Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gonelong's 7th annual Season W/L prediction thread ...

Re: Gonelong's 7th annual Season W/L prediction thread ...

77 wins

2. Turn Off Ads?

Volquez steps up and gives the team a legit number 2. Harang and Arroyo provide more of the same. Cueto struggles from time to time but still ok at number 4 and provides reason to believe he'll be better in 2009. Number 5 is a revolving door, but overall the starting pitching is above average. The offense gets a boost from Votto. Patterson is better than expected. The Middle IF suffers a drop-off from 2007, but Keppinger plays enough to provide a boost. Dunn hits 50 bombs and is more mobile in the field. Griffey declines a bit and looks even worse on defense. Jay Bruce is blocked and spends much of the year in AAA. EdE settles in as an average 3B. The catching situation is horrible. The Bullpen prevents this team from getting to the play-offs. Stanton proves last year wasn't an anomoly. Weathers declines sharply. Burton and Bray move from prospects to suspects. Coffey rebounds a bit. Roenicke and Viola arrive too late. Cordero is good, but too often leads disappear prior to him getting in the game. They finish above .500 and feel like a team on the rise.

84 Wins.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

For a Level Playing Field

75 wins. Hope I am wrong.

This rotation is improved vastly over what we've been seeing, IMO. The young guys keep them in it until September, but may not have the experience or stamina to get over the hump. Still, I think they win more than lose.

Put me down for 83 wins.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

82 wins.

The Reds struggle out of the gate with the platoon of Hopper and Patterson not working in center, and with the likes of Stanton getting banged around in the bullpen. The Reds come to their senses, promote Jay Bruce and Josh Roenicke amongst others, Volquez and Cueto become more consistent during the second half of the year, and the Reds use a blazing second half of the season to finish over .500 and give a good glimpse of what's to come in 2009.

Cruisin' for trouble

85 wins. Sets them up nicely for a move in 2009.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Even if all the questionable stuff you mentioned goes well, if Harang or Dunn were to get hurt or Phillips and Edwin don't do well, not to mention Griffey who you just can't count on at this point, they could have a lot of problems.
    The Reds are cooked if Harang, Arroyo, Dunn, or Griffey miss games. But, in fairness, there aren't a lot of mid-market teams that have the depth to replace top-talent that goes on the shelf.

The other point you raise about Phillips and Edwin is also worth repeating -- if those two don't find a way to hit LHP better, its going to be a long season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

83 wins.

First time I've projected a better than .500 record since 2000.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

78 The Reds will have basically three rookies in the rotation for most of the season and that will keep the win total under the 500 mark. But they along with Bruce and Votto will give the Reds a boost into a very good 2009 season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

84 wins
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

77 wins
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

84 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    77 wins
    Is this before or after Siena smoked the 'Dores??

Put me down for 85. It may win the division.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

85 wins. First time I've been optimistic about the team since 2000.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?