Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overnight

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

A very tough way to start the day. Joe will be dearly missed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

Joe was the first Red that I met at the fantasy camp a few years back. He was walking up to the hotel and asked me where I was from and treated me like he had known me for years. My fondest memories are from when I was a youngster in our backyard, throwing a rubber ball against our house and listening to Joe call the Reds games with Jim McIntyre, Al Michaels, and Marty. He was the Reds to me. I will truly miss hearing him on the radio. The Reds will never be the same without him.

Very sad day for Reds baseball. It really is a shame that Joe wasn't inducted into the Hall of Fame before he passed away but hopefully it will happen this year. It would be a fitting tribute.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

RIP Joe.

Nobody ever loved the game more than you did.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Very sad day. I'll miss the ol' lefthander as he finally makes it home.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I just got up and I saw this. Sad. A truly good guy. He will be missed. Joe was a living legend.

Rem

I'm very saddened by this news. Like so many others, I grew up listening to Marty & Joe and will miss the unmatched enthusiasm he had for the Reds. My thoughts are with his family...may he rest in peace.

Certainly not a good way to start the day, to hear this sad news. Love and prayers to Joe's wife and family.

First time I remember hearing Joe on the radio was about 1971, when I became a fan of the Reds. This morning's news of his passing has brought a flood of memories. He will be sorely missed.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Joe was the soundtrack for my youth. He will be missed.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I just heard the sad news on ESPN radio. Joe was a big part of my baseball life. I grew up listening to him first with Al Michaels and then Marty. He was a class act all the way. He never degraded a ballplayer,umpire,front office people or the fans. He would be critical but in sort of a nice way that didn't anger anyone. Rest in peace and may your family be comforted during this time of sorrow. He left an indelible impression on thousands if not millions of Reds fans who will remember him forever. The Ole Lefthander is rounding third and heading to his final home.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

After meeting Joe at Twin Run in Hamilton in 1999, 3 things stay with me from that encounter.

1. Joe loves baseball and the Reds.
    2. Joe loves younger adults/kids.
    3. Joe raved about the hot dogs at the Twin Run concession stand.

In a 15-20 min chat while I was scoreboard watching, we talked about the Reds, my golf game, and at least 4 times he told me I was missing out if I didn't get a hot dog. One of the genuinely nice guys around, and a great ambassador for the Reds. RIP Joe. This Reds fan already misses you.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Godspeed Joe, and thank you for the wonderful memories. Love ya, you ol' left hander.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Nice article on Joe's passing from AP

http://stats.nypost.com/mlb/story.as...01&ref=hea&tm=
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Joe was the soundtrack for my youth. He will be missed.
    For the first 29 years of my life, I didn't think it was possible for anyone else to do Reds baseball on the radio.

I already miss him.

Rest in peace, Joe.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

A whole bunch of random thoughts about Nuxie this morning. I'm wearing my Reds t-shirt at work today in his honor. Very sad and I forwarded the news on to my kids this morning.

Nuxie started his broadcasting career when I was at the end of my 6th grade year. Typing this now, I realize he began that segment of his career a few weeks after my grandma died (my grandma who stayed with my uncle's family in Florida every winter and who would go up to Tampa while she was there - she taught me to be a Reds fan!). He broadcast until my oldest was out of college and was broadcasting still - so he's my childhood and my kids' childhood.

My younger daughter spent last winter's semester studying in Mexico. She wrote a blog while down there and we laughed when she wrote this:

and on sunday night, leah and kelly and i walked to the centro and went to a catholic church on the zócalo. it was a franciscan church and the priest´s preaching reminded me somewhat of the way joe nuxhall announced baseball (lots of long pauses, just long enough for you to forget someone was ever talking, and just short enough that you´re startled when he starts talking again).
    I just thought that was classic.

I'm a transportation consultant and started working for my dad while in college back in the spring of 1975. I remember being told back then that during the off-season, Nuxie worked as a salesman for the old Klug Direct Lines, a small trucking outfit based in Hamilton. Back then the players had to work in the offseason and it wasn't uncommon for ballplayers to have this sort of sales position. Back then, trucking rates were highly regulated and everyone more or less had the same rates. So a personality like Nuxhall got him in the door in places where the traffic manager ordinarily didn't want to be bothered.

I talked yesterday about how Nux rarely actually ever asked a question in his post-game shows. Frankly it was part of his charm.

Didn't you love a Red to hit a home run when Joe was in the booth, whether he was calling it himself or he was hollering in the back, "Get out of here, get out of here!".

This entry from Wikipedia recounts his first game.

On June 10, the Reds were playing the first place St. Louis Cardinals at Crosley Field and trailing 13-0 in the ninth inning when Manager Bill McKechnie called on Nuxhall to enter the game. He started well, retiring two of the first three batters he faced. But he was unable to get the third out of the inning, and ended up allowing five walks, two hits, one wild pitch and five runs before being relieved. He spent the rest of the 1944 season in the minor leagues.
    I recall Nux saying he looked over and saw Musial (who had won the MVP the year before) and realized what he was doing and that was all she wrote. I've emailed one columnist this morning who is from Missouri to suggest he find out Musial's reaction. Fifteen years old and pitching against the then 1st place team. Wow. And he came back.

The Reds scout, I heard, had actually come to see Nux's dad pitch, players being so scarce because of the war, and saw Joe pitch.

He lived to see a statue erected of himself and his signature saying plastered on the team's stadium. Hey, even his mother lived to see those things. Not bad for a boy from Hamilton.

I assume we'll see some Nuxhall patches on the uniforms this year.

Sad, sad day in all of Redsland.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?