Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol 2008 Thread

Re: American Idol 2008 Thread

I love the song Superstar, but I thought Danny Noriega butchered it.

Boy, I'm just not at all happy with anything I've seen yet tonight.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

OK, so David Hernandez was good. That guy can really sing. He's a little boring and i don't think has the charisma to go too far in the show, but it was nice to hear a really good singer.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yeager was OK. I didn't hink he was as bad as the judges said he was. He sung the song pretty well, I thought, but he was too cheesy. But it was a bad choice.

I don't like Chikezie. Way too cocky! But he was good tonight.

David Cook was really good as well. I actually kind of like him.

David Archuleta annoys me. A lot. But i've got to admit, dude can sing. I could totally hear him on the radio.

AI PBP by MWM

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    AI PBP by MWM

I was bored tonight. Wife and kids away for the evening and the DVR was recording two things at the same time, so I had to watch live.

David Archuleta is ridiculous. I'm a singer myself, and what he's doing at his young age is nothing short of amazing IMO. I believe he could be the best male contestant the show has ever had, vocally anyways.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I was bored tonight. Wife and kids away for the evening and the DVR was recording two things at the same time, so I had to watch live.
    Maybe it's time for 2 DVRs ...

Last week in this space I picked Jason Yeager and Luke Menard to go home. I was wrong. I am picking them again this week. Both are on borrowed time........I think.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I made the mistake of watching tonight with my wife - how about 8 awful singers and 2 good ones.

This may be the week where I stop watching for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I made the mistake of watching tonight with my wife - how about 8 awful singers and 2 good ones.

This may be the week where I stop watching for the rest of the season.
    I'm not going to stop watching, but wow, these guys are terrible. Except for David Archuleta. He's great. He's far and away the best male.

I'm hoping the women aren't too bad tonight. So far, it's a forgettable year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Yeah, last night was pretty awful I thought. Which kinda surprised me. They guys had been pretty decent the week before.

Judging from the songs they picked, evidently there weren't many good vocalist songs from the '70's.

I think David Archuleta is a phenomenal talent. My only worry is that he is peaking too early and his aw-shucks attitude will wear thin.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

You know, that Archuleta kid made the whole night worth watching.

As a viewer of the show, I have been absolutely frustrated by most contestants lack of understanding of the whole "make a song your own" thing.

MWM- feel free to dice my opinion up here, but for me, it's not that hard to make a song your own.

You add some melody, you sing a run just slightly different. You make a fast song slow, you make a hard song soft, or vice versa. Do something to make a familiar song heard differently. A professional example of this was how Rod Stewart took Tom Wait's "Downtrain Train" or Robbie Robertson's "Broken Arrow" and transformed them into his own. He improved the melody.

You don't just go up there and sing a Whitney Houston song exactly note for note, you are going to fail by comparison.

What that kid did last night with Lennon's "Imagine," was nothing short of amazing, and all he did was change some runs and add some melody.

The vocals were terrific as well, but his arrangement made that song his, and how all of these contestants year after year can't get that is dumbfounding.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    MWM- feel free to dice my opinion up here, but for me, it's not that hard to make a song your own.
    I think it's very difficult to "make the song your own," especially when you're singing a classic song with a definitive version.

I mean, when you think of "Jump" do you remember Van Halen or Aztec Camera?

You add some melody, you sing a run just slightly different. You make a fast song slow, you make a hard song soft, or vice versa. Do something to make a familiar song heard differently. A professional example of this was how Rod Stewart took Tom Wait's "Downtrain Train" or Robbie Robertson's "Broken Arrow" and transformed them into his own. He improved the melody.
    I don't think it's as easy as following a formula of adding notes, singing different runs, etc. Actually, those things are simply tactics as opposed to the strategy of making the song your own. The strategy being, "this is who I am and how I sing, I'm going to make this song fit me rather than me fit the song."

You don't just go up there and sing a Whitney Houston song exactly note for note, you are going to fail by comparison.
    Yes.

What that kid did last night with Lennon's "Imagine," was nothing short of amazing, and all he did was change some runs and add some melody.
    I would say that he was the best of the night and he's the one to beat in the competition and that he's going to be very popular. There were really only two other guys who were simply "OK" and the rest had pretty bad nights.

The vocals were terrific as well, but his arrangement made that song his, and how all of these contestants year after year can't get that is dumbfounding.
    He has very mature control and poise for being so young, the best intonation of the night and the most stage presence. I think he'll at least be in the top 3.

I agree with you, Dom. That's all the more reason I was so disappointed with Michael Johns last night. I've been a fans of his all along, but he was terrible last night. He was off pitch most of the song, and had to strain to hit any note outside of his primary middle range. He did a lot of shouting as well. And after all of that, he did nothing to personalize the song to him.

I agree on Archuleta as well. I'll have to get past the "aw schucks" annoyance to recognize a supremely talented individual. He's got a bright future. The difference between him and Melinda from last year is that his surprise and aw shucks seems more genuine. Melinda was fake about it. She knew she was good, but pretended to act schocked that people liked her. Archuleta seems genuinely (up to this point) thrilled that he's being received so well.

Turn Off Ads?