Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks at Reds - 4/2/2008

Re: 4/2/2008 - D'backs at Reds

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Why do they want Valentin to catch Cueto, Valentin has less fundamentals behind that plate then I do.
    They want Valentin to catch Cueto for language reasons. Cueto does not speak much english so they are relying on Valentin to communicate with Cueto.

2. Turn Off Ads?

if I'm not mistaken, this is the first game that Reds' draftee Bako has ever played for the major league team.

he first came up through system when we had decent catchers...

Re: 4/2/2008 - Phils at Reds

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    They really shouldn't want Valentin to catch anyone.

But they really shouldn't want Bako to hit against anyone either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Why do they want Valentin to catch Cueto, Valentin has less fundamentals behind that plate then I do.
    Porque ellos hablan la lengua misma.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Votto and Hatteberg are going to split time until Votto eventually claims the job. People have made too big of a deal of that entire situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Porque ellos hablan la lengua misma.
    Come again? You know I don't speak Spanish. In English, please. What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? I'm not even mad, that's amazing.

IMO, the whole language thing is overblown. Just let EE come to the mound for any visits etc. etc. and serve as interpreter if it is the best move for the ballclub to have catcher A versus catcher B. If I was a pitcher, I'd imagine knowing Valentin was back there would make me much more uncomfortable than any language barriers that could be hurdled fairly easily anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    not sure there Haren is any easier than Webb. The Reds made it easy on Webb by chasing a lot of pitches out of the strike zone.
    Easy really isn't the best term to use - the Reds chased so many balls out of the strike zone simply because Webb has sick movement.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    IMO, the whole language thing is overblown. Just let EE come to the mound for any visits etc. etc. and serve as interpreter if it is the best move for the ballclub to have catcher A versus catcher B. If I was a pitcher, I'd imagine knowing Valentin was back there would make me much more uncomfortable than any language barriers that could be hurdled fairly easily anyway.
    My biggest fear about the language problems is they will use it as an excuse to put Castro in the lineup. I noticed in spring training a lot of times it was Valentin and Castro talking to Cueto. No amount of language problems is worth putting Castro in the lineup.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    if I'm not mistaken, this is the first game that Reds' draftee Bako has ever played for the major league team.

he first came up through system when we had decent catchers...
    I'm trying the remember the name of the other prospect catcher the Reds had back in '97-'98 who came up "alongside" Bako...any ideas? (IIRC neither of them made it to the ML with Cincy)

(Before LaRue and Fordyce, I think...not G. Garcia, Corky Miller came later)
    Last edited by gm; 04-02-2008 at 05:26 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Dusty says Hatteberg will start tomorrow:

Dusty Baker didn't want to Joey Votto to sit too long, thus his start tonight.

“I don’t want him on that bench too long,” Baker said. “He’s in there tonight. Tomorrow against the lefty, (Scott Hatteberg) usually is better against the lefties than Joey has been. Joey will be better eventually.”

"Votto's got to play some time,” Baker said. "I'd like to play him a lot more. When he’s swinging better, it will be easier."

Hatte is better than Votto against lefties? Last year Hatteberg hit .205/.244/.333 - .577 in 39 atbats compared to Votto's .269/.296/.346 - .642 OPS in 26 atbats. It's a small sample size and neither exactly tore it up, but Votto hit 65 points higher than Hatteberg against lefties so I'm not sure where Dusty gets that Hatte is better against LHP.

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I'm trying the remember the name of the other prospect catcher the Reds had back in '97-'98 who came up "alongside" Bako...any ideas? (IIRC neither of them made it to the ML with Cincy)

(Before LaRue, I think)
    Fordyce?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dusty says Hatteberg will start tomorrow:

Dusty Baker didn't want to Joey Votto to sit too long, thus his start tonight.

“I don’t want him on that bench too long,” Baker said. “He’s in there tonight. Tomorrow against the lefty, (Scott Hatteberg) usually is better against the lefties than Joey has been. Joey will be better eventually.”

"Votto's got to play some time,” Baker said. "I'd like to play him a lot more. When he’s swinging better, it will be easier."

Hatte is better than Votto against lefties? Last year Hatteberg hit .205/.244/.333 - .577 in 39 atbats compared to Votto's .269/.296/.346 - .642 OPS in 26 atbats. It's a small sample size and neither exactly tore it up, but Votto hit 65 points higher than Hatteberg against lefties so I'm not sure where Dusty gets that Hatte is better against LHP.
    Translation: they both are bad vs. lefties so you play the veteran. Votto OPS'd .669 last year vs. lefties in AAA. I expect to see Hatteberg the majority of the time the Reds face a really tough pitcher and a lefty for a while.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Translation: they both are bad vs. lefties so you play the veteran. Votto OPS'd .669 last year vs. lefties in AAA. I expect to see Hatteberg the majority of the time the Reds face a really tough pitcher and a lefty for a while.
    I hope Keppinger gets the nod at 1B against LHP once Gonzalez returns. Neither Hattberg nor Votto should be playing against LHP.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I hope Keppinger gets the nod at 1B against LHP once Gonzalez returns. Neither Hattberg nor Votto should be playing against LHP.
    Agreed on both parts.

Turn Off Ads?