Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

I just saw the Janish throwing error for the first time. That is a ball that Hairston doesn't even get a glove on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Arroyo was pitching fine until the 33 pitch third inning. If Hairston make that play then it saves him 8-10 pitches and two runs. His stuff really flattened out after that inning.
    Other pitchers overcome errors. 12 baserunners in 5 innings is asking to have your head kicked in, error or not.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-20-2008 at 10:46 AM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

i went to bed and didn't see the game. i do have one comment: Dunn in LF, Jr in RF, Hairston at SS, Freel at 3B. yuck. all are either poor or downright awful at these positions. it doesn't suprise me that the Reds D was poor last night.
    Yep. When both corner OF spots are going to be weak most nights, to torpedo the left side of the infield is asking for trouble. I think we're waiting till 09 to get a solid defense on the field most nights. You can carry 1-2 weak defenders at 1B/3B/RF/LF, but that should be all.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Other pitchers overcome errors. 12 baserunners in 5 innings is asking to have your head kicked in, error or not.
    A lot of those baserunners were _due_ to errors. The Hairston throw, Freel not gunning down Kemp (I think it was), Jr's bad transfer from the glove. All of the Dodgers' runs, except the last one, were scored with two outs. All of the Dodgers' runs came after defensive miscues.

At worst, Bronson should've been together again with Chris, beef hoagies and a 7-2 lead when he left.

That was a team loss.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    A lot of those baserunners were _due_ to errors. The Hairston throw, Freel not gunning down Kemp (I think it was), Jr's bad transfer from the glove. All of the Dodgers' runs, except the last one, were scored with two outs. All of the Dodgers' runs came after defensive miscues.

At worst, Bronson should've been together again with Chris, beef hoagies and a 7-2 lead when he left.

That was a team loss.
    Since when are 9 hits and 3 BBs attributable to "errors?" How many of those baserunners followed "miscues?" (Officially there was only two errors.)
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-20-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Arroyo was pitching fine until the 33 pitch third inning. If Hairston make that play then it saves him 8-10 pitches and two runs. His stuff really flattened out after that inning.
    IMO the Reds need to have Bruce in RF and Janish at SS. We still have Dunn and of course EE has his moments but with these two changes we have a decent major league defense out there. it is tough to criticze the pitchers when they give up a lot of 'hits' that could/should be outs with better defense.

Who would have thought we'd miss Keppinger's defense? Last night reminded me of the Felipe Lopez days not the Jeff Keppinger time.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    IMO the Reds need to have Bruce in RF and Janish at SS. We still have Dunn and of course EE has his moments but with these two changes we have a decent major league defense out there. it is tough to criticze the pitchers when they give up a lot of 'hits' that could/should be outs with better defense.
    I want nothing more than for Bruce to be in RF and Janish at SS every day. That way, folks can get a good look at the pitching for what it really is, and not what they think it could be with good defense. But Bruce won't be the everyday RF till Griffey is dealt or next year, so....

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Since when are 9 hits and 3 BBs attributable to "errors?" How many of those baserunners followed "miscues?" (Officially there was only two errors.)
    Who said _all_ 9 hits and 3 BB are attributable to errors?

With 2 out in the 3rd inning:

Russell Martin reached on error to third (Grounder). Juan Pierre scored on error. Andre Ethier scored on error. Russell Martin advanced to 2B. Error by Jerry Hairston.
    After that, Kent walked, and Loney flied out. Had Hairston made the easy play, inning over, no walk. So there's 2 runs scored, 1 hit and 1 walk due to "error."

In the 5th, after a run had scored, 2 outs, runners on first and second:

Matt Kemp singled to right (Fliner (Liner)). Jeff Kent scored. James Loney advanced to 3B.
    I believe this is the play where Jr. fumbled the ball a bit, IMO, a "miscue." I think he should've had Loney out at third. After that:

Blake Dewitt singled to left (Liner). James Loney scored. Matt Kemp advanced to 2B.
    If Jr. makes the play, again, inning over.

I'm not saying that Bronson mowed them down out there, but I am saying if you want to hang the loss on something, hang it on last night's defense.

How many hits did we get from the 3rd inning on last night?? It could'nt have been more than 5 hits.Yes the throwing errors really hurt us but some of the blame has to go to our ofense as well.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    How many hits did we get from the 3rd inning on last night?? It could'nt have been more than 5 hits.Yes the throwing errors really hurt us but some of the blame has to go to our ofense as well.
    Yeah, but a LOT of credit needs to go to the Dodger bullpen. Beimel's absolutely death on lefties, Broxton's stuff is just unfair, and Saito's ball darts every which way but straight. If the Reds had that bullpen last year, they might've won about 15 more games than they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Yeah, but a LOT of credit needs to go to the Dodger bullpen. Beimel's absolutely death on lefties, Broxton's stuff is just unfair, and Saito's ball darts every which way but straight. If the Reds had that bullpen last year, they might've won about 15 more games than they did.

Yeah very true!! I just thought of one more thing that really hurt us was Dusty not getting a pitcher up to warm up in the 5th inning so he could take Bronson out.Ah hopefully we can get them tonight.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

How many bases did the Reds end up giving away between getting thrown out and two base errors?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?