Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: New Game Thread Policy

Re: New Game Thread Policy

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    The "Infractions" system was already set up. It wasn't used and I'd suggest that it wasn't used because no game thread posters really had that much of an issue with what was going on in the game threads. Going beyond that, I honestly can't remember when we haven't had a "Report Post" link for every post that was typed.

If anything is over-complicated, it's killing game threads for a month in order to set up a system to properly enforce something that should have already been enforced.
    I'll have to say that this year has had less problems as far as the game thread has gone than in past years. That one incident on that fateful night seemed to get the action, for some reason. It was a bad thing, but the two who caused the problem should have been dealt with. That's ancient history, I guess, since it's been 25 days since that infraction.

And I agree with the timeline of how long it took to get things back rolling. I have to admit that I hope the new system of mods can deal with individuals instead of punishing everyone for a few folks' mistakes. I have hope that it will.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Really, to me, the solution was more mods because monitoring GTs is so labor/time intensive.

Every thing else is basically, "Here's the rules. They're really not any different with the exception that since GTs have been the ORG's biggest source of problems, the mods aren't going to give posters much rope so the rules are spelled out more explicitly".
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    The "Infractions" system was already set up. It wasn't used and I'd suggest that it wasn't used because no game thread posters really had that much of an issue with what was going on in the game threads. Going beyond that, I honestly can't remember when we haven't had a "Report Post" link for every post that was typed.

If anything is over-complicated, it's killing game threads for a month in order to set up a system to properly enforce something that should have already been enforced.
    I don't necessarily disagree with most of the things you said, but regarding your comment that no game thread posters had a problem with what was going on, that much is certainly clear, but the site administrators definitely had a problem with seeing personal attacks and general snotiness in the game threads (when we did take a look at them).

All this new policy really means is that we're much better equipped to handle the posts that violate site rules.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Really, to me, the solution was more mods because monitoring GTs is so labor/time intensive.

Every thing else is basically, "Here's the rules. They're really not any different with the exception that since GTs have been the ORG's biggest source of problems, the mods aren't going to give posters much rope so the rules are spelled out more explicitly".
    That is spot on.

All,

Based on feedback offered within this thread, we have added the ability for moderators to issue warnings, rather than infractions, for some of the less offensive violations. By no means are they required to issue a warning before an infraction, particularly if the offense is blatant enough and warrants the latter, but this does create the option of allowing moderators to issue a warning without incrementing a user's infraction level.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Beyond belief, true

I know that common web sites with good traffic consume a great deal of time to monitor etc., they are like giant sponges in time consumption, one can spend their entire day working on them, monitoring them over and over. I can’t imagine the time expenditure monitoring a message board, it has to be even worse than common web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Beyond belief, true

I know that common web sites with good traffic consume a great deal of time to monitor etc., they are like giant sponges in time consumption, one can spend their entire day working on them, monitoring them over and over. I can’t imagine the time expenditure monitoring a message board, it has to be even worse than common web sites.
    Back when I actually moderated every post of a game thread, it would take me a solid two hours to get through it all. If I moderated the GT in real time, it took even longer (~5 hours to include pre- and post-game). For volunteer work, that's a lot to ask of any moderator every evening.

This is why the I love the report post function so much. It saves us mods all kinds of time as we aren't stuck reading every single post.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-11-2008 at 02:59 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Back when I actually moderated every post of a game thread, it would take me a solid two hours to get through it all. If I moderated the GT in real time, it took even longer (~5 hours to include pre- and post-game). For volunteer work, that's a lot to ask of any moderator every evening.
    Agreed...that's why I think it was important to add five new moderators to that forum.

The change about the warning is excellent. Adding Moderators to the GT is also a very good call.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    This is why the I love the report post function so much. It saves us mods all kinds of time as we aren't stuck reading every single post.
    I believe that

As a single individual would not even have a life, as chunk of their waking time is consumed.

and then the multiplyer effect with additional labor x time

That is a solid enough reason right there for us posters to really be considerate and to keep a control on ourselves in posting, regardless of the Reds this or that.

I am glad you disclosed that, I will make a better effort to keep a lid on my ......

Addendum:

Another point is that this site is not maintained by large corporations with seemly endless deep pockets and resources, this is not Cincinnati Enquirer, ESPN, CBS, FOX, Yahoo, or MSNBC et el.

This site is maintained by a couple of individuals and volunteers, supported by some concerned members in an attempt to give the rest of us a decent venue to discuss the Reds and other topics on non-baseball.

If some of us as posters continue to make it unduly more difficult for those individuals it would not be any problem for them one day to just make a phone call and to pull the plug on this site, within hours it would disappear.

It is a credit to them, and very generous, that they haven’t said, “who needs this crap” already.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-11-2008 at 04:22 PM.

I'm not trying to complain, but it seems a bit odd that the lineup thread was locked, the lineups were cut and pasted on the game thread page (which is also locked) and will then be unlocked at a particular time.

I know the mods want to limit the time that the game thread is open, yet at the same time, it seems reasonable to be able to discuss the lineups as soon as they are available.

I don't know what the answer is, but I hope there can be a little bit more flexiblity than effectively shutting down all conversation about the game other than the specified game thread window opening time...

Again, just an observation, not an attack.. I know I'm free to post elsewhere if I don't like it...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I know the mods want to limit the time that the game thread is open, yet at the same time, it seems reasonable to be able to discuss the lineups as soon as they are available.
    Agreed, REDREAD. I think this is especially important for those of us that are going to the game and would like to discuss/read about the lineup or pitchers or whatever before they have to leave. I mean, I too understand the desire to limit the amount of moderation required, but even when the lineups were posted some 3 odd hours before game time there would be 2, maybe 3 pages tops consisting of 1 line posts about the lineups. That doesn't seem too cumbersome to me.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It's just the first day, guys. Let them get their ducks in a row for the maiden voyage before you complain. Sheesh!
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm not trying to complain, but it seems a bit odd that the lineup thread was locked, the lineups were cut and pasted on the game thread page (which is also locked) and will then be unlocked at a particular time.

I don't know what the answer is, but I hope there can be a little bit more flexiblity than effectively shutting down all conversation about the game other than the specified game thread window opening time...

Again, just an observation, not an attack.. I know I'm free to post elsewhere if I don't like it...
    You have a point and a point that could also help keep the clutter down on the new game threads

Lineup discussion is really something different from game threads or game thread participation that should perhaps have it's own discussion place in the ORG and not in the game threads. I mean it makes sense to post the lineup in the game thread as a prelude. But full blown discussions of the lineups pro's and con's probably should be discussed in ORG, otherwise the game thread will start out with 1-3 pages of wading through to look for game content.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    It's just the first day, guys. Let them get their ducks in a row for the maiden voyage before you complain. Sheesh!
    Not trying to tick anybody off, but the game threads were suspended for nearly a month, so there was plenty of time to figure all this out. I don't have a problem letting them know I 'd like to discuss/read about the lineups before I have to leave early to get to the game.

Turn Off Ads?