Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol 2008 Thread

Re: American Idol 2008 Thread

My fearless predictions after watching the males tonight...

Definitely will be in the Top 12 overall:

David Archuleta
    David Cook
    Jason Castro
    Michael Johns
    Robbie Carrico

Going home this week:

Jason Yeager
    Luke Menard
    Last edited by macro; 02-20-2008 at 12:29 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, Luke is definitely going and I think Jason is probably the other guy. I think Jason can really sing, but his style is all wrong, and his voice was all over the place last night. He was off pitch as much as he was on it.

But I also wouldn't be surprised is Garrett gets the boot. I'd like to see Colton get booted pretty soon, but I can already see him getting the Sanjaya vote with his bubbly, and what I find to be very annoying, naive persona. But he's heading int hat direction. The other guy I'd like to see gone is Chikese. There's few things worse on this show than performers who get a major arrogant attitude with the judges. His act has worn thin on me already in one show. Plus, he's not that good.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Whoever sang Moon River last night was terrible.

They need to put a moratorium on dedication songs.

Yeah, your grandma may have loved that tune, but it's going to get you bounced.

My patience is wearing thin with the show. The men were horrible last night.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Garrett gets the boot.
    He's so bad he could get a Sanjaya type following.

I know Josiah was a jerk, but he had better talent than at least 9 of these guys last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    My patience is wearing thin with the show. The men were horrible last night.
    No kidding. I was thoroughly underwhelmed last night.

(I agree with macro's list of top guys)

I didn't think they were so bad for the first night.

Every year, there are really only about 3-4 guys that can conceivably win. For the rest of them, its just a matter of not being the worst for that week and hoping to get better the next week.

Danny Noriega and Chikezie gave me a pain in the neck. Anyone that goes by one name is little too much. This isn't South American soccer.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I didn't think the guys were all that bad. Now, the girls, on the other hand were horrendous. Syesha was good, and I agreed with Simon about Carly. I didn't love it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think both the males and females had several really good singers. I'll have to agree with the show's hype and say that this may be the best Top 24 in the seven seasons.

Based on what we saw and heard last night, females certain to be in the Final 12:

Alaina Whitaker (Carrie Underwood lookalike from the same state)
    Amanda Overmyer (because she's so different, she'll have one segment of the votes to herself)
    Ramiele Mulabay
    Asia'h Epperson
    Syesha Mercado

Who I hope is sent packing TONIGHT: Kady Malloy (the Britney Spears impersonator who finished the show with a scowl on her face after they criticized her - what a BRAT)

Who I think will go home tonight:

Joanne Borgella
    Kristy Lee Cook

Syesha Mercado seems to be the early leader in my book. I agree that Joanne will go home tonight but I don't think Kristy Lee Cook will be the other. She has the name recognition that will carry her initially.

I didn't really like Amanda Overmyer. I know she is a different style but she enunciates very poorly and I can never tell the words she is singing. It was telling that Simon couldn't tell much difference between her skatting and singing.

Its only the first week and I can't bear to listen to Paula and Randy anymore. I enjoy the show but they are awful judges and usually incoherent in either their criticism or praise.

josh, I agree with you on the Cook girl, and sorta chose her by default. She's not unlike several of the others, and was the most underwhelming of that similar sub-group. I couldn't imagine any of the others being cut, so I picked her.

Randy is annoying, but at least he's sober. Paula has wasted no time in making a fool of herself, and my guess is that it will get worse. It's only a matter of time before she creates a major scene on the show. TV is about ratings, of course, and I guess she brings them in, kinda like a traffic accident gets attention.

Pretty much agree with macro's ratings....

As much as I hate to say it, I think Kady Malloy may be a contender. I thought her vocal was very good, but the judges hammered her for "not being herself". And then she acted like a total spoiled brat witch about it, made faces, etc etc and turned me off. But I'm sure she'll get counseled on that behavior.

Paula is a bit more incoherent this season. She used to at least shut up when she lost the thread of what she was saying, but now she just blathers on and constantly interrupts Simon (which I can't stand). Besides maybe a nugget or 2 from Randy, Simon is the only one that seems concise in his criticisms.

Something we saw with Jordan Sparks last year, the younger contestants have room to grow while the 20-somethings are pretty well developed. While a little awkward at the start, I think that will turn out to be an advantage for the young 'uns.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Pretty much agree with macro's ratings....

As much as I hate to say it, I think Kady Malloy may be a contender. I thought her vocal was very good, but the judges hammered her for "not being herself". And then she acted like a total spoiled brat witch about it, made faces, etc etc and turned me off. But I'm sure she'll get counseled on that behavior.
    The beginning and certain parts of her vocal were outstanding, and her talent will keep around provided the voting public doesn't get tired of her attitude. They may try to coach her to be more likable, but I'm not sure she can consistently hide who she is.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    The beginning and certain parts of her vocal were outstanding, and her talent will keep around provided the voting public doesn't get tired of her attitude. They may try to coach her to be more likable, but I'm not sure she can consistently hide who she is.
    You could very well be right about not being able to hide who she is.

For those who haven't seen it, Television Without Pity has hilariously snarky write-ups on some TV shows. May not be your cup of tea, but it is mine. I think about page 5 of the write-up on last nights show they describe Kady. I about fell out of my chair laughing.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...s/Girls-Top-24

Tonight is proof that the powers that be have a few people who they want to see move forward. I picked Michael Johns to win before Hollywood even started. I think they see a lot of potential for him as well. But his vocals were horrendous tonight..just dreadful. But the judges were afraid to criticize. He's going to be safe at thsi point no matter what, but in the interest of credibility, I can't believe he wasn't criticized for his vocals tonight.

Dude, luke Menard has got to go. That was painful. One of the worst ever on this show.

Ouch... 2 of the 3 judges actually liked it. Maybe I'm way off this year.

Turn Off Ads?