Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freel=Reds everyday CF*

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Freel=Reds everyday CF*

The asterisk refers to the fact that the Freel Dog cannot physically play every day. The Reds will need to mix in some C-Patt from time to time. But has Freel just flat-out won this job with his solid play or what. Hopefully he keeps it up -- he's headed for a career year. His highest batting average and on-base percentage in a season in which he had over 200 at-bats was .277/.375 in 2004 (career-high 505 at bats). In addition, Freel hit .271 with a .372 OBP in 2005 (369 ABs) and also hit .271 in 2006 with a OBP of .363 (454 ABs).

Freel is a consistent .275 hitter with a good on-base percentage when he gets a lot of starts. His career numbers indicates he plays better the more ABs he gets. This would conflict with the opinion some have that Freel breaks down too easy. Yes, he is going to get banged up from time to time with the hard-nosed manner in which he plays, but as long as he can avoid the major injuries, he will be fine. Freel's worst year was last year (.245/.308) when he only had 277 ABs and was hurt all season, even when he played. Again, Freel is not an everyday CF like Grady Sizemore is an everyday CF, Corey Patterson is going to need to play on occasion, but you can pretty much mark down Ryan Freel as the Reds' everyday CF IMO. He has won the job with his on-field performance.

Loved it when he put a stop to all the "quick pitching" that Cliff Lee was trying to pull. Freel stared right back at him, then got a big hit which started a two-run inning.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Freel=Reds everyday CF*

I've quietly not given up on the guy either. I dig his hustle. Sue me.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I've quietly not given up on the guy either. I dig his hustle. Sue me.
    Same here. It just seems like really good things happen offensively when he is in the game. It's one of those thing that stats don't measure, but he has a quiet impact. I dig the hustle as well and you can always count on him to give 100%, everytime.

He's the hot guy right now. The Reds should ride him until he inevitably cools down.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    He's the hot guy right now. The Reds should ride him until he inevitably cools down.
    That's about it. What are the alternatives?

Code:
                     BA    OB%   SLG%  OPS  
    pre AS Break    .282  .369  .407  .776 
    post AS Break   .241  .331  .336  .667
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

[quote=GAC;1634925]That's about it. What are the alternatives?

Jay Bruce?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He will play a single into a double, but for the most part I agree he's won at least a straight platoon.

Just have Dusty tell him not to dive for everything and me and Freel are okay.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Just have Dusty tell him not to dive for everything and me and Freel are okay.
    No kidding. If he could just play within his abilities, he'd be SO much better... but then he wouldn't be Farney, would he?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Or they could platoon him because he's still one of the elite supersubs in the game.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    He will play a single into a double.....
    .....then he gets picked off second base. Then after he goes out in the field, he dives for a liner, playing their single into a double......

I think we should 'sell high' on Freel. His current line, .320/.356/.392 for an OPS of .748, will never be higher.

But Freel should never play every day, even if he could. Look at his lefty/righty splits:

vs. lefties: .362/.400/.468 for an OPS of .868.
    vs. righties: .267/.306/.311 for an OPS of .617

The only reason his average is so high is that he is not playing too much vs. righties: only 45 ABs vs. 47 vs. lefties. Put him out there every day, and 75% of his ABs will be vs. righties, and that avaerage will plummet, even aside from him getting worn down or injured via his reckless play.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Or they could platoon him because he's still one of the elite supersubs in the game.
    Agreed. I absolutely hate his defense in CF, but his hitting skills vs. lefites over Patterson is too big to ignore. Against righties, Patterson is close enough to Freel hitting wise for his fielding to easily trump Freel.

For the time being, a strict platoon makes tons of sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Agreed. I absolutely hate his defense in CF, but his hitting skills vs. lefites over Patterson is too big to ignore. Against righties, Patterson is close enough to Freel hitting wise for his fielding to easily trump Freel.

For the time being, a strict platoon makes tons of sense to me.
    As long as Freel keeps hitting lefties, I agree. But last year he didn't hit lefties worth a darn.

Freel's 2007 line:
    vs. lefties: .143/.172/.250 for an OPS of .422 in 112 ABs.
    vs. righties: .315/.392/.412 for an OPS of .804 in 165 ABs.

Weird. Opposite of this year....What do you make of that, other than Freel's splits don't work....
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 05-18-2008 at 07:01 PM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Reading some of the comments one would think Ryan Freel was a below-average defensive outfielder. Quite the contrary IMO. Yes, he will burn us on occasion with a boneheaded decision to dive for a ball 20 feet away from him which turns a single into a double, but overall he helps more than he hurts. He will track a ball down and is getting better jumps on the ball this year. He will never have great instincts as an OF but he's getting better and he has the speed and fearlessness to track anything down.

Plus, Freel's got a very strong throwing arm. The best on the team, in fact. Well, until Mr. Jay Bruce gets here. That will change everything. If Griffey is healthy (and still here) then Bruce plays CF of course and Freel goes back to a reserve role. But in the meantime, Freel has to be the everyday* guy in CF and the leadoff batter. And if Griffey gets hurt or something and that's what makes them bring Bruce up, Bruce can play RF and Freel can remain the everyday* CF (with some C-Pattery mixed in).

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Reading some of the comments one would think Ryan Freel was a below-average defensive outfielder. Quite the contrary IMO.

I believe he is a below average CF, quite easily.

Patterson is very much better.

And Patterson hits RH pitchers much better.

A platoon is in order.

Turn Off Ads?