Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overnight

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

A piece of my childhood is now gone.

It's amazing...I've lost grandparents before....but I can't stop crying with the loss of Joe.

Whatever that means, it's a sad day....but now he's home....he's healthy...and dammit...he's throwing out the first pitch on opening day!!!

Nobody was Reds baseball more than Joe Nuxhall.......and nobody will ever be more loved...

Thanks, Lefty!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

Matty, have they contacted Marty yet? I heard Thom say he was on a cruise somewhere and they didn't know if he knew yet. Its not the kind of news you want to come home to thats for sure.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

As far as I know, he's unavailable....based on location.

I think Joe will understand, I'm sure he's on the cruise as well

Very sad news indeed. I didn't get to hear his broadcasts, but I understand his legacy as a member of the Reds organization.

RIP.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I remember getting a Joe Nuxhall card in one of the first packages of baseball cards I ever had purchased for me in the late 1950's. My dad told me his story about him being the youngest player ever. Then, I remember my dad telling me sometime later that Nuxhall was going to Kansas City for (he believed) cash. I remember thinking, "Who's Cash and what position does he play?"

Later, I remember the spring training of 1967 and Gary Nolan was an 18 year old having a great spring. I was really rooting for him because he was only a few years older than me. I didn't realize that when he made the team it essentially spelled the end of Joe's pitching career. But, God closes one door and opens another because Joe stepped into the broadcast booth and the rest is history.

He will be missed, but he is going to a better place. My pastor honestly tells me he is confident there is baseball in Heaven. That's cool.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    As far as I know, he's unavailable....based on location.

I think Joe will understand, I'm sure he's on the cruise as well
    You can find people on a cruise, you just have to do some homework.

And, boy I hate this thought, but if Marty gets email on the boat, which is available, he'll know.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

RIP Joe, you'll be missed.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Marty is on the Reds cruise. Don't know if he's been notified yet though they did allude to it on the local news after the press conference. They also said many tokens of love have been laid at the feet of Joe's statue at the GAB.... one being a baseball on which is written "Rounding third and heading for heaven". So touching. Tonight, the ballpark will be dark with only two illuminations... his famous words on the outside of the building and a spotlight warming his statue.

This is such a sad day. I've read everyone's comments and sit here numbed by the remembrances. Such an awesome tribute you guys. When all is said and done, someone should print this thread and send it to Joe's family.

What a great man!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Marty was just on the news on 700 WLW with a quick quote from the cruise. He said something to the effect of "He was my friend, and now he's gone." He was near tears, never hear that much emotion out of Marty.

And this slide show is unbelievable. A bunch of pictures of Joe from throughout his life along with his greatest calls....

http://opera.cincinnati.com/Netcasts...EO02/71116005/

If you don't get a little misty eyed watching that you probably aren't human.

So many here echo my sentiments as Joe was an extension of some of the people we loved the most. The tears I shed today are for Nuxie, a wonderful human being.

I will no longer have back that moment on the patio with my Grandfather, Marty & Joe. And since my Grandfather has been gone for many years I will no longer be able to close my eyes, listen to Marty & Joe and drift away. But he will live on with many of us forever, as a loved one.

May his many loves be blessed as he was.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

This was mentioned in another thread but I will post it again here I can't think of a better tribute that all of us fans can pay to Joe than to try to get him elected to the hall of fame. If you go to this link and then click on launch frick award ballot and vote for Joe.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He wasn't a polished stone, but he was a gem.
    Perfectly said.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If anyone has the Play Ball CD by Blessid Union of Soul that came out when the GAB opened.... today, especially, you must listen to the song Me, Marty, Joe, Ted and Louise.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Well, I wrote Joe a letter with 2 baseball cards and sent it out on a Monday. On Friday I got my self addressed stamped envelope back with autographs included. He not only autographed my two cards but he included 2 others autographed as well as a postcard of himself (probably from back in his playing days - very old in black and white). On the back of the post card, he wrote "Thank you for the nice letter."

Man, what a guy....
    That might well be one of the Kahn's series they did back in the day; a little bigger than a postcard, but they were black and white and I don't think there was anything printed on the back.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?