incredible job of identifying future hits from obscure bands. As a historical marker, this is a woman who had to special order No Doubt's breakthrough album at a local On Cue because no one had ever heard of them. She suggests bands to co-workers pretty consistently and they look at her like she's some kind of music snob. The she sees them chair-dancing to the same tune she recommended two months earlier.

FYI- The Fratellis. She had me listening to them many moons ago.

Movies. I like "Intacto" (and everyone should). The Russian "Night Watch" is at least a cult classic and one of the best Sci-Fi/Fantasy films made in the last 20 years. The sequel "Day Watch" is also an excellent flick. There's a lot of good stuff being made outside the US, but mention it and you're a movie "snob".

Gaming. Don't even get me started on the current war between X-Box 360 and PS3 fanboys. Personally, I don't care who likes what. I just want folks to have fun. But I also play Magic the Gathering and that's a game with a caste system like no other. I've been pretty successful at that game and hold two State championships and multiple top 8 tourney finishes as well as solid PTQ and Regional finishes.

A couple years ago I played in a Grand Prix tourney in Minneapolis and was simply flabbergasted by the elitism shown by the Pro Tour players I had the misfortune to meet. One guy faced off against me in a match and very loudly declared that he had just flown in from a professional poker tournament in Las Vegas. Wow. Awesome. I wonder why he lost that match. During the next match, my Pro Tour opponent stalled the game at every opportunity when we were playing under a time limit and then got verbally abusive after he lost the 2nd game of a three-game match with only five minutes left. The "judge" (and I use that term loosely) did nothing to stop the jerk from continuing this "Pro Tour" player's verbal assault after I had to shuffle and then re-shuffle my deck. Then I tried to talk to a guy named Josh Ravitz (he's google-enabled) at the concession stand. He looked at me as if I were nobody and didn't even acknowledge me. Thanks Pro Tour snob. That's the way to be a gaming ambassador, you schmuck.

Car snobs. Hey, I drive a Ford Taurus right now. It has a 24-valve V6 Duratec engine under the hood and a crystal-clear sweet sound system that'll blow your ears out at a volume setting of 6 (and it's a "stock" system). It's incredibly safe and I drive about 4 miles a day to work round-trip. When you drive up next to me with your sports car or over-produced Escalade, you shouldn't actually assume you'll blow me off that line.

And I could go on...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Didn't you criticize me for liking "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World
    I'll confess, while I wasn't so high on "The Middle", I kind of like "Bleed American" and "Get It Faster".
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Journey rocks! And I'm not sorry.
    Right on Johnny.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    My favorite song in 1997 was "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls" by TLC.

I still get flack for it to this day. Probably because I force everyone I know to listen to it at my house when they come over. "This is one of the greatest R&B songs EVER!" usually accompanies it.

I also am a huge Hall and Oats fan. Girls love Hall and Oats.

I think most people like some of everything. It's just getting them to admit to what they listen to when nobody is around that is the hard part. I learn a ton about myself and my musical tastes when I go on a long road trip with someone. Singing along to "Shine Sweet Freedom" or something with a good friend is almost as priceless as life itself.
    right on to you too wheels. i like me some tlc and hall and oates.
    School's out. What did you expect?

My favorite song in 1997 was "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls" by TLC.
    That's one of the few songs that will make me cry.

I'm serious
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    That's one of the few songs that will make me cry.

I'm serious
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Car snobs. Hey, I drive a Ford Taurus right now. It has a 24-valve V6 Duratec engine under the hood and a crystal-clear sweet sound system that'll blow your ears out at a volume setting of 6 (and it's a "stock" system). It's incredibly safe and I drive about 4 miles a day to work round-trip. When you drive up next to me with your sports car or over-produced Escalade, you shouldn't actually assume you'll blow me off that line.
    There is almost an infinite variety of car snobs, including those who proudly proclaim that they don't drive and who look down their noses at all cars.
    I am fortunate enough to have a 1992 Corvette, which really isn't that expensive a car, but is a real blast to drive. Corvette guys can have some snobbery, but Porsche guys look down their noses at Corvette owners. I suppose that Ferrari owners look down their noses at Porsche fans (I don't know that for sure, as my circle of friends doesn't include any Ferrari fans).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

High five!

My Dad has a great line on all issues of taste:

"Its the kind of thing you like if you like that kind of thing."

Another effective device is when someone asserts their opinion, mentally prefix / suffix the words "to me" on their declarations.

For example:

"Chunky peanut-butter sucks (to me.)"

or

"(To me,) Damone is a loudmouth."

Singing along to "Shine Sweet Freedom" or something with a good friend is almost as priceless as life itself.
    LOVE that song. Let's hear it for 80s movie soundtracks.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I admit to having an eclectic musical taste.
    Working nights, I have burned many CDs to listen to (kinda like Molina's Boogie Nights character - think mixed tapes on disc).
    My coworkers are, purely and simple, country music fans. To them, my taste is laughable.
    A couple of nights ago, I had a track consisting of (in this order) The Clash, George Jones, Melt Banana, Run-DMC, Flying Burrito Brothers, L7, Sonic Youth, Pink Floyd, Wolfmother and the Rolling Stones.

Drove them freaking crazy.

BTW: Wise words, nate. Every time I start hearing the grief, I simply say I don't find country music that appealing. Seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    "(To me,) Damone is a loudmouth."
    Hey, you just don't know Damone.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    A lot of Classical performers would fall under this category, brilliant musicians performing for the most part something someone else wrote.
    Classical isn't really a fair comparison with pop music though, it exists in such a different sphere. Besides, with a few exceptions, people are more familiar with the composers and conducters of a piece than the musician(s) playing it. Most people would have scant trouble listing ten famous classical composers, but you'd be hard pressed to name one member of the London Philharmonic, the Boston Pops, the National Symphony, etc.

Jazz is another genre that has a great number of musicians playing a rather limited catalog of songs penned by "masters". And here, again, people are generally more familiar with the composers and band leaders than they are the individual musicians who play them.

I guess for me, I differentiate between an artist who is an entertainer (Britney Spears, Elvis) and an artist who is a musician/songwriter (the vast majority of my music collection). I like a few "entertainers", but my own musical tastes lean heavily towards those who write and/or perform their own music. It is more genuine to me. It doesn't mean there isn't room for entertainers in the artistic world, but more often than not they're just not my cup of tea.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I guess for me, I differentiate between an artist who is an entertainer (Britney Spears, Elvis) and an artist who is a musician/songwriter (the vast majority of my music collection). I like a few "entertainers", but my own musical tastes lean heavily towards those who write and/or perform their own music. It is more genuine to me. It doesn't mean there isn't room for entertainers in the artistic world, but more often than not they're just not my cup of tea.
    I agree. I have a greater appreciation for people who can write their own songs and play their own instruments than for "voices" who just sing something someone else wrote.

The absence of musical talent is one of the reasons I don't like rap.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hey, you just don't know Damone.
    Maybe they do know Damone pretty well.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 10-30-2007 at 04:58 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Johnny was the only one who loved the Sopranos ending.

Turn Off Ads?