Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Select SERGIO VALENZUELA!!!

Reds Select SERGIO VALENZUELA!!!

WHO IN THE CRAP CARES ABOUT THIS GUY?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...lenzuela.shtml

you are telling me cantu couldnt have fetched a player better than a 7 era guy in A ball?!

This is rediculous.. unless he throws 104 mph I want NOTHING to do with this rule 5..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Select SERGIO VALENZUELA!!!

Why even waste your time with him.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

at least he is only 23....

Here's his winter ball numbers. Nothing great there either.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Sergio%20Valenzuela&pos=P&sid=l132&t=p _pbp&pid=452168

Notice the last line on the page (Highlights??):

Went 3-4 with a 6.04 ERA in 50 2/3 innings for Danville Rookie League...allowed the third-most runs in the league.
    If those are the highlights, I'm more than scared.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

his hit to innings number almost got to a 1:1 ratio.. but his k/9 is still less than 6..

Only explanation I can see is that they think this guy has some potential and are pretty sure the Braves will be willing to make some deal. He's obviously not going to be pitching in Cinti. this year.

That's got to be it Hokie. I didn't think about them swinging a deal with the Braves. But there is no way this guy ends up on the 40-man all year.

This makes no sense at all. The only thing I can think of is that this was the AA or AAA phase of the Rule 5 draft.

"Winter ball pretty much finalized it for me," said J. Harrison, the Reds' director of pro scouting. "One of our good scouts out west got a chance to see him. I saw him in a trip over to Mexico as well. It was a bullpen-type deal and he caught my attention on some of the things he did with his delivery and his strength. He looked like a guy that was underdeveloped that had some room for growth."

Harrison later dispatched scout Rex De La Nuez to track Valenzuela as a starter in Mexican Winter League games. The Reds liked the pitcher's mid-90s fastball and above average changeup and think he has an average slider.

A mid 90s fastball and above average changeup. Two plus pitches plus a average slider might have convinced the Reds to take a chance on him.

I am not from Kansas but this pickup is bad so I hope FRONT OFFICE AND SCOUTS show me on this pitcher.

His stats as a starter are respectable, not great, but decent.
    If he can throw 95 with a solid change up, he's worth a shot, considering how shallow the Reds are in terms of starters.
    Minor League stats can be deceiving. Look at Johan Santana's stats when he was taken in the Rule 5. Not nearly as bad as Valenzuela's, but not impressive either.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    A mid 90s fastball and above average changeup. Two plus pitches plus a average slider might have convinced the Reds to take a chance on him.
    That's exactly what it was about. With Rule 5 picks it's usually more about potential than it is about numbers. The guy throws 95-95 and has a good changeup, and is young. The Reds feel like with some development, he has a certain amount of upside.

I like giving a kid like this a chance over keeping an undisciplined hitter who is poor in the field wherever he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    That's exactly what it was about. With Rule 5 picks it's usually more about potential than it is about numbers. The guy throws 95-95 and has a good changeup, and is young. The Reds feel like with some development, he has a certain amount of upside.

I like giving a kid like this a chance over keeping an undisciplined hitter who is poor in the field wherever he plays.
    To me its more about what we gave the Rays for Cantu...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Bingo. Perhaps they see something they can tweak or he's got a foundation they believe they can build upon.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    To me its more about what we gave the Rays for Cantu...
    Who knows what the reds can get from the marlins for Cantu, however. I heard they are interested after trading cabrera.

Turn Off Ads?