Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballparks

Ballparks

I was just curious to how many different parks everyone has been to and what your favorite was? Me and some buddies are going to the new one in DC this summer, as well as Toronto, Baltimore, and Detroit.

Ive been to:
    Cincinnati (old and new of course)
    Cleveland
    Detroit
    Chicago (Wrigley and US Cellular multiple times)
    St. Louis (old and new)
    Kansas City (4x)
    Pittsburgh (2x)
    Boston
    New York (Yankees)
    San Fransisco

AT&T Park was by far the most amazing. The view of the bay in the background is just incredible. Fenway is the best place to go for a game hands down because of the atmosphere. Pittsburgh and Detroit's were impressive as well.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ballparks

Cincinnati (old)
    The Vet
    Citizens Bank
    Yankee Stadium
    Camden Yards
    Kaufman Stadium
    Wrigley Filed
    Turner Field
    Fenway Park

Cincinnati (old and new)
    Wrigley
    US Cellular
    Detroit (new)
    Milwaukee (new)
    Fenway
    San Diego (new)
    LA (Angels)
    San Francisco
    Minnesota

cincinnati (all three)

Monger

Baltimore - Camden Yards
    Cincinnati - GABP
    Montreal - Olympic Stadium RIP
    New York Mets - Shea
    Philadelphia - Citizens
    Chicaco Cubs _ Wrigley
    Chicago White Sox - Cellular Field
    Milwaukee - Miller Park
    Minnesota - Metrodome
    Kansas City - Kaufman
    St Louis - Old Busch Stadium
    San Diego - old Qualcomm & new Petco)
    Washington - RFK
    Houston - minute maid
    Texas - ballpark at arlington
    And I live in Boston, so I have seen dozens of games at Fenway

This summer, I will add Yankee Stadium and both LA parks to my list.

Highlights and Lowlights:

High: Nothing compares to seeing a game at fenway or wrigley. its a wholly different baseball experience that transcends the park. The cubs could be 30 games out of 1st, but its still enjoyable to see a day game at wrigley. I know people hate red sox fans, sometimes i hate them too, but fenway is wonderful.

Among the new parks, my two favorites are Philly and Milwaukee. The clamshell roof at Miller is an incredible site. The park feels as tall as a sckyscraper. Concourses are nice and wide and the real life sausage races are one of a kind. Citizens is a just a great park. Food selections are the best of all parks on my list; they do a wonderful job of displaying the history of the franchise; and being able to peer down into the bullpens is just great.

KC gets honorable mention - it isnt new, but it is surprisingly pretty, very accessible and the food is great.

Low: Shea is a dump, but it will be gone in a year. Same with RFK. Cellular Field is laid out very poorly. the concourses are nearly as narrow as wrigley field or fenway and it seems like you have to ride up 17 escalators just to reach field level - terrible.

I reserve my bottom ranking for Minute Maid park. Houston is a lot of fun to visit (loved staying near the galleria) but thepark infuriated me for numerous reasons

1) They only open 60 minutes before first pitch -not one minute early. jerks

2) at the concessions stand, i somehow had a plain hot dog in the container used for a chili dog. This ground the entire line to a halt as they insisted they i change containers - i told them i didnt want to switch, i just wanted to pay. they told me that i would have to pay the price for a chili dog. Even a supervisor insisted that they charge by the container not the product sold. jerk offs.

3) I had a ticket for the 25th row of section 125. it was a weeknight game and the last 10 rows or so of each field section were EMPTY. I left my section and moved on section closer to home plate (section 124) and sat in the LAST row (35) in order to get a better angle. Security kicked me out. I showed them my ticket to prove i didnt pay for a bleacher seat. They didnt care. f*&*ing jerk offs

4) Finally, my pet peeve about the park is that that it is box that is closed on 3 sides and a huge bank of windows on the 4th side. So what direction do the chose for the 4th side? WEST. Facing the setting sun. This means that each and every night game all summer has a nice solid hour where the setting sun burns the retinas off of anyone who is stupid enough to buy a ticket on the entire 1st base side of the ballpark. Great design choice guys. well done. really. Im still seeing spots.
    Reds fan in Red Sox Country

Sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds

I really like Kaufman too, something about it just makes it very enjoyable. Always has some good experiences there = Did the hat shuffle on the jumbo tron (won 4 free tickets) and met Tony Gwynn in one night.

I've heard the Jac is the same as how Minute Maid sounds. I didn't have any problems there but I've had friends tell some less than flattering stories of the place.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Cincinnati - 3 - Crosley, Riverfront, Great American
    Cleveland - 1 - The Jake
    Atlanta - 2 - Fulton Co., Turner Field
    Tampa Bay - 1 - Tropicana Field
    Chicago - 2 - Wrigley, US Cellular Field
    Milwaukee - 2 - County Stadium, Miller Park
    St Louis - 1 - Busch Stadium 1 (planning trip this summer to 2)
    Arlington - 1 - Arlington Staduim
    Kansas City - 1 - Kaufman Field
    Denver - 1 - Coors Field
    Los Angeles - 1 - Dodger Stadium
    Anaheim - 1 - Anaheim Stadium & Edison International Field
    San Francisco - 1 - PacBell
    Detroit (planning trip this summer)

18 parks, 2 new ones this summer

Old Red Guard Reject

Cincinnati (old and new)
    Cleveland (old and new)
    Detroit (old)
    Camden Yards
    Minnesota
    Florida
    Colorado

Highs:
    I was pretty impressed with Coors Field. Very nice scoreboard/video display. Had absolutely great seats for a $10 promo with a bag of peanuts. Probably equal to GABP's Section 113 or so.
    I enjoyed the old Tiger Stadium just for the history and the old park feel.
    My wife's favorite is the Metrodome. (I know.....what the heck???) She loved the concept of 72 degrees and never any rain, bugs, etc.

Low:

Florida - It's nice to read the Dolphins Hall of Famers names during the game along with the 900 or so other people there. It also seemed like it was out in the middle of nowhere.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I haven't been to many.

Cincinnati (Riverfront/Cinergy Field and Great American Ball Park)
    Houston (The Astrodome, I was young and barely remember it)
    Pittsburgh (Three Rivers Stadium)
    Cleveland (Cleveland Municipal Stadium and Jacobs Field)

I was at the Jake when the Indians were kicking ass in the 90s, it was a fun atmosphere. Loved the dude in CF cheap seats banging the drum.

I waited in line at Fenway once for tickets but got shut out. I couldn't afford the scalper prices.

buffett0326

Cincinnati (Riverfront and Great American)
    Cleveland
    Milwaukee
    Chicago (Wrigley and US Cell)
    St. Louis (Old)
    Pittsburgh (Old and New)
    Miami (Marlins)
    Denver (Coors)
    Baltimore (Camden Yards)
    San Fransisco (AT&T)
    L.A. (Dodger Stadium and Edison Field)
    Washington (RFK)
    San Diego (Petco)
    Detroit (New)

My favorite is Petco Park in San Diego
    My least favorite was Joe Robby or whatever it is now called in Miami I have seen a larger crowd at Reds BP.

watched games at: cincy (cinergy and gab)
    wrigley field
    skydome
    chase field

toured (but no ball game): petco park (loved it!!!!!)
    3-2 at games this year
    5-9 all time

2010 central division champions

Cincy (Riverfront/GABP)
    Cleveland (The Jake)
    Old Tiger Stadium
    Sky Dome
    Turner Field
    Fenway Park

My list is short:

Cinergy/Riverfront and GAPB
    The Jake
    PNC Park

I know I haven't been to many, but I feel like PNC has to be one of the best parks in baseball. From Southeastern Ohio it is only about a two-hour ride and the ticket prices are good. Nice affordable restaurants all around the park "Firewaters" is a really nice one just beyond the left field gate. Still, nothing compares to cheering on the home team on Opening Day in Cincinnati.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

St. Louis (old)
    Cincinnati (Riverfront/Cinergy and GABP)

Great American Ball Park has been the best experience for me, I really love the place.

Cincinnati - GABP and Riverfront
    DC - RFK

I was in Washington for couple days and decided to take in a ballgame. The Nationals were playing the Cubs.
    RFK is a dump. Wasn't an enjoyable experience at all. The place was riddled with Cub fans. :thumbdown

Turn Off Ads?