Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Who would you rather have, Hamilton or Kemp?
    I think I'd go with Kemp 'cause we need the RH bat and he is younger but that doesn't mean I think Kemp is a better player. I just think he fits our needs better

2. Turn Off Ads?

Krivsky: I fought for my job
    ENQUIRER STAFF REPORTS

Wayne Krivsky, who was fired just 21 games into his third season with the Reds as general manager, said he fought to keep his job.

"I fought for an hour to keep my job. I love it here, and I love my job. I'm hugely disappointed I'm not able to finish the job. I respect the decision, but I really disagree with it -- strongly," Krivsky said.

Krivsky made the comments after a press conference introducing Walt Jocketty as the team's new general manager.

Although he said he respects the decision from Reds owner Bob Castellini, Krivsky said patience will be required to turn the team around.

"Bob will admit he's an impatient person. But patience is required."

Krivsky said he was proud of his work with the Reds.

"We're one of the more respected organizations in baseball, and I'm damn proud of that," he said.

Reds manager Dusty Baker said the current turnover being experienced in the Reds front office - the team has had four general managers in six years - cannot be sustained if the team is to become successful.

"Good organizations keep a lot of the same people for a period of time if they're working well together," he said.

Baker said Krivsky deserved credit for rebuilding the team's infrastructure.

"Wayne did good things here. He rebuilt the farm system."

Pitcher Aaron Harang said he was surprised at the news.

"It's kind of a shock. I guess things weren't going the way owners felt they could be going," he said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/304230101

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think I'd go with Kemp 'cause we need the RH bat and he is younger but that doesn't mean I think Kemp is a better player. I just think he fits our needs better
    I was waiting for that answer, that is basically how I feel as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Double negative. What do you really mean?
    fat-fingered. fixed it.

Krivsky's downfall (according to Marty) was the dollar value of the players he signed. He overpayed for Patterson (one example) and left Bruce in AAA. Marty is still scratching his head over that one.
    Pennant or bust!

"Wayne did good things here. He rebuilt the farm system."
    Not really a fact, but okay.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    "We're one of the more respected organizations in baseball, and I'm damn proud of that," he said.
    Really?

I thought Wayne did a heck of a job while he was here. Yeah, he should have handled the media better but that's not the worst thing in the world. I think he'll land on his feet somewhere else, and fairly soon.

Yeah, and DanO said he laid the foundation for a dynasty on the way out as well.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Reds fire GM Krivsky after 9-12 start

By JOE KAY – 12 minutes ago

CINCINNATI (AP) — With Walt Jocketty, the question was when.

When would the Cincinnati Reds decide to switch general managers and give Jocketty the chance to turn them into winners?

The answer: 21 games into the season.

Off to their worst start in five years, the Reds fired Wayne Krivsky on Wednesday and replaced him with Jocketty, who built consistent winners during 10 seasons running the Oakland Athletics and 13 with the St. Louis Cardinals.

"We've just come to a point where we're not going to lose anymore," Reds owner Bob Castellini said emphatically.

Jocketty is the fourth general manager in six years for a team that has gone through seven straight losing seasons. The Reds have been through four managers (plus an interim manager) and two owners since 2003, when they moved into Great American Ball Park. It's their deepest slump in a half-century.

Jocketty's job is to provide direction. He'll likely get more of a chance than Krivsky, who walked into Castellini's office on Wednesday morning anticipating a regular baseball meeting.

He was shocked when told he was fired.

"I fought for an hour to keep my job," Krivsky said. "I did not see this coming at all. I still think it's a gold mine. That's what hurts so much, not to see the job through to the end and bring that winner to Cincinnati. I've had visions of being in the clubhouse with champagne being poured all over everybody."

Castellini said a 9-12 start was the main reason he turned to Jocketty, a move that was expected at some point. Krivsky, who was hired before the 2006 season, was in the final year of his contract. Jocketty was hired as a special consultant in January. The two were friends from Castellini's days as part of the Cardinals' ownership group.

When he brought him in as a special assistant in January, Castellini insisted that it was no threat to Krivsky's job. However, he talked to Jocketty about becoming director of baseball operations after this season, giving him time to ease into a major role.

Jocketty was surprised when Castellini asked him to become general manager on Wednesday.

"I knew this was important to Bob," Jocketty said. "I'm charged up and ready to go. I think this organization is going in the right direction."

The move marked a significant change.

When Castellini hired Dusty Baker in the offseason, it was the first time the Reds had gone outside the organization for a manager since Lou Piniella came aboard for the 1990 season. The days of trying unproven managers were done.

Same now with the general manager's job.

The last three general managers — Jim Bowden, Dan O'Brien and Krivsky — were new to the job. Krivsky was the only one of the three hired by Castellini. Jocketty comes with a lot of experience at turning a struggling franchise into a winner.

"I think this organization is a little further along than St. Louis was when I took over in '95," Jocketty said. "This organization has a lot better base to work from."

Jocketty left the Cardinals last year, only one year removed from winning the World Series. Front-office friction left him out of a job even though he'd helped the Cardinals get to the playoffs seven times in 12 seasons.

The Reds haven't been since 1995.

Before going to St. Louis, Jocketty spent 14 years with Oakland overhauling the A's farm system and working in baseball administration. He also was an assistant general manager in Colorado.

Jocketty's job will be to set a course for the impatient owner, who has increased the payroll and expanded the front office during his two years in charge but hasn't been able to produce a winner. Cincinnati's payroll increased from $69 million at the start of last year to $74.3 million on opening day, 18th in the majors.

Krivsky showed a fondness for signing older pitchers and making a flurry of trades. Outfielder Josh Hamilton and second baseman Brandon Phillips resurrected their careers in Cincinnati.

Some of Krivsky's contract decisions backfired. For instance, reliever Mike Stanton was owed $3.5 million when the Reds got rid of him during spring training. Castellini said big contracts that the team absorbed were a factor in the firing, but the 9-12 start was the overriding one.

Krivsky's most high-profile move was an eight-player deal with Washington in 2006 that sent outfielder Austin Kearns and shortstop Felipe Lopez to the Nationals for relievers Gary Majewski and Bill Bray. The deal hasn't made much of an impact for either team.

Jocketty will have a couple of major decisions in the coming months. Ken Griffey Jr. is in the final year of his contract — there's a club option for next year at $16.5 million — and Adam Dunn is making $13 million in the last year of his deal.

Krivsky said he's proud of how the farm system has turned around during his two years as general manager, now rated one of the NL's best. He got tears in his eyes when he talked about how he wouldn't be around to see the results.

"Baseball people recognize the Reds have come a long way," Krivsky said. "I wish more focus would have been on the whole body of work than the 9-12 record, or whatever went into the decision today."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...LrT_gD907QUVO3

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I feel bad for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Not really a fact, but okay.
    How so? Krivsky's FO had a big hand in the development of DOB's few players. Most of the talent down in the minors right now is from Krivsky's regime not DOB. DOB had Bailey and Bruce and what else, Travis Wood maybe? Almarez get's the credit for Cueto and Bowden for Votto.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Really?
    I think he means in dealing with other teams. We went from Bowden to a pretty trustworthy organization probably. Just assuming because of how tight lipped DanO and Wayne were.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

"I fought for an hour to keep my job. I love it here, and I love my job. I'm hugely disappointed I'm not able to finish the job. I respect the decision, but I really disagree with it -- strongly," Krivsky said.

Krivsky made the comments after a press conference introducing Walt Jocketty as the team's new general manager.

Although he said he respects the decision from Reds owner Bob Castellini, Krivsky said patience will be required to turn the team around.

"Bob will admit he's an impatient person. But patience is required."
    I was just posting in a different Wayne thread that likely Bob was on the bubble about Wayne and that somewhere during a normal conversation things went from talking about the team to Wayne negotiating for his job.

Pedro mention being worried about BCast in a different thread (can't keep them all straight). I can't say that I disagree after reading this.

Nothing annoys me more than the term "baseball people."

Turn Off Ads?