Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Closed Game Thread

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Closed Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Here's a weird, off the wall idea that I recommend not using: What if the forums automatically counted how many characters a person used, and at the end of the year, it would calculate a 'recommended donation' to help cover the expenses? I'm really curious as to how much it costs to cover my posts as opposed to someone who makes only three posts a year.
    Posting uses disk space and bandwidth, but loading a page to read it uses much more bandwidth than posting does. Both disk space and bandwidth cost money.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Or maybe the site could charge a "Game Thread" Fee; for a nominal amount a person not in ORG could get to post in the game threads.
    My fear of that would be that some (notice I said "some", not "all") would feel that their donation would buy them the privilege of saying whatever they want to whomever they want in a game thread. A sort of "paying customer" mentality might develop.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    My fear of that would be that some (notice I said "some", not "all") would feel that their donation would buy them the privilege of saying whatever they want to whomever they want in a game thread. A sort of "paying customer" mentality might develop.
    From what I have saw ORG isnt all that harshly moderated anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    From what I have saw ORG isnt all that harshly moderated anyways.
    It's a fine line.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves. Game threads are not the bastion of high quality and insightfull posts. 38 pages of "whoo whoo" and "why did he drop that ball" and "home run!!!!!!!!!!" or "Dusty makes me want to rip my hair out" gives no indication whatsoever of a posters ability to contribute to the discussion.

Thats true but limiting the posters to the elite few(and the best rarely post) keeps the vast majority of redszone from posting at all

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    It's a fine line.
    Im just saying I notice they get away with lots of rough language while some people get punished harshly for it. Thats just me making observations though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Im just saying I notice they get away with lots of rough language while some people get punished harshly for it. Thats just me making observations though.
    ..and that's why there's a Post Report button.

Use it. Unless we're out with our girlfriends. (but don't tell my wife!)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Ive already gotten into trouble for "over using" the post report button. So I dont waste my time with drawing unwanted attention to myself.

Between my job and my girlfriend, there isn't much time left in the week to check for bad posts. So have a little patience please.

Boss doesn't pay me enough to monitor this place 24/7.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves. Game threads are not the bastion of high quality and insightfull posts. 38 pages of "whoo whoo" and "why did he drop that ball" and "home run!!!!!!!!!!" or "Dusty makes me want to rip my hair out" gives no indication whatsoever of a posters ability to contribute to the discussion.
    I guess I'm easily amused or just "simple," but I never minded a little enthusiasm or emotion. Sometimes I just like to rant and see if other feel the same way. A little "group therapy" has been necessary the last few seasons.

Here's an idea....designate some Sun Deck Moderators for the game threads and see if the folks there can keep it proper. Let the ORG people post on the threads as well if they want. Thus, if you gain ORG membership you have the advantage of posting at either place. Since most posters in the Sun Deck are just interested in talking about the game, let the little pet peeves of many on ORG (e.g. "whoo whoo" or "Dusty sucks" etc. ) slide and make the threads "anything goes" except extreme profanity or personal attacks. Just normal Reds talk like you'd hear at the bar or at the game.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Between my job and my girlfriend, there isn't much time left in the week to check for bad posts. So have a little patience please.

Boss doesn't pay me enough to monitor this place 24/7.
    I suggest you get your priorities right, Paint. Let's see, you have to eat so you can't just quit your job, which leaves the girlfriend. Tell her we're sorry and that it's not her.
    It's us.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    I guess I'm easily amused or just "simple," but I never minded a little enthusiasm or emotion. Sometimes I just like to rant and see if other feel the same way. A little "group therapy" has been necessary the last few seasons.

Here's an idea....designate some Sun Deck Moderators for the game threads and see if the folks there can keep it proper. Let the ORG people post on the threads as well if they want. Thus, if you gain ORG membership you have the advantage of posting at either place. Since most posters in the Sun Deck are just interested in talking about the game, let the little pet peeves of many on ORG (e.g. "whoo whoo" or "Dusty sucks" etc. ) slide and make the threads "anything goes" except extreme profanity or personal attacks. Just normal Reds talk like you'd hear at the bar or at the game.
    In my experience, nobody likes heavy moderating.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?