Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overnight

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

Yes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

At 11:07pm, they are showing a live shot on the news, and there are still people inside paying their respects to Joe.

....To me, that's not surprising.

I'm sure Joe is looking down in amazement right now.....all he did was be himself.

and Joe's family have greeted every person that has come into pay their respects..That is awesome.. I also heard when Joe's body arrived at the high school the Reds players formed a precision for his casket to walk thru them like a honor guard.. that really touched my heart hearing that

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Didn't they retire a microphone for him along with Hoyt and Marty?

I forgot about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Baseball Almanac lists three different numbers for Joe. #43 during his debut with the Reds in 1944 and #39 every season afterwards except for the 1961. He wore #33 with the Royals.

An interesting historical note. Joe Nuxhall wasn't the only left hander to make his debut for the Reds on June 10, 1944. Jake Eisenhart faced two batters, walking one, in a third of an inning during the same game. He was released by the Reds fourteen days later and never pitched again. He was the ripe old age of 21 at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    There were several pictures of Joe wearing #41 while a Red. They looked to be taken in the 60's.
    I think Baseball Almanac is inaccurate in this case. As Team Clark said, there are several pictures of Joe from the 60's wearing #41.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I think Baseball Almanac is inaccurate in this case. As Team Clark said, there are several pictures of Joe from the 60's wearing #41.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    According to the 2007 Red's Media Guide, Joe shared #43 with Bill Lohrman in 1944. Joe wore #39 between '52-'60 and #41 between '62-'66. Tom Seaver was the next Reds player to wear #41 when he wore it during the seasons of '77-82. A hand full of players, and a couple of managers have worn it since. The latest being Jerry Narron.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I think the Reds will retire his number and hope they do. The specifics of which number would need to be figured out, but I think Joe's earned it with his dedication to the organization.

I doubt they'll ask Great American Insurance to step aside on the name of the park since that is a revenue stream (I know, it's the way things are), but maybe they could call it Nuxhall Field at GABP (a mouthful, I know).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I doubt they'll ask Great American Insurance to step aside on the name of the park since that is a revenue stream (I know, it's the way things are), but maybe they could call it Nuxhall Field at GABP (a mouthful, I know).
    Cast apparently said no, that its no feasible.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Jerry Dowling from today's City Beat

“In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

And Bill Peterson's column this week

Nuxhall Had a Way of Making You Feel Comfortable

By Bill Peterson

Even casual readers of this space know the author has made his fair share of errors, but one error in my career stands out as the funniest and most memorable.
    Ten years ago, I set out to do a piece about Reds equipment manager Bernie Stowe, one of those guys you find in baseball forever because he loves the habits just like you. Ask Bernie how he's doing as he sweeps dirt from the clubhouse carpet or carts filthy jock straps to the wash, and he'll tell you with a sage's grumpy irony that it's "another day in paradise."

As it happened, Stowe marked 50 years with the Reds in 1997 and I asked him to explain how it all started. It turns out that the man who gave Stowe his break as a kid on the West Side went by the name of Chesty Evans.

But by whatever perverse mechanisms of parapraxis that operated in my mind, the man's name didn't appear in the afternoon paper as Chesty Evans. No, it appeared as Chesty Morgan, infamous 30-odd years ago as a ridiculously endowed stripper.

"Chesty Morgan," Joe Nuxhall chuckled when he saw it. Then he just laughed himself red.

Yeah, that was worth it. Perhaps not an error of genius, but it's on the books as a harrowing embarrassment turned into good times thanks much to Nuxhall's amusement. And that kind of sums it up about the ol' lefthander.

If no one goes into the history books just for being a good guy to have around, that's still the most and the least that could be said about Joe Nuxhall.

Believe it or not, a lot of baseball people -- the players, the executives, the journalists -- are under a lot of stress. But Nuxhall was having none of that. Spend a couple minutes with Joe, and he'll slow it down for you.

Reds fans across the country valued that same communion with Nuxhall every evening on the radio. As years went by and announcers increasingly contrived to announce their own presence, it was enough for his presence to just be assumed. Knowing the game is best savored slowly and quietly, Nuxhall worked in that spirit.

Generations who understood why Jack Benny was funny could give the same reasons for valuing Nuxhall as a broadcaster. He realized, unconsciously, how to use silence as a weapon.

When you were driving back into town from Columbus or Lexington, rolled the radio dial over to 7 and heard nothing but dead air, you knew you found the Reds game, everything was alright and Joe would have something to say in a couple minutes.

Nuxhall was exactly who you thought he was. If you only knew him from listening to the Reds on the radio, you knew him. He was that guy. Not an act, not a front, not a professional performer, but that guy.

Nuxhall died from cancer on Nov. 15, age 79. The world became a different place that night. All who forged some connection with the Reds lost a friend, and none lost an enemy.

It isn't true that no one ever said anything bad about Nuxhall. Complaints about his sparse broadcasting style and mangling of names popped up as often as roadwork. But no one meant anything bad about him, nor could they.

The Nuxhall legend begins with an incongruity, for it seems he will live forever in the record books as the youngest player in major league history: 15 years, 10 months and 11 days, just a kid from Hamilton when he first pitched for the Reds against the St. Louis Cardinals on June 10, 1944, at Crosley Field. But if the legend will always be 15, the man was an old guy, in the good sense, before he was especially old.

Even going back to the mid-1980s, when Nuxhall hadn't turned 60, he took something of a grandfatherly approach to the world around him. He saw the humor in the dumb stunts people pulled and saw none of the outrage. If some episode made him laugh, the memory made him laugh, too. If some episode ticked him off a little, the memory might make him laugh as well.

Nuxhall was the kind of guy where, if he knew you were trying to quit smoking but you were feeming and approached him to bum a cigarette, he'd toss you his pack of heaters and cheerfully say, "Take all you want, Pete." Very comfortable guy. If you want a cigarette, it's up to you. Take all you want.

For 31 years, Nuxhall perfectly countered Marty Brennaman's excitable style with that slow rumble up from the bottom of his well, a voice taking its time on the way to a thought. The contrast ginned up a kind of magic, sort of an aural version of Laurel & Hardy with Brennaman as the thick one and Nuxhall as the thin one. Then they did the Kroger commercials on television and their physical types showed up in reverse.

Marty and Joe were a team, almost a perfect match. Though Brennaman lived in Anderson Township and Nuxhall lived in Fairfield, they fit each other so well that people sometimes were surprised to learn they didn't really visit Kroger together.

Sitting in the radio booth while Marty and Joe called a game summoned painfully dry laughs because you didn't want to bust up while they were on the air. But then they'd exchange looks of bewildered contempt as they deadpanned the call when some Reds slugger left a runner on third with one out after swinging at a 3-2 hook in the dirt. Then Joe says, with thinly concealed resignation, "So ... two out now ... and up comes ... Reggie Sanders."

Nuxhall perfected the life well lived by a Cincinnatian, he loved it and Cincinnatians loved him for it. He pitched for the local ball club, lived in the same house with the same wife for more than 50 years, threw left-handed BP into his sixties, rode shotgun on the team bus with a smoke and a beer in hand, saw nothing in celebrity except the opportunity to do numerous good works, remembered the old times with the old guys, shared the old times with the young guys and lived the great game almost from cradle to grave.

Simply, Joe Nuxhall was a good guy to have around. It doesn't sound like much.

Sounds can be deceiving. But not with Joe Nuxhall on the air.

URL for this story: http://citybeat.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A143005

The Baseball Bookstore

From Lonnie Wheeler's blog today

I, and others, have talked about Nuxie as the quintessential Cincinnatian, about how he embodied the city with his unembellished style, his unpretentious manner and his unremitting humility. And there's no backing away from that. Joe was us, squared. And loved.

But what I failed to take into account, until now, is the role he played as the city's ambassador. And not only through the radio. Through the Reds Caravan, the fantasy camps, his approachability at spring training, etc., Nuxhall was the organization's glad hand. And Cincinnati's, really.

Since the news of his passing arrived Friday, I've received Ol' Lefthander love letters from Atlanta, Miami, Columbus, West Virginia, Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Northern Ontario and who knows where else. It was poignant, also, that when the University of Cincinnati took a minute Saturday night to honor Joe at its game with West Virginia, the gold-shirted visiting fans also stood in unanimous applause. Nuxhall made our community literally larger.

On the day of his private funeral, we should realize that we're not the only ones who will miss him tremendously. We should realize that Joe was bigger than just us.

He made us proud to live in Nuxhall, Ohio.
    I missed this one from earlier

In response to the messengers who brought the news of Joe Nuxhall's passing, the best I can do is borrow the words of the Ol' Lefthander himself:

Get outta here! Get outta here!

Unfortunately, that doesn't change anything. The man who pitched to the Cardinals at 15 is now in league with a higher authority.

Where he's going, there's no need for a microphone. Nuxhall's halting and heavenly voice will always be with us.

And when the silence overwhelms . . . not to worry. That's just Joe's usual pause between pitches.

The Baseball Bookstore

Turn Off Ads?