Re: 3/9/08 vs Deviless Rays

Tomorrow:

Bailey vs Chamberlin...on TV!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Tomorrow:

Bailey vs Chamberlin...on TV!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    We were assured all winter that Belisle was going to be fine this year due to FIP, DIPS and every other metric under the sun.

Don't worry. All is well.

I'd base his likely season more on FIP, DIPS etc. rather than a few meaningless spring training innngs. Especially when his ERA this spring is 3.86.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

nm

Fogg looking....Foggy...but limits the damage.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 03-09-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Belisle won't be in contention for any Cy Youngs anytime soon, but give me the guy who can actually miss a bat or six, and doesn't walk way too many guys. If you're unhappy with Belisle, then Josh Fogg ought to make you wanna until the cows come home.

Also, I think too much is being made out of Belisle's ST thus far. This is a guy who's spot in the rotation is all but etched in stone, and I gotta believe he's using this as a tune-up in preparation for the season - as he should. Keep in mind Harang got lit up last year in ST, and has gotten knocked around already this year. But I have full confidence once the season starts he'll bring his A game, and the same goes for Belisle.
    I agree, nice post Screwball.

Some of these guys are just parroting the radio broadcast.

In a perfect world, a guy like Belisle would be auditioning for the 5th spot; unfortunately, this is the Reds, who deemed improving the rotation unimportant. Therefore, Belisle's a lock to make the rotation. I'm fine with that. But the Reds needed better.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

We're really getting upset about ST games?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    We're really getting upset about ST games?
    Like pitchers getting their work in and getting stretched out, the fans are doing the same
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 03-09-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Daryl Thompson in...he of course, part of the Lopez/Kearns dud.

Belisle is a really solid back of the order option. He's sort of the anti-Lohse if you will. He's rarely going to dominante, if ever. But he also rarely implodes. What killed him in 2007 was his inability to get through his final inning, which meant turnover over runners to a horrific bullpen, which inflated his ERA.

If either Fogg or Affeldt are in the rotation and Belisle isn't, I'll be disappointed. He's no #3, but he'd be among the best back end guys in baseball. I hope he doesn't get penalized for what he isn't. I also hope 20-30 ST innings don't take precedence over the body of his 2007 work.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-09-2008 at 03:17 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Belisle is a really solid back of the order option. He's sort of the anti-Lohse if you will. He's rarely going to dominante, if ever. But he also rarely implodes. What killed him in 2007 was his inability to get through his final inning, which meant turnover over runners to a horrific bullpen, which inflated his ERA.

If either Fogg or Affeldt are in the rotation and Belisle isn't, I'll be disappointed. He's no #3, but he'd be among the best back end guys in baseball. I hope he doesn't get penalized for what he isn't.
    Belisle is fine as a back end option. So is Fogg. So is Affeldt. The problem is that those 3 have the potential to be the 3-5 part of the rotation.

Looking at each guy to fulfill the same slot in the rotation and saying that they are fine as that role just doesn't make any sense.

Nice inning for Thompson. Strikes out the side.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

If either Fogg or Affeldt are in the rotation and Belisle isn't, I'll be disappointed. He's no #3, but he'd be among the best back end guys in baseball. I hope he doesn't get penalized for what he isn't.
    I think it's abundantly obvious that Affeldt and Fogg are worse options than Belisle, but what I don't think is obvious (to most) is that for the Reds to be a good team, they can't rely on a guy like Belisle being their third best starter.

I can't count how many times I saw "I think the rotation will be deep" this offseason. Oh, who am I kidding? Every offseason since this site was created I've seen that.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

A win today with a Brewers loss..and the Reds are in first place... :

Turn Off Ads?