Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Another Top 100 List

Another Top 100 List

Kevin Goldstein of BaseballProspectus realeased his overall Top 100 today:
    http://baseballprospectus.com/articl...articleid=7092

Unlike Keith Law's list, Bruce checks in at #1, while Bailey is #9, Votto is #21, and Cueto is #41...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Another Top 100 List

Not as many 'what the heck' selections, but still a few concerns about this list. I haven't gone all the way through it yet checking it as much as Law's (although his was much easier to take down, it was that bad), but a few guys seem out of place.... mainly Cueto, Scharfer and Desmond Jennings jumped out to me real quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not as many 'what the heck' selections, but still a few concerns about this list. I haven't gone all the way through it yet checking it as much as Law's (although his was much easier to take down, it was that bad), but a few guys seem out of place.... mainly Cueto, Scharfer and Desmond Jennings jumped out to me real quickly.
    Is Schaefer too high?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Is Schaefer too high?
    I would say so. He isn't nearly that high on my list, nor on at least one of the other guys I am working with on a prospect list.

Solid list but I think Cueto should be higher (somewhere between 25 and 32).

Where would you put Jennings? I hadn't even heard of the guy before I checked Keith Law's and Goldstein's list.

Jennings was my #33 guy.

doug, where do you personally have Bailey, Cueto and Votto on your list? Also, anybody like Frazier, Stubbs, or Mesoraco making the top 100 or 150?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    doug, where do you personally have Bailey, Cueto and Votto on your list? Also, anybody like Frazier, Stubbs, or Mesoraco making the top 100 or 150?
    Here is my top 25
    1. Jay Bruce
    2. Colby Rasmus
    3. Evan Longoria
    4. Clay Buchholz
    5. Homer Bailey
    6. Joba Chamberlain
    7. Clayton Kershaw
    8. David Price
    9. Andy LaRoche
    10. Jacob McGee
    11. Cameron Maybin
    12. Travis Snider
    13. Johnny Cueto
    14. Matt Wieters
    15. Reid Brignac
    16. Andrew McCutchen
    17. Joey Votto
    18. Brandon Wood
    19. Daric Barton
    20. Mike Moustakas
    21. Gio Gonzalez
    22. Ian Kennedy
    23. Wade Davis
    24. Rick Porcello
    25. Jacoby Ellsbury

Frazier and Stubbs both are in the 80-100 range, while Mesoraco is between 100-150. Despite my ranking of Travis Wood higher than Mesoraco when I came out with my Reds Top 40 prospect list, I have since flopped the two in my own little ranking in my head.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 01-31-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Here is my top 25
    1. Jay Bruce
    2. Colby Rasmus
    3. Evan Longoria
    4. Clay Buchholz
    5. Homer Bailey
    6. Joba Chamberlain
    7. Clayton Kershaw
    8. David Price
    9. Andy LaRoche
    10. Jacob McGee
    11. Cameron Maybin
    12. Travis Snider
    13. Johnny Cueto
    14. Matt Wieters
    15. Reid Brignac
    16. Andrew McCutchen
    17. Joey Votto
    18. Brandon Wood
    19. Daric Barton
    20. Mike Moustakas
    21. Gio Gonzalez
    22. Ian Kennedy
    23. Wade Davis
    24. Rick Porcello
    25. Jacoby Ellsbury

Frazier and Stubbs both are in the 80-100 range, while Mesoraco is between 100-150. Despite my ranking of Travis Wood higher than Mesoraco when I came out with my Reds Top 40 prospect list, I have since flopped the two in my own little ranking in my head. Also, where is Clay Buchholz? I think he's the best out of all four.
    I agree with you on most things, but there are several things on this list that I disagree with. Just to name a few: I love Bailey, but Clayton Kershaw is better prospect because he has more consistency and control than Bailey. Also, I think you put Joba in front of Bailey right now because he's shown he has what it takes to stay in the majors.
    Last edited by AdamDunn; 02-01-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: missed something

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    I agree with you on most things, but there are several things on this list that I disagree with. Just to name a few: I love Bailey, but Clayton Kershaw is better prospect because he has more consistency and control than Bailey. Also, I think you put Joba in front of Bailey right now because he's shown he has what it takes to stay in the majors.
    Kershaw is still pretty rough around the edges. He also has control problems (much larger than Bailey at that). He has electric stuff, but to say he has better command than Bailey is deceiving. As for Joba, he has shown that ability to be successful coming out of the bullpen in the majors. As a starter, he has half as many starts above High A as Johnny Cueto.

Doug, when I looked at another list it said the highest level Porcello pitched at was High School ball. I find it confusing to see him ranked high on most lists when he has never faced a professional batter.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Doug, when I looked at another list it said the highest level Porcello pitched at was High School ball. I find it confusing to see him ranked high on most lists when he has never faced a professional batter.
    Generally I agree with that idea. Not this time though.

Here is a scouting report on him:
    http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...sp?mc=porcello
    Code:
    Focus Area

Comments
    Fastball:	Porcello ran his fastball up to 96 mph and was throwing 94-95 mph very comfortably.
    FB Movement:	Porcello showed good movement with his two-seamer and his four-seamer was simply overpowering. The ball was jumping out of his hand.
    Curve:	Porcello threw his curve in the low 70s.
    Slider:	His slider sat at around 80 mph.
    Changeup:	Porcello threw a change in the 80 mph range and it was a much-improved pitch from last summer.
    Control:	Porcello's command and control were a bit of a concern over the summer, but he began to answer those questions with outstanding command in this outing.
    Poise:	Porcello was never really challenged in this game, but he showed excellent poise on the mound.
    Physical Description:	Porcello is a tall, lanky and projectable right-hander with an easy, smooth delivery.
    Medical Update:	Healthy.
    Strengths:	Where do you start? He's got four pitches, especially if the changeup continues to improve, with a plus, plus fastball, great command and terrific mechanics.
    Weaknesses:	Command of his breaking pitchers hasn't always been there in the past, though it was not an issue in this outing. Pitching in the Northeast, he doesn't get to pitch during the season as much as his colleagues in southern California or Florida.
    Summary:	There are several interesting arms in the Northeast this year and Porcello belongs at the top of that list. With an oustanding fastball and the possibility of three other above-average to average offerings, he could very well find himself one of the top high school pitchers taken in June.
    One scout in particular that I talk to seemingly loves this kid. When he talks about him he gets excited.

I see a tall right hander with a frame that can easily take on more weight, is already throwing a plus fastball in the 93-96 range and can go higher every now and again. He also brings a good slider and a good curveball to the table. He doesn't control them the best yet, but there aren't questions about why he couldn't in the future. He also has a change up, that currently lacks behind his other pitches, but it does have its upside.

In the end, some people may be overrating him a little bit, but as a high school pitcher he just got 7 million dollars as part of a major league contract.... he is obviously on a different level than most high school arms coming out of the draft.

Turn Off Ads?